It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pain Management Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-14-2009, 12:05 PM   #1
(female)

ufos8mycat HB User
Will ultram prevent or help Morphine Withdrawals?

Hello There! ( sorry this is a bit long,there is a bit of a back story)
First I must state that I am pregnant, 23 weeks to be exact. It was a surprise and we were told I couldn't get pregnant ( blocked tubes, severe endometriosis, scar tissue, intestinal issues) but here I am! I am VERY excited about having my little boy in December and I have 2 doctors offices working to get me off of morphine, my OB who wants me to do a slow taper and my PM helping me with the taper.

When I first found out I was pregnant my PM office basically freaked out. I WANT to get off this medicine before my little one is born and I will just handle the pain. My main concern is him being born addicted to opiates; I do not judge anyone who has had to go through a pregnancy on opiates but for me I don't want that. Anyways... I was only 8 weeks along and they wanted me to go from Kadian 80mg 3 times a day with 15 mg MSIR for break through 3 times a day. The PA who saw me was not very nice or understanding but it was the doctor who put me on that dosage ( my OB thinks they are afraid of being sued). I don't know much about pain medication but I knew it was going to be an adjustment which I was fine with BUT it sent me into severe withdrawals to which my OB was very upset about. He called my PM office to tell them that at 8 weeks I could miscarry and not to even attempt to fully withdrawal me till 28-32 weeks. He also asked that I not see the PA again since she was very rude when I told her I was pregnant; knowing the dose I was on she asked if I had stopped taking all my medication. She basically gave me the evil eye when I told her I couldn't just stop ( she should know that anyways).

Last week I had to get an earlier appointment then normal (my MIL took 9 pills out of my purse, nice) so I was short. My PM office is SLAMMED b/c one of their PA's left and now they have the other employees covering his shift. I was very lucky I got that appointment. I have been on a slow taper with a very nice Dr and I was down to 3 MSIR's a day which I was pretty happy about. When I went into my appointment I noticed the horrible PA was going to see me. She was kinda pleasant till I told her we were doing a slow taper and she said " I want you off all the medication NOW" and she really didn't want to hear it when I told her I shouldn't be taken off everything since the taper wasn't complete (we were going to do 2 MSIR a day for 1 month and then taper me off with Tylenol 4). So she wrote a script for 2 MSIR for 1 week, 1 MSIR broken in half for 2 weeks and then 1/2 every other day for 1 week and then stop. Ok so I am game for doing this taper as long as the withdrawals aren't bad and could put my little one in danger. Well I am now taking the 1/2 every other day and it's been horrible. I called the office and left a message on Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday and Yesterday, they called me today to give me a script for Ultram.

I have an appointment on the 26th with an actual DR not the PA. I wanted to know if the ultram was going to actually help me get off of the MSIR or if it was just another medication I will have a horrible time coming off of. I know that anything I take will have horrible withdrawals but I am hoping upon hoping that if we do this right they will be minimal.

Thank you so much for reading this. I have been very scared for my baby and my main concern is for him. I will do what I have to do so he isn't in the NICU for 2 weeks being tapered. If I can help that then I will, so far my pain has been tolerable.

Thank you
Angie

Scoliosis, Fibromyalgia, Endometriosis and a botched rectal resection.

Last edited by ufos8mycat; 08-14-2009 at 12:07 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-14-2009, 12:34 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

brianpain33 HB Userbrianpain33 HB User
Re: Will ultram prevent or help Morphine Withdrawals?

PLEASE DON"T START ON THE ULTRAM. This medication is just absolutely horrible to get off of and I would hate to see you trying to taper and withdrawal off this Ultram (tramadol). It took me 3 months to taper and get of the Ultram and I ended up having to take an anti-depressant in order to finally get off for good.

Ultram is essentially a mild opiod with anti-depressant qualities(effecting serotonin & norepinepherine) just like some of the anti-depressants do such as Cymbalta and Effexor. In essence Ultram = Opiod pain med + anti-depressant combined. This is why it is so difficult to get off of because you go through double withdrawal. If you have ever gone through withdrawal from an anti-depressant then you know what I am talking about. PLEASE, PLEASE do not take this as your baby will go through the withdrawal as well.

