It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pain Management Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-15-2009, 07:12 PM   #1
(female)

CaliGirl HB UserCaliGirl HB UserCaliGirl HB UserCaliGirl HB UserCaliGirl HB User
Just changed from Percocet to Nucynta.

After 3 year of pain-management (SI joint pain - 3 de-nervations) I was just changed from Percocet 5/325 3x daily to Nucynta. I was previously taking Oxycotin + Percocet but quit the Oxycotin due to a bad experienced with withdrawal when I had the stomack flu. Today was day one on the new med. So far, I took 2 as opposed to my 3 scheduled tablets so far due to some nausea. The pain relief may be a bit better than Percocet especially for the first few hours but, for me, the nausea kicks in about 4-6 hours after the dose after the pain relief has worn off. Anyone else on or considering Nucynta?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-15-2009, 09:07 PM   #2
Inactive
(male)

Executor HB UserExecutor HB UserExecutor HB UserExecutor HB UserExecutor HB UserExecutor HB User
Re: Just changed from Percocet to Nucynta.

NUCYNTA is a single molecule with a different approach to pain relief. It is the first new molecule in analgesia in over 25 years for the relief of moderate to severe acute pain in patients 18 years of age or older.

NUCYNTA works differently than other currently available opioids. Tapentadol (Trade name Nucynta) is a centrally-acting analgesic with a unique dual mode of action as an agonist at the μ-opioid receptor and as a norepinephrine reuptake inhibitor. It is considered to have a potency between tramadol and morphine. Tapentadol is a new agent with opioid and nonopioid acitivity in a single compound.

I'm very curious to hear what you think after you've taken it for a week or so.

Regards,

Ex

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-16-2009, 08:27 AM   #3
(female)

CaliGirl HB UserCaliGirl HB UserCaliGirl HB UserCaliGirl HB UserCaliGirl HB User

Thanks Ex. Today is today 2 with no type of Oxycodone in, say, 3 years. Feeling a little shakey but my PM doctor told me that there would be no withdrawal in the transition.

Old 08-16-2009, 02:41 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

Toonces1 HB UserToonces1 HB UserToonces1 HB UserToonces1 HB UserToonces1 HB User

Caligirl, I took this for a few days after a recent surgery. I went from 2-7.5/325 oxys to 100mgs of Nucynta, and the pain relief was not enough for me to continue. I had to go back on the oxy. However, now that my pain has decreased dramatically (the surgery was a success!) I am considering trying it again to see if I can try this in the long-term rather than staying on the oxy. I also take long-acting morphine 2x/day, and I'm not ready to give that up just yet.

I did have some nausea, but I had a lot of nausea after the surgery on both the increased oxy and the Nucynta, so I didn't chalk it up to Nucynta. Please continue to post on this tread with how it is going? Can you tell us if you were taking one 5/325 or two? How many mgs of Nucynta are you on. I hope this is allowed as I want to see if a switch could be comparable for me.

Old 08-16-2009, 03:42 PM   #5
(female)

Toonces- I was initially taking Oxycotin 15 mg twice daily plus 5/325 mg or Percocet twice daily for breakthrough pain. Then, this past March, I got the stomach flu badly, and missed 4 doses of all meds. I was in such agony I thought that I have to get off this oxycotin. So, I was taking 5/325 mg three times daily. On good days, I needed less, on bad days I needed more. Now I am supposed to be taking 50 mg of Nucynta 4 times a day. So far, I got in two doses yesterday and will go for three doses today. Side effects, aside from a bit of queasyness, are minimal. It is less sedating than Percocet but there is still some sedation. I will keep you posted as to how I like it. My PM doctor told me that it could be a week before I get the full benefits of the SNRI component of the medication (this is a Cymbalta-like drug) b/c it has to build up in your blood stream. I have heard that Cymbalta withdrawal is pure hell for some people and have some concerns about that as well.

