It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pain Management Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-20-2009, 10:21 AM   #1
(female)

auntiedi HB User
How long does nerve blocking injection last

How long does nerve blocking injection last. My husband got this injection last night around 6pm and it is still numb this am at 10:00 a.m. How long will this be numb?

Old 06-22-2009, 12:00 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

brianpain33 HB Userbrianpain33 HB User
Re: How long does nerve blocking injection last

It will probably only last 24 - 48 hours so by the time you are reading this reply I am sure the area is not numb any more. If it is still numb then let the doctor know.

brian

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-02-2009, 05:15 AM   #3
(female)

bigsandy HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by brianpain33 View Post
It will probably only last 24 - 48 hours so by the time you are reading this reply I am sure the area is not numb any more. If it is still numb then let the doctor know.

brian
Hi, I have had two facet joint nerve blocks. The first one I was numb for a few hours, not days. That one lasted about three months.

I just went for a second injection that doesn't seem to be taking at all. It has been a week and I still have a lot of pain. I didn't get any of the numbing effect this time and wonder why?

My Dr. has ordered another injection that I haven't decided if I am going to do yet. The last injection was more painful than the first. And it was in a different area too that I need to question.

Can you get a injection in the same place twice? First one was right and left side C-7/T-1 and the second one looked like the injection sites were one on top of the other?

I'm tired of the pain and quite frustrated because the injection worked the first time and not the last. I'm not wanting to go through that again for no less pain.

No, I'm not being a baby because I do have a high threshold for pain, I just wonder if the outcome will be worth it.

Old 07-02-2009, 12:05 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(male)

brianpain33 HB Userbrianpain33 HB User

I have seen very few people that had successful outcomes with the injections. If the last injection did nothing then I would not do it again. Did you ask your PM doctor how many injections he was planning on doing? There are alot of PM doctor that do injections only and that is how they make the big bucks. There are many that do not even prescribe medications. Does your PM doctor prescribe any medication to you?

brian

Old 07-03-2009, 05:04 AM   #5
(female)

bigsandy HB User

Hi Brian, No, neither one of my Dr. offered me any medication. Just told me to take Aleve or something like that. When I first had my fusion I was taking Hydrocodone or something like it but a little stronger. They won't re-new that but it seems like the only thing that helped.

I was seeing a quack dr. that didn't want to do any but give me trigger point injections that did nothing. I jumped at the chance of a facet joint injection because they used the florascope and could see exact point of where the stuff was going. And I had to go back to a different Dr. to find out that there was a facet joint involved in the first place.

I refused to "just live with" statement from the Dr. that did the surgery.

Since I did have a little break from the pain from the first facet joint injection, about three months, I thought I'd go for another one. Well, that one didn't work, wonder why the Dr. told me "good luck" when he was finished. Is it a hit or miss? It was supposed to be in the right place, which I questioning because of the placement of the injection sites.

Then when the first one took I had looked at a few places for information about the rf ablation. When I asked the Dr. who did the injections he said he hadn't had any request for them in the past and was hesitant to do that in the neck area anyway and told me to find someone else who would.

What, is this whole thing with pain management is just a turkeyshoot?

I know it's all HUGE money, I have seen the bills sent to my insurance company. Maybe they don't want it to work either cause they all would be without jobs too.

The triggerpoint injections cost me $100 a wack co-pay because they were done in the hospital, BIG mistake on my part and they didn't even work. I am so angry. Facet injections being done in Radiology is only costing me $25 each co-pay. They could charge me nothing it's all how it is billed.

I know there are only so many injections they can do in a specific time period. They didn't tell me how many they were planning. I took it as when it wears off I make another appointment.

I have been getting shots in my elbow and thumb too. Knock on wood the ones in my thumb lasted almost a year, my elbow not quite as long.

The pain in my shoulder that stems from my neck kills me all the time. I don't know where to go from here. All I know is that I'm not doing surgery again. Not for a very long time at the least.

Sandy!

Closed Thread