It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pain Management Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-15-2009, 05:45 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

twisten HB User
fentanyl patch

Hi everyone. Just today I was put on the 25mg Ran-Fentanyl patch. My doctor thinks I'm having a crohns related sacroilitis flare up. My question is how long until I feel its helping? The pain gets excruciating especially when I'm sitting. It feels like I'm sitting on top of some knives.

Old 07-16-2009, 12:06 AM   #2
(female)

Weezi HB User
Re: fentanyl patch

Twisten,
I am so sorry your in so much pain. Did your doctor prescrible any break through medication for you to take while you waiting for the patch to get into your system? There is a wealth of information on here about the fentanyl patch. Of course, everyone is different, but if memory serves, it usually takes about 6 to 18 hours. It levels off somewhere between 12 to 24 hours after it's been applied. Check out the "Full Prescribing Information" in the box containing your patches. It has more detailed information. Hopefully, you will notice some relief soon;0)
weezi

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-16-2009, 04:55 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

twisten HB User

Hi Weezi. No she didn't say anything about bt meds but I was on 4mg of short acting dilaudid before this and still have some. She is aware that I have them. I have a good relationship with her and am not too concerned she wouldn't want me to use them but then again it would be my luck she didn't want me to!! Sigh...guess I better call and ask her. I'm on my 3rd night of no sleep at all. I can feel the pain has eased some but I was hoping to notice it more by now. I've been on and off pain meds for 7-8 years now and so I think the dose might be a little low. But I haven't been on any long acting narcotics for over 2 years so I guess that is maybe why she started the dose so low.

Old 07-16-2009, 08:18 AM   #4
Inactive
(male)

Executor HB UserExecutor HB UserExecutor HB UserExecutor HB UserExecutor HB UserExecutor HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by twisten View Post
I've been on and off pain meds for 7-8 years now and so I think the dose might be a little low. But I haven't been on any long acting narcotics for over 2 years so I guess that is maybe why she started the dose so low.
The patch is fentanyl, which is the strongest pain med on the market. Protocol calls for Docs to start low because the med is so potent. Additionally, it takes about a week for the med to build up in your system. You should notice some improvement right away, but it takes a bit for it to reach it's maximum effect.

However, Weezi is correct in that quite often, BT meds are given to supplement a LA med. The BT meds treat the "spikes" or flare ups. If you're in a lot of pain, I'd either call, or go back and see your Doc asap. Quite often, Docs won't give out BT meds unless one really needs them.

Lastly, part of the pain you're feeling may be some of the transition from one med to another. But, that should subside very soon.

Hope you start to feel better.

Regards,

Ex

Old 07-16-2009, 04:22 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

twisten HB User

I do feel a bit better Ex, thank you. I'm having trouble with it adhesing though. I've got tape all around it but I'm not sure if it has enough of a seal to continue working now.

Old 07-16-2009, 09:00 PM   #6
Inactive
(male)

Executor HB UserExecutor HB UserExecutor HB UserExecutor HB UserExecutor HB UserExecutor HB User

Quote:
I'm having trouble with it adhesing though. I've got tape all around it but I'm not sure if it has enough of a seal to continue working now.
What brand are you using? Some stick better than others, that's why I'm asking. Duragesic, which is the brand, works best I think. Many have reported problems with Mylan.

Also, it's best to shower and clean the area very well before applying the patch. Holding it down with your palms very hard for about a minute helps.....The heat generated by your hand helps generate a good initial seal with the glue.

Lastly, apply to areas that have the least amt of sweat glands, like your upper outer arms and flanks (per the directions). If you're still having problems, I'd report things back to your Doc. You may not be a suitable candidate...Not everyone can use the patch for the reason you're experiencing....But keep trying.

Best of luck to you.

Regards,

Ex

Old 07-17-2009, 05:57 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

twisten HB User

The name on the box is Ranbaxy. I showered and cleaned the area really well before applying and put it on my upper outer arm. I was on the Duragesic ones years and years ago but I can't remember if I had problems with them adhesing as well. I also held my hand over it for quite awhile so it would stick better.

Last edited by twisten; 07-17-2009 at 05:59 AM. Reason: added something

Old 07-17-2009, 09:03 AM   #8
Inactive
(male)

Quote:
The name on the box is Ranbaxy.
I'm not familiar with that brand, but that doesn't necessarily mean anything. I just noticed that you are in Canada, so it's probably a generic specific to your location.

Best of luck moving forward.

Regards,

Ex

Old 07-20-2009, 12:00 PM   #9
Senior Veteran
(male)

brianpain33 HB Userbrianpain33 HB User

I would recommend that you read the thread near the top of the Pain Management board that talks about "Problems getting the fentanyl patch to stick". I have used a variety of methods over the entire time I have been wearing the fentanyl patch. Here are the things that I have tried, which worked the best, etc.

1. Medical tape - cheap, easy to apply. It does not stick that well and will start to come off and cause your patch to come off in the process. It did not work very well for me.

2. Nexcare Tegaderm patches - quite expensive although they work well. They are an adhesive cover that you put on over the fentanyl patch to cover it completely. I stopped using due to the cost.

3. Band-Aid brand X-tra tough waterproof - relatively cheap ($3-$4 for a box) and I would apply however many necessary to cover the fentanyl patch. It does not look very good but does a good job at sticking.

4. Smith & Nephew Optisite Flexifix - relatively cheap ($35/box that last 5-6 months). An adhesive cover similar to Tegaderm except this comes in a roll that you cut off however much you need and apply over the fentanyl patch. This is what I currently use and have used for over a year.

5. Johnson & Johnson Bioclusive cover - these are quite expensive(more than Tegaderms) but I have heard they work exceptionally well and are very sticky. I have not used them due to the cost.

brian

Last edited by brianpain33; 07-20-2009 at 12:01 PM.

Closed Thread