It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pain Management Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-30-2009, 01:22 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(male)

brianpain33 HB Userbrianpain33 HB User
Does an X-ray show arthritis?

I was wondering if I should ask for an x-ray on my wrists/hands to see if I might have arthritis. Would an x-ray show this or would I need an MRI?

brian

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-30-2009, 02:11 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

1sunny1 HB User1sunny1 HB User
Re: Does an X-ray show arthritis?

An X-ray should show if there is any bending of the bone, so it will show if there is arthritis.

Sunny

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-30-2009, 02:14 PM   #3
(female)

leeleelanilou HB User

I would think so. A few days ago I had an x-ray on my knee & it showed advanced osteoarthritis. I know x-ray's show bone spurs, breaks & narrowing joints. Hope you feel better soon.

Old 07-30-2009, 02:29 PM   #4
(female)

Weezi HB User

Yes, I had a full body bone scan that showed severe arthritis. My doctor has ordered x-rays of these areas to get a better look;0)
weezi

Old 07-31-2009, 08:32 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

feelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB User

i would have to agree with everyone. an X ray shows one thing VERY very clearly, bones, and any real changes within them. there are specific types of coloring changes and the way the bones curve and whats going on within those joints that really would show whether you do or do not have something like arthritis. with what you have going on with those hands/wrists right now brian, this would be a really good and cheap type of test just to have done at this point. it could be making the problems with CT much more profound too if you indeed do have it. marcia

Old 07-31-2009, 10:03 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

BrittleBones HB UserBrittleBones HB UserBrittleBones HB UserBrittleBones HB UserBrittleBones HB User

One caveat here: When I was first diagnosed with rheumatoid arthritis I was experiencing very severe, mirror-image pain in my feet, hands and fingers. The xray that was taken didn't really show ANY defects whatsoever. The rheumy told me that if she were to just look at the xray without any of the clinical findings, she would probably have given me a clean bill of health. The same caution when it comes to the antigen blood work/tests. My blood tests were negative for rheum. arthritis for the first 8 months. Then it showed up. Of course, I think this only applies to rheum arthritis and not osteo. So, sometimes the films can be quite unremarkable at the beginning of the disease process. Just my own personal experience. BBones

Old 07-31-2009, 11:21 AM   #7
Inactive
(male)

Executor HB UserExecutor HB UserExecutor HB UserExecutor HB UserExecutor HB UserExecutor HB User

A lot of time, an MRI is needed for more detail.

Ex

Closed Thread