It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pain Management Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-19-2009, 12:33 PM   #1
Veteran
(male)

Leo123 HB UserLeo123 HB User
Went to the Doc Today about my T-Level Test

So i went to the dock today about my T-Level results and he tried to tell me that I;m only a little below normal.

My result was 238 and he said normal way 250 - 800.

Thank goodness for this site and all the education I received basically I told him how I felt mood, sexually, and some of my other symptoms and that 238 is not even close to normal for a 30 year old man and that I beleive I should be on some sort of treatment.

To make a long story short after my little speech and me showing the doc I was educated about this condition and I even told him I should probably start and try the androgel, he agreed and wrote me a script for the Androgel pump.

But only for 2.5 Grams a day, according to everything I;ve read I should be taking at least 5grams, if not ten grams depending on a future T-Level test.

So i left a message in his office and I'll see what he says.

Any ideas about how much I should be taking a day. Cause even on the medication packet it says that if you need less the 5 grams a day you should not even be on the androgel and obviously being only at 238 I think 2.5 grams won't raise my T-level that much.

Please ignore my terrible spelling and gramar mistakes I wrote this superfast.

But again I can;t thank some of you guys enough. Especially Ex and Brian because here I'am today with the script for androgel in my hand and ready to start treatment I hope this helps improve all those symptoms of depression, tiredness, sex drive (lack of), I have been having.

I wonder how long it takes to start feeling improvements, any thoughts on that as well.

Thank YOU

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-19-2009, 01:56 PM   #2
(male)

XBOX4EVR HB User
Re: Went to the Doc Today about my T-Level Test

Thats where mine was also, I'm just going to get off the norco. I'm so tired of them. I have to nerves which are trapped under bone spurs which cause pinched nervers in c1 and c2 of my neck. I ready to just deal with the pain, because one thing you need to remember about pain meds it lowers your tolerance to pain in general and once you get it out of your system your pain usally never as bad as you think it is.

Last edited by XBOX4EVR; 08-19-2009 at 01:58 PM.

Old 08-19-2009, 08:59 PM   #3
Inactive
(male)

Executor HB UserExecutor HB UserExecutor HB UserExecutor HB UserExecutor HB UserExecutor HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo123 View Post
So i went to the dock today about my T-Level results and he tried to tell me that I;m only a little below normal.

My result was 238 and he said normal way 250 - 800.

Thank goodness for this site and all the education I received basically I told him how I felt mood, sexually, and some of my other symptoms and that 238 is not even close to normal for a 30 year old man and that I beleive I should be on some sort of treatment.

To make a long story short after my little speech and me showing the doc I was educated about this condition and I even told him I should probably start and try the androgel, he agreed and wrote me a script for the Androgel pump.
I don't mean to be crass, but I had a feeling this was going to happen....That is why I warned you up front that they would try to tell you that you were low normal. The problem is that with all due respect, this Doc doesn't understand HRT. That "range" from the lab of 250-800 is for all men...Not 30 year old men. The median for your age is around 650. So, you're less than half of what you should be. The average for men 25-34 is 750. Keep in mind that 25 year old men are probably at their peak T levels, while 34 year old men are declining.

I would reinforce to him what you read on the packet as that is powerful information....Right from the manufacturer. 5g is the recommended starting dose according to the manufacturer. Can't get much plainer than that. Additionally, the 5g packets are the smallest dose it comes in if I'm not mistaken. The 5g packets are meant to be used in it's entirety....Not saved for a second dose later. Unless one were to put it in a zip lock baggie or something, there's really no way for one to save it. Furthermore, it's alcohol based to aid in absorption and dry quickly, so I don't think it's meant to be saved. I would tell him all of this as well.

Hopefully, he did a prostate exam. It really should be done. In fact, it's also recommended by the manufacturer. It establishes a "baseline" for later in life. They can compare your prostate size at age 50 to when you were 30.

Based on the all the information you have provided, I would think seriously about seeing a URO. They are the experts in T, for the obvious reasons.

Glad to hear, however, that at least you're on your way to getting the help you need. Best of luck to you.

Regards,

Ex

Last edited by Executor; 08-19-2009 at 09:02 PM.

Old 08-20-2009, 10:31 AM   #4
Veteran
(male)

Leo123 HB UserLeo123 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Executor View Post
Hopefully, he did a prostate exam. It really should be done. In fact, it's also recommended by the manufacturer. It establishes a "baseline" for later in life. They can compare your prostate size at age 50 to when you were 30.

Based on the all the information you have provided, I would think seriously about seeing a URO. They are the experts in T, for the obvious reasons.

Glad to hear, however, that at least you're on your way to getting the help you need. Best of luck to you.Ex
Yes Thank you again for some of the Eductaion you gave me. And that I was able to tell him that my T-Levels are not normal. I remember you warned me of this in a previous thread and I was prepared that he was going to see my T-Levels are only slightly below normal which is exactly what he said. And in fact like you say they are way under normal for a man of my age. - So I do thank you again for that-

Yes you might be right about going to URO instead as my doctor seems a little uneducated about this.

Honestly no he did not perform a prostate exam. he only checked my front parts out.
And to be honest while you did warn me about the prostate exam, when he bipassed that test I wasn't ready to jump up and tell that he forgot to put on the gloves and stick his finger you know where.
I read on a chart men should start getting prsotate exams in there mid fourties, also I;m do for a complete Physical work up in about a week, so I;m sure it will happen then.

Oh and yes he did raise my dosage to 5 grams after I called and left a message with the nurse.

Honeslty these days you really have to educate yourself on your own medical stuff because you just can't rely on the docs. You got to show you know what you are taking about otherwise you may not get the treatment you need.

Last edited by Leo123; 08-20-2009 at 10:33 AM.

Old 08-20-2009, 05:52 PM   #5
Inactive
(male)

Executor HB UserExecutor HB UserExecutor HB UserExecutor HB UserExecutor HB UserExecutor HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo123 View Post

Honeslty these days you really have to educate yourself on your own medical stuff because you just can't rely on the docs. You got to show you know what you are taking about otherwise you may not get the treatment you need.
The big problem with this area is that male HRT is a very new thing....And most Docs just haven't been trained to adequately treat someone like you. And I don't mean to be crass, but this is kinda scary because you are teaching him. HRT isn't dangerous by any means, but it's complex enough to where things can happen and you really need to be in better hands. I strongly suggest you get hooked up with a URO somewhere...Preferably a younger one as younger Docs are more likely to embrace aggressive HRT.

Best of luck to you.

Ex

Closed Thread