It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pain Management Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-22-2009, 11:03 AM   #1
(female)

needhealing777 HB Userneedhealing777 HB User
does vicodin have caffeine in it?

I've been on it a couple years and lately feel real jittery...don't know if has a stimulant in it and I just can't handle it anymore or what and if it does have caffeine or something in it, is there a pain medicine that doesn't? I hate that feeling.

Old 09-22-2009, 07:30 PM   #2
Inactive
(male)

Executor HB UserExecutor HB UserExecutor HB UserExecutor HB UserExecutor HB UserExecutor HB User
Re: does vicodin have caffeine in it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by needhealing777 View Post
I've been on it a couple years and lately feel real jittery...don't know if has a stimulant in it and I just can't handle it anymore or what and if it does have caffeine or something in it, is there a pain medicine that doesn't? I hate that feeling.
No, it does not have caffeine in it. Vicodin is hydrocodone with Tylenol. In fact, very few pain meds contain caffeine....Mainly the "headache" meds such as fioricet and fiorinal and etc. The caffeine helps dilate the blood vessels. The OTC med with caffeine is Excedrin....Tylenol, aspirin and caffeine.

The "jittery" feeling is probably some measure of WD. If you've been on it a couple of years, it's probably not the euphoria or excitement modes at work...You've been on it too long for that to happen any more. Conversely, when your BPL (blood plasma level) goes below a certain level, the physical dependance side of things kicks in. The "jittery" feeling is your body letting you know it's missing the chemical.

This is also known as the "ups and downs" of taking pain meds. You take the med, and your BPL skyrockets, then quickly declines. This happens over and over all day long as you take the med.

Thus, it's probably time for you to move to a long acting med where the therapeutic dose stays higher all day long in your system....An elevated BPL. Then, one takes some type of BT med (short acting) for the flare ups that happen from time to time.

Regards,

Ex

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-22-2009, 08:08 PM   #3
Inactive
(female)

PNo HB User

Some people are sensitive to Tylenol and it can ave same effects to you as drinking caffeine. I am one of those people who get wired from the tylenol. When taken along with even one caffeine drink during the day - I would stay up the whole night.

Old 09-23-2009, 08:24 PM   #4
(male)

dave490 HB Userdave490 HB Userdave490 HB Userdave490 HB Userdave490 HB Userdave490 HB Userdave490 HB User

Assuming you're in the USA, Ex is right - straight-out painkillers - especially narcotics - don't have caffeine. However, in Canada for example, some do. The Canadians have a tylenol/codeine/caffeine compound - 30mg tylenol, 30mg caffeine and 7.5mg codeine which, by the way, is OTC in Canada. They do have a monthly limit, but you don't need a script. They have other pain meds with caffeine in them.

Last edited by dave490; 09-23-2009 at 08:26 PM.

Closed Thread