It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pain Management Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-01-2009, 08:58 AM   #1
(female)

Brosiah HB User
Exclamation Acetaminophen containing RX pain meds going off the market??????

I was watching a *national news program* last night. One that comes on after the local afternoon news. It was talking about the FDA having meetings recently about acetaminophen (Tylenol) being more dangerous than once thought by the medical community. I was shocked because it even said some experts on the FDA advisory panel were recommending that RX drugs mixed with acetaminophen (like hydrocodone APAP...vicodin, norco, etc) be taken off the market. It's not a done deal its only being discussed and voted on at this point...but that is I think astonishing news for those of us who take those medications daily. They are even decreasing the recommended daily allowance of acetaminophen. Also they have decreased the recommend single dose down to 650mg from 1000mg. All of this info can be found if you go to a search engine and search acetaminophen.
What kind of impact will this have on us who rely on these medications? What alternatives will we have if these new regulations actually go into effect? Instead of hydrocodone will something new be RX ed or will they just take out the Tylenol?

Last edited by moderator2; 07-02-2009 at 08:07 AM.

Old 07-01-2009, 09:37 AM   #2
(female)

kim46 HB User
Re: Acetaminophen containing RX pain meds going off the market??????

Hi

I've been looking at more info and comments posted today and I agree with others that an all out knee-jerk ban would have major ramifications across the spectrum, not just Chronic Pain Patients - eg what will be used for post-op surgery pain, etc.

I have a feeling that the FDA will not ban Percocet and Vicodin but I do think tighter controls will be forthcoming.

Sigh! As someone said "one bad apple" - I find it incredible that anyone would take 30 pain pills a day...............which is the concern about escalating liver overdoses.
Tara

Last edited by moderator2; 07-02-2009 at 08:06 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-01-2009, 01:05 PM   #3
(female)

Brosiah HB User

Maybe instead of eliminating the meds all together they will just reformulate with less tylenol?? I also read somewhere that they put so much tylenol in them so that people won't abuse them....but there will ALWAYS be people who do. I guess they dont mind poisoning people to teach them a lesson! But I think it probably has something more to do with covering their butts. These drug companies will do anything to make it buck and thats the truth. Think back a few years to skelaxin or whatever it was called.

Last edited by moderator2; 07-02-2009 at 08:06 AM.

Old 07-02-2009, 01:29 AM   #4
(female)

kim46 HB User

Thanks Brosiah - you do make sense if it is true. I find it amazing and I'm just in from work looking for more information since the evening news. It is strange how Percocet and Vicodin "could" be banned yet tylenol will still be on the shelves. ETA, you make a good point about poisoning people to teach them a lesson.

It's all backwards, it seems to me that tylenol should be banned, no?
Thanks for your support.

What will the pharmacy industry do - that is the question.
Tara

Last edited by moderator2; 07-02-2009 at 08:07 AM.

Old 07-03-2009, 07:53 AM   #5
(female)

Brosiah HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarajb View Post

It's all backwards, it seems to me that tylenol should be banned, no?
Thanks for your support.

What will the pharmacy industry do - that is the question.
Tara

It seems ridculous to keep selling tylenol OTC in mega-huge bottles and then turn around and ban RX drugs given under supervision of a doctor.

Old 07-06-2009, 08:39 AM   #6
(male)

dmarcus48 HB User

Personally I've never liked taking percocet or any meds with tylenol in them. My percocet dose is 10/325, I always try to get the lowest dose. Plus I would prefer to just have the codeine and no tylenol in it. That way I could take a dose of tylenol for my pain, and if that wasn't enough take the codeine. The way it is now you HAVE to take both. Does oxycotin have tylenol in it?

Last edited by dmarcus48; 07-06-2009 at 08:40 AM.

Old 07-06-2009, 09:33 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

feelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB User

just an FYI here for ya marcus, they DO make a form of codeine only med. its called either codiene sulfate or phosphate. all it is is strictly codiene. it is a very tiny little white pill. we had to use this for my son before his liver transplant just to keep all tylenol out.

and no, oxycontin does NOT contain any tylenol. it is only oxycodone in a time release matrix.

for anyone who wants to understand the impacts of tylenol on the liver AND the kidneys too(no one ever talks about that), there are actually many threads on this on this pain forum that have been posted from time to time. just doing a search on THIS pain site using "liver failure tylenol "should at least pop up a few. i do know they are here. it should be interestring to see how this all plays out. very sick. Marcia

Old 07-06-2009, 01:25 PM   #8
(male)

dmarcus48 HB User

feelbad,
Yes I know that there are meds that are straight codeine with no tylenol. I actually had asked my doctor for it and was told that it would be harder to get filled. I explained that that way I could try just tylenol and if that didn't work take the codeine. I don't know maybe he thought the potential for abuse was greater?
When I had my first operations in NYC they gave it to me incase the percocet wasn't enough.
I knew that the codeine in oxycotin was the same, but didn't know about the absence of tylenol so thanks for that.

