It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pain Management Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-14-2009, 10:00 AM   #1
(female)

evolving HB User
percocet vs. methadone for pain relief

percocet vs. methadone for pain relief

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-14-2009, 12:34 PM   #2
(female)

MICHELLE30 HB User
Re: percocet vs. methadone for pain relief

percs last a little while-couple hours- methadone last longer- there is codeine in percs and not in domes...

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-14-2009, 01:13 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

AnnD HB UserAnnD HB User

I see methadone as the last resort drug. There are so many other more appropriate pain meds on the market before you get to methadone which use to be only for those trying to kick the serious drug habits of the 1970's-80's. Percocet is such a minor drug in the pain relief game so to jump right to methadone I would seriously question the motivation to do that.

Old 07-14-2009, 03:59 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(male)

brianpain33 HB Userbrianpain33 HB User

Methadone is generally not the first line of defense in treating pain. It is much more effective at treating nerve pain due to the NMDA effect in the brain. Opiates like Percocet tend to not work very well for strictly nerve pain unless the dose is quite high. So it does depend on what kind of pain we are talking about

brian

Old 07-14-2009, 05:33 PM   #5
(female)

evolving HB User

i actually found mysel going from room to room in my house today just asking myself things out loud "do i need to try meth instead of perc?",
should i try the savella now..........i just get so durn tired of feeling slow and drunk",{from the lyrica} when will i get relief from all this crap"? tried to get n appt. w/ one of my drs. this week instead of next.....just feel so desperate.......finlly took a xanex and took my dogs for a walk.....then napped on the sofa. i look forward to night time so i can just go to sleep. my cymbalta 120mgs. seems to help w/ the depression most days but today has been a very rough one and strange one too.thanks to yall who replied. i wouldnt wish this condition even on the devil.

Old 07-14-2009, 05:44 PM   #6
(female)

evolving HB User

i actually found mysel going from room to room in my house today just asking myself things out loud "do i need to try meth instead of perc?",
should i try the savella now..........i just get so durn tired of feeling slow and drunk",{from the lyrica} when will i get relief from all this crap"? tried to get n appt. w/ one of my drs. this week instead of next.....just feel so desperate.......finlly took a xanex and took my dogs for a walk.....then napped on the sofa. i look forward to night time so i can just go to sleep. my cymbalta 120mgs. seems to help w/ the depression most days but today has been a very rough one and strange one too.thanks to yall who replied. i wouldnt wish this condition even on the devil.

Old 07-14-2009, 05:58 PM   #7
(male)

CynicalPain HB User

Just a little advice from a newer poster here, you need to give some background info on your condition if you expect good answers. A one line question about pain meds, although common here, often goes unanswered or under-answered. There are some great people here willing to share a wealth of experience, but you've got to give them something to go on. Good luck!

Old 07-14-2009, 07:22 PM   #8
(female)

evolving HB User

cyn,thought i was going to a linked web site, thats why no more info!!!duuuuhhhhhh.....as far as meds....for fibro only.......{take a lot of other ones}
cymbalta 60 mg. x2 lyrica 150mg. x2 ritalin 20mg. x2 vit d........1 ev.2 wks.[ and as needed.... xanax 1mg. up to 3 x, percocet 5/325mg. up to 4 tabs a day}i think thats all of them taken daily...but i still could forgotten one!! sorry about my error earlier.today has not been good.

Old 07-14-2009, 08:41 PM   #9
Inactive
(male)

Executor HB UserExecutor HB UserExecutor HB UserExecutor HB UserExecutor HB UserExecutor HB User

Welcome to Healthboards. Many here have a lot of diverse experiences and thus, can offer lots of support and guidance.

Your question is a tough one and can really only be answered by a Doc who you trust with your care. IMHO, Percocet is one of the first meds in the fight against pain, while Methadone is one of the last. And, there are a lot of meds in between. Thus, comparing the two, or asking which is best, is almost impossible. Both are great meds, but are used for vastly different types of pain.

Best of luck to you.

Regards,

Ex

Last edited by Executor; 07-14-2009 at 09:16 PM.

Old 07-17-2009, 07:55 PM   #10
(female)

patti678 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by evolving View Post
Hi:
It is the Lyrica and cymbalta that are making you feel slow and drunk. For some people the symptoms will go away or lessen with time. In my case neither happened. It got so bad that I would forget things and sleep all the time especially on the lyrica. Now for some people they are highly effective drugs. They tend to help with pain also. I COULD NOT ADJUST TO EITHER MEDICATION AND HAD TO STOP THEM. As far as the difference between percocet and methadone. More information is needed. But I will say this. If you are going to be on any pain med long term then you are better off with the methadone. It is less addictive and does not have the bad side effects of percocet. People tend to get addicted to percocet fairly easily and also it tends to cause anger and violence in some people. Methadone does not have anger related side effects and it also used to help heroin addicts to kick their habit. Since you have not said much about what your pain is or if it is long term I would not care to advise you to be on either one. My best advice is to find a good PM doctor and discuss your concerns about your meds with them. Be careful and take care.
CHRONIC PAIN IN JACKSONVILLE,
Patti

Closed Thread