It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pain Management Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-02-2009, 02:28 AM   #1
(male)

NUTES008 HB User
Question most potent imediate release narcotic pain medication for break through pain spells

please somebody help. i am on a daily dose of methadone 10mg tablets at 2 tablets 3 times per day, but i have these pain spells that can last anywhere from 30 minutes to 5 hours where the pain is so freaking bad that if i had the guts i would kill myself to end the excruciating pain. my dr has tried all kinds of meds for breakthrough pain for me. he is a good guy. the methadone works great on just the daily pain that i endure every day but at the times when i get these terribly excruciating pain spells nothing has seemed to work. i have tried the oxycodone 30mg ir tablets, ive tried morphine ir tablets, and he now has given me hydromorphone 8mg tablets but i dont believe they are ir tablets atleast it doesnt say so on the bottle just says hydromorphone 8mg tablets. ive heard about some kind of actiq lollipops or lozengers but i dont know if thry work. ive heard about oxymorphone "opana tablets ir" i need someone to tell me something that i can take as soon as these vicious pain spells start and what ever i take works as fast as possible. please help this is no joke and i will be forever greatful to you for your help and information and caring. i will try anything i just dont know how much longer i can tolerate these terribly bad breakthrough pain spells. again, please please please help.
thank you.
severely in pain and frustrated beyond belief,
jay
please email me at: * email address and/or contact information removed by hb-mod, moderator *

Last edited by hb-mod; 07-02-2009 at 04:03 AM. Reason: Please don't post contact info, such as email address, per Posting Policy.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-03-2009, 07:55 PM   #2
Veteran
(female)

eyesworld HB Usereyesworld HB Usereyesworld HB Usereyesworld HB Usereyesworld HB Usereyesworld HB Usereyesworld HB User
Re: most potent imediate release narcotic pain medication for break through pain spel

I've had occasion to have what I call 10+ pain, with kidney stones, and the only thing that worked for me was IV Morphine given in the ER. I am a CP patient and take oxycodone daily and this pain was untouched except with the IV and they were giving it to me at the peak of the pain about every 15 minutes.
I hope you can find a solution.

Old 07-08-2009, 06:23 PM   #3
(male)

dave490 HB Userdave490 HB Userdave490 HB Userdave490 HB Userdave490 HB Userdave490 HB Userdave490 HB User
Re: most potent imediate release narcotic pain medication for break through pain spel

Atiq lollipops are fentanyl pops that you can use to get close to immediate relief. Fentanyl is the same drug as is found in the Duragesic patches and their generics. If the bottle of hydromophone tabs aren't labeled IR, then they are not immediate release. You should talk to your doctor about this. I wear the fentanyl patch which handles about 90 percent of my pain, but once in a while I have break through pain and IV morphine takes care of it. Best of luck.

Last edited by hb-mod; 07-09-2009 at 02:37 AM. Reason: Removed unnecessary Quote.

Closed Thread