It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pain Management Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-13-2009, 06:15 AM   #1
Veteran
(female)

dolejaly HB User
So did vicodin get taken off the market?

I was told recently that vicodin will no longer be available on the market as of last week, does anyone know if that passed through the FDA and is now being pulled? I take vicoprofen, would that be under the same category beings it has Motrin in it instead of Tylenol?

I keep reading articles that contradict themselves as one may say it is being pulled where as another will say more warning labels on the bottles....I'm confused....

Old 07-13-2009, 12:27 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

brianpain33 HB Userbrianpain33 HB User
Re: So did vicodin get taken off the market?

VICODIN IS NOT BEING BANNED OR TAKEN OFF THE MARKET. One of the FDA advisory boards voted to have Vicodin & Percocet taken off the market due to acetaminophen overdoses (I have other thoughts though). Anyway, the FDA normally listens to the advisory board and votes with their recommendation in mind. However, they did not follow the boards advice so Vicodin & Percocet are still safe although there will probably be new formulations in the future that have less acetaminophen in them since some of the higher strengths have as much as 650mg per pill.

brian

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-13-2009, 07:48 PM   #3
Inactive
(male)

Executor HB UserExecutor HB UserExecutor HB UserExecutor HB UserExecutor HB UserExecutor HB User

You just asked this question in a very recent thread....

http://www.healthboards.com/boards/showthread.php?t=701706

Nothing has changed. Once the FDA board officially votes, there will be an announcement. Given that the FDA board didn't uphold the committee's recommendation on Darvocet, I think the handwriting is on the wall.

Regards,

Ex

Old 07-13-2009, 08:56 PM   #4
Veteran
(female)

wiredqs HB User

As a personal note, DH went to the ER Sat. nite and left with an Rx for Vicodin. They did warn about acetominiphen od tho.

Old 07-14-2009, 06:02 AM   #5
Veteran
(female)

dolejaly HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Executor View Post
You just asked this question in a very recent thread....

http://www.healthboards.com/boards/showthread.php?t=701706

Nothing has changed. Once the FDA board officially votes, there will be an announcement. Given that the FDA board didn't uphold the committee's recommendation on Darvocet, I think the handwriting is on the wall.

Regards,

Ex

The reason I asked is because my daughter in law's father swore up and down that it passed and it was now pulled and I knew it was being debated, but I didn't know the outcome 100%.....Actually I responded to another post w/ a news article I read about it being in debate, I just didn't know the outcome.....So I posted this one to find out the actually outcome of it instead of hear say... I didn't think they would pull it off the market, beings many medicines are being abused and many cause liver damage as well......Thank you for your response....

Closed Thread