It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pain Management Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-25-2009, 06:45 PM   #1
(male)

Ronn9 HB UserRonn9 HB User
Anybody here ever take neurontin and or zanaflex and or norco`s ??

This is the newest round of meds my doc has put me on since my neck fusion. I have a plate and two rods and 12 screws in my neck. Any info on any of these drugs would be muchly appreciated

Old 06-25-2009, 08:25 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

brianpain33 HB Userbrianpain33 HB Userbrianpain33 HB User
Re: Anybody here ever take neurontin and or zanaflex and or norco`s ??

Wow that has got to hurt having that fusion in your neck. I am glad to see you came to the pain management board and welcome aboard. As for the drugs you mentioned:

Neurontin (gabapentin) - this is an anti-seizure medication also used to treat bipolar disease as well as nerve pain. It effects certain parts of the brain that control pain. It can be very effective on nerve pain for certain people. I was on it and it did not do much for me but everyone is different. It can cause side effects of drowsiness, sedation, dry mouth, dizzyness, lightheaded.

Norco (hydrocodone APAP) - this is a version of hydrocodone similar to Vicodin and Lortabs. Norco tends to have higher strengths and less acetaminophen in it than the Lortab or Vicodin. It is a Schedule III narcotic pain medication and should be taken exactly as prescribed. The side effects can be: dizziness, lightheaded, euphoria, drowsiness, sedation, nausea, vomiting, and itching.

Zanaflex - a muscle relaxer type medication that is effective for muscle spasms and tightness in muscles. I have never take this one but I think it is a controlled substance too (Schedule III or IV) and should be taken only as prescribed. Side effects: dizziness, drowsiness, sedation.

Please be EXTREMELY CAREFUL IF YOU ARE GOING TO DRIVE and be aware of how you feel on these medications. Take these medications exactly as prescribed and do not take them more often than prescribed. If your pain is not being controlled very well, please call your doctor and let them know to see if they will increase or change your medications. If you have any intolerable side effects while on them, please call your doctor. If you have any other questions, feel free to ask. There are alot of caring and knowledgeable people on this forum.

brian

Last edited by brianpain33; 06-25-2009 at 08:26 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-26-2009, 06:13 PM   #3
(male)

Awesome !! Thanks I have been in the spinal cord forum a million times but never thought to come here . Thanks for the good info I appreciate it. I found those definitions online too, But I was wondering about ppl`s personal experience with these meds, and if my issue is pain why are they giving me a med for seizures??? strange to me......

Old 06-28-2009, 08:40 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

deeannek HB User

I don't have any experience with Norco but have had vicodin and lortab. My experience with that drug is I walked around nauseous or actually vomiting most of the day. It just doesn't agree with me. I was switched to morphine a couple of years ago and I have zero nausea and really good pain relief. I know lots of people take this without problems but thats my experience. Neurotin does not work well for me either. I have meralgia in my legs and when I took this it made it worse. I don't know why. Zanaflex I am currently using and it is working very well for me. There are a couple of minor side effects ( constipation and sleepiness) Both issues were pretty easily resolved for me. Just keep in mind that these medication effect everyone differently and many people take these drugs with no problems. Did you have a specific question? If so ask away. I am sure you will find people here have a lot of experience and are very helpful.

Old 06-28-2009, 11:10 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

Toonces1 HB UserToonces1 HB UserToonces1 HB UserToonces1 HB UserToonces1 HB User

Neurontin is used for a lot of things. I am taking it for nerve pain. It doesn't work for me like a narcotic pain med, but rather prevents some of the nerve pain in my arm (due to cervical spine issues). I still get the pain, but it is at least a little better than it was before I was taking this. A lot of people say it makes them sleepy, but it does not do this to me.

I took Zanaflex for a short time and it worked well. My insurance didn't cover it, so I had to switch back to Soma. Zanaflex and Skelexin both worked very well for muscle spasms, which I had in a terrible way after my first fusion. My head would twitch and jerk to the side about every 10 seconds, which was excruciating, as you can imagine. I hope you are not experiencing this!

I have never taken Norco, but I think it has the same active medications as Vicodin, which I took for about 6 months after my surgery. Unfortunately, after while the pain relief only lasted for about 1.5 hours which was awful because I then had another 2.5 hours to live in pain.

Good luck!!!!

Old 06-28-2009, 12:20 PM   #6
(male)

Thanks for your insight it is appreciated

Old 06-29-2009, 12:54 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(male)

brianpain33 HB Userbrianpain33 HB Userbrianpain33 HB User

I can tell you that I used to take Neurontin and even though it was originally an anti-seizure medication it is useful for nerve pain as well. It did not help me very well and I was switched to something very similar called Lyrica(another anti-serizure medication). If the Neurontin is not working well or you are experiencing terrible side effects then ask about the Lyrica. The anti-seizure medications are very useful for nerve pain for some reason. There are other anti-seizure meds too: Topomax, Trileptal, Tegretol that are effective for nerve pain. I also take Trileptal which helps my bipolar disease but also my nerve pain as well.

brian

Old 07-01-2009, 05:47 AM   #8
Veteran
(female)

dolejaly HB User

I had tried the neurontin and the side effects were terrible for me, I ended up having a sickening headache that wouldn't go away, constant lightheadedness, so it didn't help me, but I have heard others that didn't have a problem with it at all. The Zanaflex, actually helped me a lot, but insurance wouldn't cover the medication so they switched me back to flexeril, which mind you does nothing for me at all, but my DR did give me a trial pack of "AMRIX"....I have not tried it yet, due to the fact of I feel tired now and I am afraid it will make me feel sleepy....Has anyone experience that medication yet?

The Norco, I have never been on, so I know nothing of that medication, but I was told it is in the Vicodin category....

One of my medications that I do take is "VICOPROFEN 7.5"..and that actually helps better than the actually vicodin, so that might be an option....The anti inflammatory helps w/ the muscles rather than the Tylenol that is in Vicodin.....

Old 07-01-2009, 06:32 AM   #9
(female)

kim46 HB User

I've taken Norco prior to moving into pain management and I found it to be a good pain reliever. I prefer it to Oxycodone as I find Oxycodone too sedating at times and/or it causes insomnia for me.

I also take Flexeril - my PM doctor will not prescribe Soma.
Feel better.
Tara

Old 10-03-2009, 08:12 PM   #10
(female)

iamtooyoung HB User

Hi there -- I take gabapetin 300mg 3 times a day for nerve pain. I'm still not sure if it helps my pain but I have had absolutely no side effects and take it throughout the day. I am also on the muscle relaxant flexiril and that has not helped me at all but also had no side effects. The hydrocodone I have been on for years and am so sad that the effect is wearing off. This drug helped me so much. Definitely took the edge of the pain and relaxed me so I could get some relief and sleep. The only bad part is I took so much it doesn't work on me like it used to. Good luck and I hope relief is in sight for you

Closed Thread