It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pain Management Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-21-2009, 03:09 AM   #1
(female)

New To CP HB User
Question Norco Keep You Awake???

Hey everyone, I just recently started taking Fentanyl for LA pain relief for CP and Fibromyalgia. My doctor also decided to keep me on the Norco 10/325's for BT pain. I've noticed this more now since I'm tracking my sleep progress, but when I take the Norco I get insomnia... This used to happen before I took the Fentanyl as well, but it's more pronounced now it seems. If I take it anytime after 3 or 4 in the afternoon, I'll be up all night (as I am now, it's 5am). Even though my pain will be relieved a bit, I can't sleep. I can lay down and turn off the lights and try to meditate, but still wide awake. Oh, I even take a benzo (Triazolam) for insomnia, and it has no effect on the "Norco" insomnia!!

Does this happen to anyone else? If so, have you found anything that works. Does this last forever on Norco? Does it get better with time the more you take it or worse? Stay the same? Thanks in advance for any advice you can give!

-An eye for and eye leaves the whole world blind.

Old 06-21-2009, 04:21 AM   #2
(male)

tata616 HB User
Re: Norco Keep You Awake???

Hi I noticed that oxycodone would give me restless sleep. I would sleep it just would not be quality sleep as I would be VERY wakeful. I tried benadryl (diphenhydramine) 50mg and this would help some. I told my neurosurgeon and he prescribed AMBIEN but I thought twice about a sleeping pill. I told my PM and he prescribed LYRICA which puts me out and keeps me out as well as deals with more pain issues. I would check this with your PM see what he thinks. I have no experience with Fentanyl or NORCO (which is probably just like my Oxy 5mg dose) but see if he will prescribe LYRICA. It is expensive. All the best.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-21-2009, 07:54 AM   #3
Inactive
(male)

Executor HB UserExecutor HB UserExecutor HB UserExecutor HB UserExecutor HB UserExecutor HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by New To CP View Post
My doctor also decided to keep me on the Norco 10/325's for BT pain. I've noticed this more now since I'm tracking my sleep progress, but when I take the Norco I get insomnia
Sounds as if the med is targeting the excitement pathways (receptors) and thus, is acting like a stimulant. With some people, pain meds produce a paradoxical effect...Opposite of what they are intended. For example, this is why stimulants are given to those with ADHD....Calms them down. What you are experiencing is why some abuse pain meds.

Hope you start to feel better.

Regards,

Ex

Old 06-21-2009, 04:04 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

SpinalMalady HB UserSpinalMalady HB User

Honestly, JMHO, and from your other post, I would stay away from Lyrica, or any other type of Nerve medicine, as the symptoms of forgetfulness, spelling, and etc may only be compounded with the nerve types of medications. This is only from my experience, but I had terrible side effects (similar to what you described and worse, stopping at green lights, etc) from Nurontin, Lyrica, and still have the spelling issues (but to a managable degree) on Topamax.

I agree with what Ex has said in this post, and the other, that perhaps the Norco is acting as a stimulant, and perhaps you are overmedicated. These are serious issues, and I would speak with my PM pronto about these side effects.

Best of luck that you get these issues under control ASAP.

12/10/04 MicroD & Hemi Lami 100% Success
09/05 Re-injured post Katrina
06-07 In Pain Mgmt. trying to deal
3/9/07 2 Level PLIF due to CES

Old 06-22-2009, 02:36 AM   #5
(female)

New To CP HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by tata616 View Post
I told my PM and he prescribed LYRICA which puts me out and keeps me out as well as deals with more pain issues. I would check this with your PM see what he thinks.
Tata, I really appreciate your suggestions abt the Benadryl and the Lyrica. I may try the Benadryl, but my PM and I have already discussed the Lyrica. It's a big no-no for those with bi-polar disorder as it can cause major negative psychological side effects when mixed with anti-depressants. I appreciate the suggestions though!

Old 06-22-2009, 05:36 AM   #6
(female)

katlovesdogs HB User

Opiates have ALWAYS kept me awake. I never got drowsy and my Dr approved Ambien ( no the CR ).. I take that on occasion. I know not to take my MS Contn or a BT Percocet too close to bedtime

Old 06-22-2009, 07:23 AM   #7
(female)

Brosiah HB User

Quote:

Does this happen to anyone else? If so, have you found anything that works. Does this last forever on Norco? Does it get better with time the more you take it or worse? Stay the same? Thanks in advance for any advice you can give!
I started taking ambien that last couple nights but it hasnt helped much. Before ambien I took trazadone for sleep and it helped with the wakefullness that norco gives me. Ambien hasnt been working well for that...so Im am swtiching back.

Last edited by Brosiah; 06-22-2009 at 07:31 AM. Reason: typo

Old 06-22-2009, 08:14 AM   #8
(female)

New To CP HB User

Thank you Kat & Brosiah, Glad to know that I'm not the only one. I have had several responses in regards to this post with some saying the same as you and some saying that there is a strong possibility of me being 'overmedicated'. I'm going to look into all possibilities and am open to all suggestions. Thanks again!

Old 06-22-2009, 04:39 PM   #9
Senior Veteran
(male)

brianpain33 HB Userbrianpain33 HB Userbrianpain33 HB User

Quote:
already discussed the Lyrica. It's a big no-no for those with bi-polar disorder as it can cause major negative psychological side effects when mixed with anti-depressants. I appreciate the suggestions though!
Hey New to CP:
What exactly did you mean by problems with the Lyrica. I have Bipolar as well and am on an anti-depressant(Lexapro) and take Lyrica. I was just curious? I do take generic Benadryl at bedtime to help me sleep and just started on Buspar to helpl with my anxiety and it is helping me sleep a little better too.

brian

Old 06-22-2009, 10:19 PM   #10
(female)

New To CP HB User

Hey Brian,

After talking with my PCP, my psychiatrist and my PM, they are all in agreement in that Lyrica is not good to take when you are on Anti Depressants. While the side effect aren't too common, there is a huge risk associated with mixing these drugs. The combo can cuse major ups & downs and mory scary, increased desire with suicide. I chose to avoid those possiblities in taking another drug, simply because I am happy with my psych drgs and don't want to do anything to jeopardize my mental sanity.. Hope this answers your questions

Old 06-22-2009, 11:39 PM   #11
Facilitator
(female)

SpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB User

This happens for me on vicodin, norco, percocet and anything similar. Often it's a choice between "do I want to reduce the pain but be unable to sleep or hope to fall asleep and not take the pain medications?". Anytime I've had surgery my husband knows he'll sleep in the guest room so I can watch TV at all hours of the night if needed :-)

I've recently changed to Opana ER and take less break through vicodin and am sleeping much better.

Closed Thread