It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pain Management Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-05-2009, 08:35 AM   #16
Senior Veteran
(female)

feelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB User
Re: Surgeon not authorized to RX pain meds?? How is this possible?

at least speaking to the actual surgeon himself would give you the 'real' answers here. and since he did actually take on your rxing you do owe him at least that much, that IS a rare thing for any surgeon to just do before any surgery. believe me when i say that some surrgeons nurses, NPs PAs, depending upon just how really 'important' they think they are, do NOT always like to tell patients the truth about alot of different things. and some REALLY can overstep many boundries in the process too. i went thru this with my c spine surgeries and my NSs 'gatekeeper' NP. she was telling me things that were totally contradictory to things i would find out later when i actually had appts with my actual surgeon. he was actually taken aback at times in what i was telling him his 'nurse" told me to do or not to do during my recovery at times.

some just have wayyy too much power for their own good. this nightmare gatekeeper actually would NOT allow me to make an appt with my own NS when i really needed to be evaled after my second surgery. she told me i would just be "wasting' his valuable time. could NOT believe that one. my primary had to step in in order for me to finally even get that badly needed appt. this is just how much power 'some' surgeons trusty sidekicks can actually have or even just tell you things that go against what the actual surgeon would do or say in that same type of situation. so seeing that surgeon REALLY should be done before making any other plans here. god only knows what that nurse is like ya know? but you DO also need to consider her as far as this may be the person you end up dealing with over the phone post op too. that DOES matter alot, trust me there. its just something you also need to think about when deciding to seek out another or stay with this one and also have to deal with her during your recovery period too.

but just look at the whole bigger picture here before commiting to anything with this current surgeon. everything does matter as far as the surgeon and that staff of his you will also be dealing with on a much more regular basis than the actual surgeon. you just need to know pre op that you have all the best people in place for your post op follow up care too. and like ex already mentioned here, you are doing the best possible things for yourself right now to best ensure that your post op care will be managed appropriately. most people just do not even think about this part of the picture til they are there and sometimes suffering for it.

but DO see that surgeon with a list of questions too. this really helps in remebering all the important stuff you think of. i wrote everything down as soon as it would pop into my head. just kept a notebook out on my kitchen counter that i would just go to and write the questions down immediately. if i waited to do it i would lose that really good question. the notebook thing just worked really well for me. so write the stuff down and make certain that when you bring it with you that you are also writing down all the answers too. or have someone with you who can do that or you. that really helps alot too. you just really need to find out what IS real and not real and i would most certainly tell that surgeon just exactly what you were told by that nurse of his too. it wouldn't hurt either to really find out just how truely involved she is going to be in your post op care, just so you actually know who you will be dealing with over the phone with any issues that just pop up along the way post op. i do wish you luck here with this and hope she is not going to be the main gatekeeper for this surgeon. but always remember, you DO have options if this is not going to be good for you in all the right ways. this guy is not the only surgeon out there ya know? Marcia

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-05-2009, 09:12 PM   #17
Facilitator
(female)

SpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB User

I would understand if he was saying that he wanted to limit strong medications to a specific time period after surgery (he wouldn't want to be prescribing them to you long term) - and that he would then tell you to follow up with a pain management doctor later. What he's saying now makes NO sense.

After both of my cervical surgeries (anterior (ACDF) and posterior foraminotomy) my surgeon was able to prescribe things like oxycontin. He did tell me that he didn't like to prescribe that long term and when my pain persisted he recommended I follow up with my pain doctor and that worked well!

Old 07-06-2009, 07:19 AM   #18
(female)

Brosiah HB User

This is all so very stressfull. I hate to have to go to another surgeon because it took so long to get in to this one and to get the surgery date and going back and forth on the sheduling. I just want it to be over with so I can get on with my life. I am tired of being in pain. I want off the meds. I want to be a normal mom to my little girl. We have a move coming up and I want to be able to enojoy the new house. All of this crap with the doctor/nurse...I just want it resolved!! Sorry I guess I am venting here. I have a call into the doctor. Hopefully this can all work out. I'll update when I know.

Old 07-06-2009, 08:55 PM   #19
Inactive
(male)

Executor HB UserExecutor HB UserExecutor HB UserExecutor HB UserExecutor HB UserExecutor HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brosiah View Post

All of this crap with the doctor/nurse...I just want it resolved!! Sorry I guess I am venting here. I have a call into the doctor. Hopefully this can all work out. I'll update when I know.
You're absolutely doing the right thing by handling it in advance. Too much goes on afterwards to handle it then.

Best of luck to you.

Regards,

Ex

Closed Thread