It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pain Management Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-09-2009, 07:14 PM   #1
(male)

skip89 HB User
Types of hydrocodone

In terms of generic, is watson brand considered better than some others? I am familiar with malincroft, spelling off I know. A nurse told me the watsons have a better reputation. Opinions please ...

Old 06-10-2009, 11:44 AM   #2
(female)

jdsun HB User
Re: Types of hydrocodone

I have been on both brands and prefer the watson. I read somewhere on this forum that there can be quite a difference in the amount of active ingredient between the generic brands (up to 20% I think). This is true for all generic drugs.

My regular pharmacy was having a problem getting in my 10/325 hydrocodones (mallicraft brand) so I had to get my sript filled at a different pharmacy. They filled it with the watson brand I had better pain coverage that month. I switched all my scripts to this new pharmacy now.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-10-2009, 01:29 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(male)

brianpain33 HB Userbrianpain33 HB User

The Mallincrodt generic brand of hydrocodone products is the worst. Most of the chain pharmacies (CVS, Walgreens, Walmart, etc.) use this brand because they are the cheapest. I get the Watson brand of Vicodin and they work well for me.

brian

Old 06-10-2009, 02:23 PM   #4
(female)

jdsun HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by brianpain33 View Post
The Mallincrodt generic brand of hydrocodone products is the worst. Most of the chain pharmacies (CVS, Walgreens, Walmart, etc.) use this brand because they are the cheapest. I get the Watson brand of Vicodin and they work well for me.

brian
I get my Watson at one of these chain pharmacies. Hopefully, they will continue to carry it and not switch on me I really did notice a difference in pain coverage.

Old 06-11-2009, 09:09 AM   #5
(male)

AlanVA HB User

I think I started and was on the watson brands for a long while and then at some point the pharmacy probably switched to the mallicroft brand and that might have been when I started to develope issues with getting sick from the pain meds where before, the 1-2 pills as needed every 4-6 hours was never a problem but now I will throw up if I need to go to that level/freq of meds so now I balance the pain relief requirements over the desire not to throw up later.

Just to satisfy my own curiosity, on the latest script, I hunted for a pharmacy that only carried the watson brand to see if I can notice any difference (just going to finish out the current mallicroft batch) and then switch over.

It wasn't until the 4th pharmacy I tried where I found the watson brands for a couple of things I was getting filled (and I was going to give up after the 4th). I guess asking the manufacturer's name isn't so odd of a request because when I showed them the written scripts and asked which manufacturer they used, they all went to whatever shelf the item was on, pulled it down and showed the container to me and each pharmacy tech treated my question no different than if I asked them what time it was.

One tech at one of the big chains even apologized to me saying they use to carry the watson brands but had to switch when their distributor/buyer ordered the cheaper generic so I guess I wasn't the first person who ever asked her that question.

Old 06-11-2009, 06:08 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(male)

brianpain33 HB Userbrianpain33 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlanVA View Post
Just to satisfy my own curiosity, on the latest script, I hunted for a pharmacy that only carried the watson brand to see if I can notice any difference (just going to finish out the current mallicroft batch) and then switch over.
I am guessing that you will find out that it is the Mallincrodt brand making your throw up. I did not throw up while taking that brand but did have alot of nausea. I don't get that while taking the Watson brand. Let us know what happens.

brian

Old 06-11-2009, 07:47 PM   #7
(male)

skip89 HB User

So far over welming in favor of Watson brand. Very interesting. Is all of your experiences recently?

Old 06-11-2009, 10:35 PM   #8
Inactive
(female)

PNo HB User

There is always this ongoing debate on brands but not everyone has problems. I am extremely medication sensitive and have not really noticed differences in various brands - name or generic of most any medication I have taken. I take the strongest watson as a breakthrough med and they work fine, but I have taken mallencroft with no problem either. You might have allergies to the dyes or fillers. My husband had a problem with his blood pressure medicine because of the dye in the pill - it made him itch like crazy.

Just curious is the amount of tylenol in your script constant or has that dose changed?

Closed Thread