It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pain Management Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-02-2009, 08:25 AM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

tiggertoo2174 HB Usertiggertoo2174 HB Usertiggertoo2174 HB Usertiggertoo2174 HB User
Vicodin and Percocet HAVE NOT BEEN BANNED

As of this time, both Vicodin and Percocet

HAVE NOT BEEN BANNED BY THE FDA.

Two days ago a 5 member advisory panel voted 3-2 to recommend banning both drugs. The FDA ruling DID NOT BAN EITHER DRUG.

I just returned from the pharmacy and was able to fill my percocet prescription without any problems. The pharmcist told me that both medications ARE available.

This does not mean that the FDA will not remove the drugs from the market in the future, or require their reformulation with either lesser doses of tylenol, or without tylenol.

<deleted: inappropriate>
Tigg.

Last edited by Administrator; 07-02-2009 at 07:45 PM. Reason: do not post political comments.

Old 07-02-2009, 09:47 AM   #2
(female)

Weezi HB User
Re: Vicodin and Percocet HAVE NOT BEEN BANNED

Thanks for your post Tigg! I received a phone call from a friend telling me that they had banned both Percocet and Hydrocodone. I was looking for some information about this. Thanks again, I will spread the news;0)
weezi

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-02-2009, 10:24 AM   #3
(male)

lemonflavor HB User

If they did get a ban on it, it wouldn't happen in two days. It would take the government a lot longer than that to enact something.

The drug companies will put up a fight (they aren't all bad) and will hopefully help to make these available. There are too many people in too much pain and the backlash would be significant.

Old 07-02-2009, 08:11 PM   #4
Inactive
(male)

Executor HB UserExecutor HB UserExecutor HB UserExecutor HB UserExecutor HB UserExecutor HB User

I think the advisory committee vote was 20-17...Very close.

The Food and Drug Administration, to assist in its mission to protect and promote the public health, uses 48 committees and panels to obtain independent expert advice on scientific, technical, and policy matters. They are not bound by the advisory committee and may or may not follow their recommendations.

I'm sure we'll hear a lot more on this issue.

Regards,

Ex

Old 07-07-2009, 08:42 PM   #5
Veteran
(female)

Frosty6 HB User

Executor is correct, it was 20-17 by the FDA and they are recommending it be removed, they do not have the authority to remove it. They also recommended other OTC meds as well but that was changed. If this does pass, there will be changes for many of us and it is so difficult as it is to find the right thing or combination to help us through each day.

Good luck to all,
Frosty

Old 07-08-2009, 10:25 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

Toonces1 HB UserToonces1 HB UserToonces1 HB UserToonces1 HB UserToonces1 HB User

I'm glad people are clearing this up. My step-mother called me last week and told me that her doctor told her that starting in September, people will not longer be able to get Vicodin, Percocet, or Morphine for pain. She claims he told her that only anti-depressants will be prescribed for pain. I told her that that may be her doctor's rules, but it will not be law. She said it was because too many people were getting addicted. I think she got her information way screwed up.

Old 07-08-2009, 08:34 PM   #7
Inactive
(male)

Executor HB UserExecutor HB UserExecutor HB UserExecutor HB UserExecutor HB UserExecutor HB User

Here's a perfect example of the FDA Committee vs the FDA board.......

Today, the FDA board announced stricter warning labels for Darvocet and other related meds with the same active ingredient. Back in March, a FDA committee had recommended banning the med. However, the FDA board did not adopt the committee's recommendation, and instead, adopted tougher, more visible warnings.

I think it would be beneficial if things weren't announced until there was some finding of action. The committee's recommendations are often misunderstood by many, including the press.

Regards,

Ex

Old 07-09-2009, 04:48 AM   #8
Veteran
(female)

dolejaly HB User

I was reading yesterday morning a news article and the way it was worded that vicodin and percocets are not banned, but as of right now they are not, but they are looking into trying to ban them. The issues w/ overdose and liver problems is their main reasoning.....But, what I don't understand that there are many medications out there that can be misused right down to daily vitamins and the liver can have many problems w/ long term use of any medication......Why all of the sudden the uproar on these medications?

Now what about "vicoprofen"? that has no "Tylenol" but does have Motrin....Will that be considered as well?

So now I am confused, will the medications be banned or just more warnings w/ taking the medication?

Old 07-09-2009, 05:54 AM   #9
Inactive
(male)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dolejaly View Post
So now I am confused, will the medications be banned or just more warnings w/ taking the medication?
As of right now, nothing has changed. The meds are still available and perfectly legal to use.

At some point, the FDA board will meet and either uphold or reject the committee's recommendation to ban the meds. Judging by their last decision (on Darvocet), it looks like more warnings are in order.

Hope this clears things up.

Regards,

Ex

Old 07-09-2009, 11:53 AM   #10
Senior Veteran
(male)

brianpain33 HB Userbrianpain33 HB User

I think that it comes down to drug addicts that are abusing the medications. Of coure if you are abusing and using the medication to get "high" then you are going to be destroying your liver because of the high intake of acetaminophen. The FDA should not punish chronic pain patients because of the drug addicts that abuse and die from overdoses of Vicodin and Percocet. It makes NO SENSE.

brian

Closed Thread