It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pain Management Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-28-2009, 06:17 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

Fiona_Jo HB UserFiona_Jo HB UserFiona_Jo HB UserFiona_Jo HB UserFiona_Jo HB UserFiona_Jo HB User
Question Fentanyl patch, Soma and sleepiness

I am currently on pain management and on the 25 mcg Fentanyl patch, Norco 10/325 (breakthru pain) about 4-5 per day (depending on the day) and Soma two per day for muscle spasms.

I have found the Fentanyl patch even seems to help with the spasms some (I used to require three Soma per day). Now, sometimes I don't even take two in the course of a day. However, I have noticed when I do need to take a Soma, I am taken over with extreme sleepiness that renders me practically useless. I know it's the Soma and not the Norco, because I do not get this sleepiness when I take the Norco.

I'm guessing it's a combination of the Fentanyl patch and the Soma that is causing this, because honestly I never had this issues with Soma before. Sure, it would relax me - but it never used to render me unconscious.

I was just wondering if there is anyone else that has used/uses the patch and have had this experience Soma in combination with it? Soma has always been effective for my muscle spasms, so I haven't had any reason to try another muscle relaxer. But, I was wondering if anyone who has used the patch or uses the patch has had experience with a different muscle relaxer. The thing is my muscle spasms hit at various times throughout the day and like I said sometimes I don't even need the Soma, but when I do I would like to be able to take it. But, it's hard to explain to my family why I'm suddenly needing to sleep! There are things I have to get done during the day and I hate to disrupt my whole day. I guess I could just start dealing with the spasms and not taking anything.

Any ideas are appreciated.

~ Fiona Jo

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-28-2009, 06:26 PM   #2
(male)

mark76 HB User
Re: Fentanyl patch, Soma and sleepiness

Don't have experience with these meds (though I'm sure someone will come around who will!). However, Soma is known as the most sedating muscle relaxant, and now there could be a synergy here that isn't working for you. The good news is that there certainly many other muscle relaxers you could try that are far less sedating. However, if they aren't as effective as Soma for you, you should definitely let your doctor now, b/c your doctor could provide you something to help this problem (i.e., when you need to take Soma, perhaps your doctor could have you take a low dose of a stimulant to counteract any excessive sedation).

Old 09-28-2009, 06:33 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

Fiona_Jo HB UserFiona_Jo HB UserFiona_Jo HB UserFiona_Jo HB UserFiona_Jo HB UserFiona_Jo HB User
Smile Re: Fentanyl patch, Soma and sleepiness

mark:

Thanks for your reply.
The funny thing prior to being on the patch, I never experienced the kind of sleepiness I am currently experiencing with the Soma. So, I think you're right it must be some sort of synergy with the Fentanyl and soma combination. I'm starting to wonder if I should try just taking half of a soma when I get a spasm. My spasms tend to be very intense and I would like to take something that helps, but being rendered completely useless seems pointless to me.

I appreciate your feedback and suggestions!

~ Fiona Jo

Last edited by Fiona_Jo; 09-28-2009 at 06:37 PM.

Old 09-29-2009, 12:43 AM   #4
(male)

guy in AU HB User

An easy one to try would be taking a 200mg caffeine tablet with your Soma (eg, NoDoz, Vivarin)

Old 10-01-2009, 04:43 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

Kissa HB UserKissa HB UserKissa HB UserKissa HB UserKissa HB User

I would not suggest caffeine, mixing it with certain medications can cause a rapid heart beat. Be careful and discuss it with your doctor.

I take Soma every 8 hours and yes it makes me very groggy but it is the only effective muscle relaxer for me at this time. There is a new long acting flexeril which can be effective for some (was not for me), you may want to discuss with your doctor the alternatives which may leave you less sedated.

Old 04-17-2010, 08:29 PM   #6
(female)

superstressed HB User

I have tried Soma and Flexeril with no help for my muscle spasms. I take Zanaflex 4mg which will knock you off your feet by itself. It's a short-acting muscle relaxer, so I'm prescribed 4 pills a day. When I started taking 50mcg Fentanyl patches with the Zanaflex, I noticed that I was way more sleepier than I was with just the muscle relaxer, so I do believe that there is some correlation between muscle relaxers and Fentanyl. I take Vicodin HP for breakthrough pain, and that does not make me sleepy at all. As a matter of fact, it's very hard to find a drug that will make me sleepy, so I enjoy the combination of Zanaflex and Fentanyl because I have trouble sleeping.
Right Wrist Arthroscopy 08/2001
Tonsillectomy/Turbinectomy, 09/2001

Old 04-21-2010, 05:28 PM   #7
(female)

Shutter HB User

I have been on Soma for a couple of years now. During that time, I have taken Soma with Morphine Sulfate IR, MS Contin and as of today the Fent Patch. And honestly, it doesn't seem to matter which med I take with the Soma...The Soma makes me sleepy. As a matter of fact, I think I pretty much fall asleep every darn time I take Soma and happen to be laying down. But it seems like it really helps overall, so I've stayed on it.

However, since I just switched to the Fent Patch today, I will try and pay a little more attention to how I feel after I take the Soma.

Shutter.

Closed Thread