Old 07-06-2009, 03:01 PM   #9
Senior Veteran
(male)

brianpain33 HB Userbrianpain33 HB User

dmarcus:
It is not codeine that is in Oxycontin;

Oxycontin = oxycodone (NO ACETAMINOPHEN)

Is is made with oxycodone which is different than codeine. It is less sedating than codeine.

brian

p.s. If you want to find meds that don't have any acetaminophen then there are the morphine products such as MS Contin, Kadian, Avinza, and also the fentanyl patch.

Last edited by brianpain33; 07-06-2009 at 03:02 PM.

Old 07-06-2009, 08:37 PM   #10
(male)

dave490 HB Userdave490 HB Userdave490 HB Userdave490 HB Userdave490 HB Userdave490 HB Userdave490 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by brianpain33 View Post
dmarcus:
It is not codeine that is in Oxycontin;

Oxycontin = oxycodone (NO ACETAMINOPHEN)

Is is made with oxycodone which is different than codeine. It is less sedating than codeine.

brian

p.s. If you want to find meds that don't have any acetaminophen then there are the morphine products such as MS Contin, Kadian, Avinza, and also the fentanyl patch.
You're right about oxycodone - it's not the same as codeine. Codeine is actually a synthetic narcotic. Oxycodone and hydrocodone (hydrocodone is the narcotic in Vicodin, Lortabs, etc) are nearly the same drug except in the way they are metabolized. A lot of people get codeine and oxycodone confused.

Old 07-06-2009, 08:39 PM   #11
(male)

dave490 HB Userdave490 HB Userdave490 HB Userdave490 HB Userdave490 HB Userdave490 HB Userdave490 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmarcus48 View Post
feelbad,
Yes I know that there are meds that are straight codeine with no tylenol. I actually had asked my doctor for it and was told that it would be harder to get filled. I explained that that way I could try just tylenol and if that didn't work take the codeine. I don't know maybe he thought the potential for abuse was greater?
When I had my first operations in NYC they gave it to me incase the percocet wasn't enough.
I knew that the codeine in oxycotin was the same, but didn't know about the absence of tylenol so thanks for that.
The only real problem with getting straight codeine (phosphate or sulfate) filled is that codeine with no Tylenol is a schedule II, instead of the T3 and T4's which are schedule III. Many pharmacies don't stock the straight codeine, for whatever reason.

Old 07-06-2009, 08:49 PM   #12
(male)

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarajb View Post
Hi

I've been looking at more info and comments posted today and I agree with others that an all out knee-jerk ban would have major ramifications across the spectrum, not just Chronic Pain Patients - eg what will be used for post-op surgery pain, etc.

I have a feeling that the FDA will not ban Percocet and Vicodin but I do think tighter controls will be forthcoming.

Sigh! As someone said "one bad apple" - I find it incredible that anyone would take 30 pain pills a day...............which is the concern about escalating liver overdoses.
Tara
Excellent points. I don't think there will be an outright ban either, for a couple of reasons. The drug manufacturers have pretty powerful lobbyists on their side, which can be a good thing or a bad thing, depending on the issue. My guess is that we'll see the higher-dose Tylenol and generics go Rx, much like Motrin 800mg and the generics went. The FDA tends to not over react. Case-in-point - the controversy over fentanyl patches (which I use.) Since they haven't been banned yet, and I don't think they ever will be, it would be pretty difficult to justify banning the lower-class pain killers.

Old 07-06-2009, 08:57 PM   #13
(male)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brosiah View Post
I was watching a *national news program* last night. One that comes on after the local afternoon news. It was talking about the FDA having meetings recently about acetaminophen (Tylenol) being more dangerous than once thought by the medical community. I was shocked because it even said some experts on the FDA advisory panel were recommending that RX drugs mixed with acetaminophen (like hydrocodone APAP...vicodin, norco, etc) be taken off the market. It's not a done deal its only being discussed and voted on at this point...but that is I think astonishing news for those of us who take those medications daily. They are even decreasing the recommended daily allowance of acetaminophen. Also they have decreased the recommend single dose down to 650mg from 1000mg. All of this info can be found if you go to a search engine and search acetaminophen.
What kind of impact will this have on us who rely on these medications? What alternatives will we have if these new regulations actually go into effect? Instead of hydrocodone will something new be RX ed or will they just take out the Tylenol?
Try to keep in mind that the media jumps on these kinds of issues and tends to overstate and distort facts. While it's true that the recommendation was made, it takes a long process for the FDA to approve and also to ban medications. There are many different "spins" on this issue, depending on which news source you watch. I think in the end, we'll see tighter controls on acetaminophen, but outright banning of pain meds probably won't happen. Reformulation is more likely. I think we'll all be okay.

Closed Thread