It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pain Management Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-29-2009, 10:35 AM   #1
(female)

jdsun HB User
Why does it take so long for oxycodone to kick in?

This week, my doctor switched me from hydrocodone to oxycodone. The biggest thing I have noticed is the oxy takes over an hour to take the edge off the pain. I used to feel the hydro's within 15 minutes.

Is this typical? I thought Oxy was suppose to be a stronger medication, yet I haven't really noticed much in terms of better pain coverage. And, it taking over an hour to kick in.

jdsun

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-29-2009, 11:49 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Toonces1 HB UserToonces1 HB UserToonces1 HB UserToonces1 HB UserToonces1 HB User
Re: Why does it take so long for oxycodone to kick in?

I noticed the same thing too when I switched. The good thing was though that the oxycodone lasted the full 4-5 hours whereas the hydrocodone only lasted about 1.5 for me. I just make sure that I take the oxy when I know the pain is starting knowing that I will have to wait about an hour before I am feeling any relief. It has gotten me into "pain trouble" a few times when the pain came on very fast and strong, but I learned how to live with it. You kind of trade off the speed of pain relief for the length of pain relief, in my opinion.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-29-2009, 11:51 AM   #3
Inactive
(male)

Executor HB UserExecutor HB UserExecutor HB UserExecutor HB UserExecutor HB UserExecutor HB User

Unless you're taking it differently...i.e. with food, or after a big meal, the absorption time should be about the same. The only other factor would be it's form, a liquid vs a pill. In fact, since it's stronger, it should hit harder.

The difference may be in that your receptors and pathways receive the two chemicals differently. For example, you may "feel" different from taking one chemical over the other. Conversely, the Oxy may be working, you just may not feel it as much. Hydro is well know for activating the excitement pathways and thus one may "feel" it quite differently.

Hope this helps and I hope you feel better.

Regards,

Ex

Last edited by Executor; 07-29-2009 at 11:55 AM.

Old 07-29-2009, 12:16 PM   #4
Veteran
(male)

Leo123 HB UserLeo123 HB User

Looks like a case of (just my guess) being in a slight withdrawl state from the Hydro as your receptors have been used to that from years of taking it and now that you are switching to Oxy your body just needs a little time to adjust to this change.

I think after a couple of months of just being on Oxy, you'll start to get faster relief. And probably if you try to switch back to hydro, you'll find that the Hydro won't work as well.

Like Ex said, some people just get affected differently from different meds, even though in "Theory" you should be getting faster and better pain releif as you are correct Oxycodone is quite a but stronger than Oxy. (people say at 1.5times stronger. I think more) When I first started Oxy many years ago, I remenber taking a 5mg oxy (Perc) and it just floored me, a vicodin never did anything near that for me. But some people are different, Ive heard what you are saying many times that people get better releif out of Hydro and of course I;ve heard the opposite as well.

maybe if you just started Oxy without every taking Hydro, you would be getting stronger relief from the Oxy. But how would you ever know anyways.

Its an interesting subject!!!With lots of debate.

You are taking Oxy IR (Roxy), not Oxycontin, right? what Hydro dose were you taking, and how much Oxy did the Dr. switch you too?

Last edited by Leo123; 07-29-2009 at 12:31 PM. Reason: Added Question for jdsun

Old 07-29-2009, 02:47 PM   #5
(female)

jdsun HB User

Thanks for your thoughts guys! You guys are the best at answering my million questions..ha!

Ex- I think you are right about the different pathway thing. I used to get an energy boost with the hydro. The downfall would be, I would "crash" about 2.5 hours later. The ups and downs (pain and emotional) got too much for me to handle. My doc put me on Avinza one month ago, but it made me very tired, so he took me off that and put me on the Oxy. I am not sure if the Avinza is still in my system (my last dose was 7am yesterday..Tuesday). But I am sooooooooooo wiped out. I feel NONE of the boost that the hydrocodone gave me. I feel so tired, I have no idea why anyone would ever take this medication for recreational purposes. The hydro, I can see because of the energy boost. I guess this just goes to show you how different drugs can affect everyone so differently.