Edited:<I would want to stay with> Vicodin to finish out the taper and either staying on the Vicodin or slowly taperine down. Have you asked your OB about what to do now? I think you should slow the taper down and get on Tylenol 4's or 3's or even Vicodin to finish out the taper. There are many women who have been on these boards that have actually continued to take Vicodin (which is one of the safer pain meds) throughout their pregnancy. This is how I feel about it. I just know how horrible the withdrawal from Ultram can be and DON'T LET ANY DOCTOR TELL YOU THAT ULTRAM IS NOT ADDICTIVE. It definitely can be and if you want proof go over to the Addiction board here on healthboards and search for "Ultram" or "tramadol". Good luck and let us know what happens. it sounds like that PA is just down right mean and cruel.

brian

p.s. To answer your question about it helping morphine WD's. I can tell you that I used to take Oxycontin/Percocet and was taken off of those and given Ultram for the pain and if it helped with the withdrawal then I did not realize it. It is such a mild opiod that it would barely help with the withdrawal at all.

Last edited by Administrator; 08-14-2009 at 04:40 PM. Reason: Changed wording

Old 08-14-2009, 01:23 PM   #3
(female)

ufos8mycat HB User

The PA means well but she came off very harsh towards me, she really upset me by ignoring my OB and the other doctor in the practise's orders not to taper later. I can't believe I saw her even after my OB specifically asked for me not to see her again since she had a moral/ ethical problem with me. I do understand her side of it but I would think that me trying and being willing to get off this drug would help her opinion; she was saying " God Help those Children" about the women who were on Oxycotin and Methadone when they gave birth. I am going to do this but just not in a dangerous manner. As with anyone, she has a good side and a bad side. I am trying to work with her for the time being and then I will just insist on seeing a DR instead of a PA.

If I go into bad withdrawals right now my baby doesn't have a chance of survival at 23 weeks if I got into pre-term labor. Of course at 28-32 weeks it's pretty risky too but there might be a chance for his survivial.

Thank you for your suggestions with the taper too! I will bring it up to the other doctor when I see him on the 26th.

My OB wants me back on the schedules taper but the PM office isn't budging on me withdrawaling NOW. If I hadn't signed the PM contract then my OB would have taken over the taper or admitted me to the hopsital for the taper I am on now so I can be monitered.

Right now I am going through the typical potty break symptom (dont want to get too graphic) and just a littke nausea but the #1 thing I really can't stand is the deep muscle aches, not being able to sleep and anxiety so it really seems to be helping with that. I had heard it helps 1/2 the people with withdrawal and the half it doesnt do squat. It's actually helping me more then the darvocet did.

I'm just scared, I worry about this all the time. My number one concern is for my little one. It always will be. I will do whatever it takes but I just worry about him.

Thanks for listening

Old 08-14-2009, 01:45 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(male)

brianpain33 HB Userbrianpain33 HB User

So are you currently on the Ultram right now? I would be more concerned about that medication than the morphine. Can I ask you where your pain is from and what your pain level is at right now?

brian

Old 08-14-2009, 02:39 PM   #5
(female)

ufos8mycat HB User

Sure- I have lower back pain due to Fibromyalgia and Scoliosis, more or less lower back and upper leg pain. I also have rectal/ sigmoid colon pain due to a resection where the endometriosis and the scar tissue puckered the area so I can feel it when I'm sitting and its worse when I use the restroom ( you would think that being constipated would make it hurt more but it doesn't. it's when I have loss stool where I feel like I am going to die). I have pain right now but I just have to deal with it. My little boy is worth whatever I have to go through, no matter what.

Right now I am taking the ultram (only ultram, they took my morphine at my PM office when I went to talk to the PA and PM doctor briefly and she gave me a script for ultram) as needed and trying not to take it at all. I asked my PM if there was anything else that would help me and they said " no, take the ultram". I think they are just tired of me and as my OB said they are afraid I am going to sue them if they give me opiates.

Basically I have to take what I can get right now. I have no other option then to quit cold turkey. If I did that then my blood pressure would sky rocket, my body would be in distress and I might go into pre-term later and lose my baby.

I have been on ultram before for just a month or so, I was OK after.

My OB said that ultram is better then nothing. All narcotics are in the Pregnancy Category C, only because the baby will be born dependent if you arent off of it when you give birth.

I'm not going to be taking it much longer, just till the 26th. \\My OB and the PM office said it's a good taper medication just as long as I am not on it long term. I really hope they are correct!

It's a very tough situation and I am confident everything will be fine.

