It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pain Management Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-11-2009, 06:31 PM   #1
(female)

wheezySue HB User
please help - need alternative to oramorph concentrated solution!!

Please can anyone give some alternative medications to taking Oramorph concentrated solution (thats an immediate release morphine solution).

I am currently taking 600mg MST twice a day (slow release morphine tabs) and then using 200mg oramorph concentrated solution up to every 4hrs if needed for breakthrough pain.

Unfortunately the local pharmacys are unable to provide it due to a problem with manufacturer, apparently its unavailable.

There is a lower strength but it would mean taking 200mls of liquid!!!

The pharmacist could not suggest an alternative drug at the dosage i need, infact they have been really useless, i waited 10 days for medication to arrived only then to find they still could not get hold of it (only when i called them), spent time sorting it yesterday, my GP sent another script which they promised would come out to me today, at 4pm i called chemist again only to find the replacemet script was still no good as it requested same sort of thing and am now on my last few doses of oramorph.

I have to call my doctor and chemist first thing in morning to try and get something else sorted. I'm a little worried as i know without good pain control my breathing will get worse and then its likely to be a hospital visit which i really really do not want
I have respiratory failure and am oxygen dependant and get severe right sided chest pain, if left uncontrolled it prevents me doing the necessary deep breathing and chest physio which then makes breathing worse...pain gets worse.....and so on until i end up in a serious condition.

Anyway can anyone suggest and alternative to high dose immediate release morphine. Either an alternative brand to Oramorph or a different drug altogether. Many thanks

Sue

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-11-2009, 06:42 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

brianpain33 HB Userbrianpain33 HB User
Re: please help - need alternative to oramorph concentrated solution!!

Sue,
You are really in a bit of a bind aren't you? Since you are on a high dose of morphine then I would suggest the fentanyl patch. It is a patch that you wear and has a very strong, actually the strongest narcotic medication called fentanyl. The name brand here in the U.S. is called the Duragesic patch. Your doctor would have you change it every 3 days although many people including me had to go to changing every 2 days. I don't know what the name brand would be over there but ask your doctor or pharmacist about the fentanyl patch. Your doctor would need to start you out on an equivalent dose that you are already on with the morphine.

My other suggestion would be Methadone. I don't know if your doctors over there presribe Methadone for pain. It has been used in the past for heroine addiction but has been used recently here in the US for pain and is very cheap.

You could also try oxycodone. You could try the long acting oxycodone. It is called Oxycontin over here in the US. I hope that you are able to get started on something else. Please let us know what happens ok?

brian

p.s. I just did a search and there are 3 different brands of fentanyl patch in the UK called Durogesic, DTrans, and Tilofyl.

Last edited by brianpain33; 06-11-2009 at 06:47 PM.

Old 06-11-2009, 06:48 PM   #3
(female)

wheezySue HB User

thanks Brian, appreciate the quick reply. Will talk to my gp first thing, and will definatley mention the fentanyl, does it come in any other way than patches?

Old 06-12-2009, 01:23 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(male)

brianpain33 HB Userbrianpain33 HB User

It does come in a losenge and sucker form but these are mainly for cancer pain only and are used for BT (break through) pain only. The patch is extended release and lasts for 2 - 3 days depending on your metabolism. Let us know what happens.

brian

Closed Thread