So, now I am left with this.....how long should I give the Oxycodone a chance? I just met with my pain psychologist and he told me I need to start giving medications longer chances to work. But man...I am zonked out. Now I don't know if it was the Oxy and the Avinza together that was causing my tiredness. When I was on the Avinza alone, I was tired, but not like this. When I added the Oxy I felt 100x more tired. My next PM appointment is not until August 18th. I hope he can help me out here.

Is it true that if I stay on Oxy for the next couple months and realize it is making me too tired, the the hydrocodones will no longer work? As of right now, Hydrocodones are the only thing that takes the edge off my pain. Even the Oxy right now doesn't see to work as well and major drowsiness is just a big bummer.

Sorry this is all over the place. As you can see my brain feels like I am in a big fog.

Oh.....I was taking one or two (depending on the pain) 10/325 hydro's every 5 hours. I am now taking 15mg of Oxycodone (not percocet). This oxy has no tylenol in it. I think that is why he switched me. I have been on/off hydrocodone for 5 years, but only daily for the past year.

Thanks again!
jdsun

Last edited by jdsun; 07-29-2009 at 02:49 PM.

Old 07-29-2009, 03:16 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(male)

brianpain33 HB Userbrianpain33 HB User

That is a pretty good size increase from 10/500 Hydro to 15mg Oxycodone short acting. It might be that you need something (a stimulant type medication like Provigil). to help offset the tired feeling. I had this with Percocet and absolutely could not take it (I was taking off 1 or 2 days every week because I could not get up, could not stay awake at work, etc).

Have you had your thyroid, or other hormone tests done? you mghit want to ask the PM doctor about this and how the meds change out hormones. But I think that a stimulant type medication is needed. My doctor refused it for me because I am a recovering addict and those would most definitely set me off so I am stuck with caffeine on my own to counteract the effects.

brian

Old 07-29-2009, 03:19 PM   #7
Veteran
(male)

Leo123 HB UserLeo123 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdsun View Post
Thanks for your thoughts guys! You guys are the best at answering my million questions..ha!
Is it true that if I stay on Oxy for the next couple months and realize it is making me too tired, the the hydrocodones will no longer work? As of right now, Hydrocodones are the only thing that takes the edge off my pain. Even the Oxy right now doesn't see to work as well and major drowsiness is just a big bummer.
Jdsun, No that is not necessarily so, but what "might" happen is after being on Oxy for a couple months, if you go back to Hydro and get taken of the Oxy completely, the lack of Oxy all of sudden might take sometime for your body to adjust to before you feel the same kick you used to feel from the Hydro.
- And then again you might go back to Hydro and feel just as good (pain releif wise) as you did from it before, it hard to say. But i would think your body would again need some time to adjust back to Hydro after taking the Oxy's for a few months.

I'am also on Avinza and it makes super tired as well. I think Morphine has a way of zonking you out more than other opiates. taking Hydro alone or Oxy alone never did it to me as bad as when I started on MS contin and then Avinza. Actually just like you I once only took Hydro and got great pain releif from it, and then went to Oxy, because I was getting to much Tylenol at the Hydro dose I needed. But for most of my med transitions l have not had much luck. I tried to go from MS Contin to Oxycontin and the Pxy just seemed worthless to me, only now do I realize I think it's cause my body was so used to the Morphine that the lack off was probably putting me in a slight withdrawl as Morphine and Oxy affect different receptors and I could not get the full benefit on the Oxy because my body was fighting the slight withrawl from the morphine. And even though the Oxy will mask you from getting full blown withdrawls if you get used to certain brain receptors being hit and then al of sudden those receptors are being hit anymore, no matter how much Oxy I tried it just wasn't working and I don;t think it would till I got the morphine and its withdrawl effects fully out of my system.

I hopw I;m making sense, I;m writing really fast.

Jdsun, By the way I;m on the same scripts you are now taking. I take the Avinza plus Oxy 30mg for break through. Oh wait a minute you said your doc took you off the Avinza.

Hold On here: Maybe that has something to do with how you are feeling.

how long has it been since you;ve been off the Avinza?

Last edited by Leo123; 07-29-2009 at 03:28 PM.