Last edited by CaliGirl; 08-17-2009 at 03:12 AM. Reason: typo

Old 08-22-2009, 10:18 PM   #6
(male)

MacGeek HB User

I tried Nucynta. My doctor wanted to try it as i am on dilaudid and thought that Nucynta might be a better choice as i am having to take more and more dilaudid for brake threw pain. He only prescribed me the the 50mg as i was the first person he had ever prescribed it to. I went to get it filled at the Walgreens i usually go to and the Pharm had never heard of it and had to look it up. I wanted to make sure that if it was not working i could take a dilaudid. Lets just say i HATED Nucynta. It offered my very little pain relife and made my higher then a kite. I am on a strong dose of dilaudid 8mg tablets and they really do not affect me to much, the sometimes give me a headach if i take more then 3 a day but that is it. I only had a few dilaudid left so i was stuck with this Nucynta for about a week before I could get my dilaudid refilled. I could hardly work it made me so high. I felt stupid too, words would not come to me when i was trying to talk I am sure that my coworkers thought i was drunk. Not only that but my copay was $75 since this was such a new drug.

I would not waste my money or time (or mind for that matter) with this drug.

Old 01-09-2010, 09:54 AM   #7
(female)

speck91854 HB User

I am on Nucynta. To me I take one 75mg and does nothing. The percocets worked better. Wonder if I should take 2.

Old 01-09-2010, 06:44 PM   #8
(female)

Just a brief update. Still on the Nucynta (versus Percocet). I agree. It does not work as well. I have to take up to 100 mg to get decent pain relief sometimes. That being said, I also realized that I was developing tolerance to both Oxycotin and Percocet and was no longer getting great relief with those meds at the same doses I was on. I recognized that I would have had to get the dosage increased. I decided that I did not want to travel down this road. It leads to a number of problems such as a limited number of providers being willing to prescribe for you. When the weather here in the east broke last May/June, I had a reduction in back pain and realized that my opportunity to get off the heavy narcotics had arrived. Am currently surviving w/the Nucynta, Lyrica and a tens unit. Overall, I am not hearing really teriffic things about Nucynta on the internet. Best wishes to the rest of the PM community. Lisa

The Following User Says Thank You to CaliGirl For This Useful Post:
missus chris (11-19-2010)
Old 01-10-2010, 09:32 AM   #9
Inactive
(male)

Executor HB UserExecutor HB UserExecutor HB UserExecutor HB UserExecutor HB UserExecutor HB User

Many of these new meds, like Nucynta and Opana, work differently than traditional narcotics. For example, Opana's claim to fame is that it targets different receptors.....The scientists found a way to leave out the Mu receptor, which is the main receptor that causes euphoria. The strategy / thought behind it is that the med will still fight pain, but be much less addictive in nature.

While this may work for some, the problem is that the Mu receptor is one of the main pain fighting receptors. Thus, if you don't hit it with med, then you don't adequately treat the pain that is associated with Mu. Unfortunately, "euphoria" or "excitability" may be a side effect of hitting the Mu receptor....Part of the package (of pain fighting).

Thus, it can be a "darned if you do" or "darned if you don't" scenario....Hit the Mu hard, and unpleasant side effects may happen. Avoid the Mu, and the pain fighting may not be nearly as successful. This is why many who have taken Opana have reported that they went into WD....No more med binding to the Mu receptor. Not so surprisingly, it doesn't work as well for many either.

However, the meds do work for some people. I think it all comes down to where one's pain originates from and how it's tied to specific receptors.

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Ex

Old 10-20-2010, 03:43 PM   #10
(male)

evan2life HB User

Yeah, Nucynta makes me stupid. And if I don't take it a day I get really anxious and depressed. so it does have withdrawals. Helps with my pain though. Not much of a high.

Old 10-21-2010, 02:59 PM   #11
(female)

katlovesdogs HB User

I am glad I am not the only one that lost a few brain cells when on this med. I hated it. I told my PM Doc about it and she documented it since it is a new med. I felt so dumb when taking this med for the month I was on it

Closed Thread