Last edited by Administrator; 08-14-2009 at 04:11 PM.

Old 05-27-2012, 10:32 AM   #6
(female)

amberwhite HB User

I really don't understand why the docs are putting you through so much stress, suffering from pain during pregnancy is a big stress for you as well as baby. I too am on Morphine for chronic pain. And was on it when I became pregnant with my fourth daughter (who is now 5 & 1/2 years old) but my docs were against me coming off the morphine they out of all opiates morphine was the safest during pregnancy as well as nursing and that is what I did. I continued taking 45 mgs of long acting morphine once every 12 hours, had a wonderful pain and stress free pregnancy and when my daughter was born she was fine , and she never experianced 1 withdrawl symptom because I breastfeed her, and when she was around a year old I slowly weaned her off the beast milk which contained small amounts of morphine, so by slowly weaning her off she was fine, in fact she and I and the method I choose to use was documented by the health profssion so that morphine can be more available for pregnant and nursing mothers who need pain relief, after all if a mothers quaility is not taken into consideration then neither can the child she's carrying or caring for. And for those of you who are wondering my daughter is 5 almost 6 today and doing wonderfully. Mind you she was of course monitered closely after birth and during her first 3 years by a pediatrition for the purposes of medical documentation . My daughter is a proven fact that a mother should not have to experiance pain or withdrawl to have a safe pregnancy and healthy baby.

Old 05-27-2012, 11:37 AM   #7
(female)

coralreef55 HB User

No, do not do it when you are pregnant. Ultram is a speedy drug, meaning just that. I would stay up for nights at a time and nod off like I was doing opiates but it is nothing like opiates. But, you should do what the doctor says. I bet the Doctor will say No due to stress on bambino.

Old 05-27-2012, 12:55 PM   #8
Inactive
(female)

katlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB User

So, your baby is 3 yrs old now, how'd it go?

Old 05-27-2012, 09:44 PM   #9
(female)

coralreef55 HB User

I don't think you will get addicted to ultram, I would use it for as long as you can during your remaining 15+ weeks. Hang in there, there is a big reward at the end.

Old 05-27-2012, 10:53 PM   #10
Inactive
(female)

katlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB User

hmmm...that didn't do it.

this post is 3 yrs old...just an FYI.

Kat

Old 05-28-2012, 05:24 AM   #11
(female)

coralreef55 HB User

I am going to look in my med book, hold on

Old 05-28-2012, 05:39 AM   #12
(female)

coralreef55 HB User

Hi I have used tramadol for almost a whole summer due to back pain. I can tell you that NO ONE in my family, sisters, brother no one likes the effects of this drug. My daughter (she is 19) said it is terrible. I don't know how to go on without making it a chore to read but I will write the effects it had on me

1. I had a lot more energy
2. It wears off it says in the book it's 1/2 life is 5-9 hrs.
3. I say you have to keep taking them or you are pooped, yes it reminds me of cocaine.
4. I had no appitite and although I didn't eat my body swelled up from pitted adema.
5. when I cant sleep for a long period of time 48 + hrs I tend to be a little worried I won't wake if I need to so of course I would see halucinations.
6. My nieces boy friend had a seizure from ultram.
the guy who answered you about it binding to your serotonin and norepinephrine recepters is right. This drug crosses the placenta.
Ultram is not good for your liver or kidneys
My sister was in the methadone program she is gone now but they gave her a patch of some sort. I will get back to you shortly

Old 05-28-2012, 05:59 AM   #13
(female)

coralreef55 HB User

when my sister got off the opiates she used a
Clonidine transdermal patches for use in outpatient opiate withdrawal. I looked up transdermal patches I thought you were pregnant.

Any way according to the Davis's Drug guide for nurses and the Adverse reactions and side effect with your conditions. I would opt for something in transdermal patch. Good luck, let me know how it goes

I hope you are not surrounded by friend that use for recreational purposes. I pray good luck.

there are many patches but this one Docs may lower as you progress Fentanyl Transdermal Patch

Old 05-28-2012, 09:47 AM   #14
Inactive
(female)

Umm..okay, I'm not sure who your talking to. The person who originally posted this message posted it 3 years ago, in 2009.....

sorry you went to all that trouble for nothing.

Old 05-28-2012, 10:46 AM   #15
(female)

coralreef55 HB User

No problem, sorry for all the spelling errors.

Closed Thread