Old 07-29-2009, 09:12 PM   #8
Inactive
(male)

Executor HB UserExecutor HB UserExecutor HB UserExecutor HB UserExecutor HB UserExecutor HB User

Ok...I'll try to help as best I can......

Quote:

Ex- I think you are right about the different pathway thing. I used to get an energy boost with the hydro. The downfall would be, I would "crash" about 2.5 hours later. The ups and downs (pain and emotional) got too much for me to handle.
The reason for the "crash" is because your BPL is declining rapidly. SA meds result in a "spike" of your BPL....A straight line up, and then a 45 degree angle downwards. Half life of Hydrodcodone is about 3-4 hours, so that's why you crashed. Does this make sense?

Quote:
My doc put me on Avinza one month ago, but it made me very tired, so he took me off that and put me on the Oxy. I am not sure if the Avinza is still in my system (my last dose was 7am yesterday..Tuesday).
He more than likely put you on Avinza because it's LA and was trying to get your BPL to a point where it was consistent throughout the day and thus, eliminate the "ups and downs" associated with SA meds.

Half life of Avinza is about 15 hours. It takes 4 half lives for a med to be eliminated from your body. So, yes, when you wrote your post, it was still in your body. Additionally, because it was a "new" drug in your system, it is more profound than otherwise. Thus, I'm not surprised in what you're describing. Hang it there...It will improve from here....And quickly.

Quote:
So, now I am left with this.....how long should I give the Oxycodone a chance? I just met with my pain psychologist and he told me I need to start giving medications longer chances to work.
Yes, I would agree with this sentiment. It can take a good week or more for your body to adjust....Even longer in some cases. Certainly, a few days much to little of time. I know you don't feel well, and thus are a bit impatient....We all are at times. But, you have to give the med time to work and have faith in what your Doc is trying to do. For example, at my pain clinic, unless there is something very serious going on, they have a rule about not making any med changes less than a week.

Quote:
This is a very good question. Technically speaking, Oxy is much more potent than Hydro, so yes, it may definitely increase your tolerance to where if you returned to the previous chemical, it may not work as well at the previous qty / dose. Depending on how long of a time period there is between the two meds, dose escalation may be prudent and should probably be discussed your Doc.

As a general rule, the longer you are on the new med, the higher your tolerance will go. A good part of the drowsiness is probably the Avniza. As Leo said, "it makes you super tired as well. I think Morphine has a way of zonking you out more than other opiates." I have this experience as well. However, I welcome this, especially at night when I need to sleep. I never did sleep well through the night when on OC. I sleep much better now, for the most part.....Nothing like pre CP, but much better than on other LA meds.

Hope this helps. Please let me know if I can help further.

Regards,

Ex

Old 02-07-2011, 01:09 AM   #9
(female)

speck91854 HB User

Quote:

Ex- I think you are right about the different pathway thing. I used to get an energy boost with the hydro. The downfall would be, I would "crash" about 2.5 hours later. The ups and downs (pain and emotional) got too much for me to handle. My doc put me on Avinza one month ago, but it made me very tired, so he took me off that and put me on the Oxy. I am not sure if the Avinza is still in my system (my last dose was 7am yesterday..Tuesday). But I am sooooooooooo wiped out. I feel NONE of the boost that the hydrocodone gave me. I feel so tired, I have no idea why anyone would ever take this medication for recreational purposes. The hydro, I can see because of the energy boost. I guess this just goes to show you how different drugs can affect everyone so differently.

So, now I am left with this.....how long should I give the Oxycodone a chance? I just met with my pain psychologist and he told me I need to start giving medications longer chances to work. But man...I am zonked out. Now I don't know if it was the Oxy and the Avinza together that was causing my tiredness. When I was on the Avinza alone, I was tired, but not like this. When I added the Oxy I felt 100x more tired. My next PM appointment is not until August 18th. I hope he can help me out here.

Sorry this is all over the place. As you can see my brain feels like I am in a big fog.

Oh.....I was taking one or two (depending on the pain) 10/325 hydro's every 5 hours. I am now taking 15mg of Oxycodone (not percocet). This oxy has no tylenol in it. I think that is why he switched me. I have been on/off hydrocodone for 5 years, but only daily for the past year.

Thanks again!
jdsun

Closed Thread