It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pain Management Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-19-2009, 08:49 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(male)

mel486 HB User
Bad generic Percocet batch?

I've taken Percocets on and off for the last year, mostly on, for a neck injury. I usually don't take the medication except when the pain becomes unbearable. I've been down the withdrawal route before and I'm trying to stay clear of it again.

Recently, I had a prescription refilled and I received generic oxycodone and acetaminophen. In the past I have not had any problems taking this med (non-generic), but this batch I get migraine-like headaches the next morning and nothing helps them other than burying my head in my pillow and not moving for 8 hours. The headaches last 12+ hours. I have some old Percocets and they don't bother me at all. But, I only have a couple left. I've stopped taking the generic pills and will talk to the pharmacist tomorrow. I know you can't return prescriptions, especially Class II pharmaceuticals, but I don't have enough of the old Percs to get me through until my 30-days is up (2+ weeks).

Anyone else have problems with generic Percocets?

Old 10-20-2009, 07:08 AM   #2
Inactive
(male)

Executor HB UserExecutor HB UserExecutor HB UserExecutor HB UserExecutor HB UserExecutor HB User
Re: Bad generic Percocet batch?

You may be having some reaction to the inactive ingredients, fillers, and etc....They are quite different than the brand. I assume the other pills you have are "brand."

If so, and they aren't causing any problems, I would call the Doc's office and ask if you could bring in the remaining generics you have left and have them destroyed, and have them write you a new script for the balance. So, if you return 20 generics to the Doc's office for destruction, they give you a script for 20 brand pills. Make sure they write on the script "DAW", dispense as written, or "Brand only."

Many don't realize it, but there are often major differences between brand and generic. Sorry you're having to deal with this.

Regards,

Ex

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-20-2009, 07:14 PM   #3
Inactive
(female)

Boxerluver HB UserBoxerluver HB UserBoxerluver HB UserBoxerluver HB UserBoxerluver HB UserBoxerluver HB UserBoxerluver HB UserBoxerluver HB User

I had this happen with generic Mallinckroidt dilaudid. I couldn't figure out what was going on, never had headaches before. Ex made point, see if you can get different generic or brand.

Old 10-20-2009, 10:22 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(male)

mel486 HB User

I talked to the pharmacist today and she basically said the same thing. So tomorrow I'll talk to the pain mgt doc and see what he has to say. Arizona monitors Class II prescriptions at the state level, so I don't want to get on some "abusers" list. I have always received my prescriptions from the same doc and go to the same pharmacy to have them filled.

Old 10-21-2009, 07:18 AM   #5
Inactive
(male)

Executor HB UserExecutor HB UserExecutor HB UserExecutor HB UserExecutor HB UserExecutor HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by denon View Post
I talked to the pharmacist today and she basically said the same thing. So tomorrow I'll talk to the pain mgt doc and see what he has to say. Arizona monitors Class II prescriptions at the state level, so I don't want to get on some "abusers" list. I have always received my prescriptions from the same doc and go to the same pharmacy to have them filled.
I would offer to bring the meds in to be destroyed in exchange for a new script. As long as everything is documented, there will be no issue. States which have these monitoring systems only use them to track and prosecute people....People don't pop up as some warning signal or etc. As long as everyone in your script chain of command is aware of what happened, all will be fine.

You were smart to run this by the pharmacist. When you get your new script, tell the pharmacist about the destruction.

Hope this works out for you.

Regards,

Ex

Last edited by Executor; 10-21-2009 at 07:20 AM.

Old 10-21-2009, 05:02 PM   #6
(male)

dave490 HB Userdave490 HB Userdave490 HB Userdave490 HB Userdave490 HB Userdave490 HB Userdave490 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Executor View Post
I would offer to bring the meds in to be destroyed in exchange for a new script. As long as everything is documented, there will be no issue. States which have these monitoring systems only use them to track and prosecute people....People don't pop up as some warning signal or etc. As long as everyone in your script chain of command is aware of what happened, all will be fine.

You were smart to run this by the pharmacist. When you get your new script, tell the pharmacist about the destruction.

Hope this works out for you.

Regards,

Ex
by all means take your meds to the Dr. for destruction. They can safely get rid of them, and you'll also prove that you're on the level.

Old 10-21-2009, 07:40 PM   #7
Inactive
(male)

Quote:
Originally Posted by daveseavy View Post

by all means take your meds to the Dr. for destruction. They can safely get rid of them, and you'll also prove that you're on the level.
Yes, by offering to bring the pills in for destruction, you eliminate any possibility that they may think something shaky is going on. That's why I suggested it, but didn't quite spell it out that way.

Regards,

Ex

Old 10-21-2009, 08:30 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(male)

mel486 HB User

I read on another Health Board (sorry, I do snoop around) about the SAME symptoms of intense headaches. The brand that I have, is the same as the other person who is having severe headaches, which is Mallinckrodt. This is the first time I've been prescribed this brand of Oxy and first time I've had the severe headaches. I'll talk to the Pain Doc tomorrow to see about having these destroyed and getting a new non-generic prescription.

Old 10-21-2009, 09:13 PM   #9
Inactive
(male)

Quote:
Originally Posted by denon View Post

The brand that I have, is the same as the other person who is having severe headaches, which is Mallinckrodt.
If you search this board / site via the name "Mallinckrodt" you'll find that posters here have nicknamed them "Mallincrappy."

Best of luck at your appointment.

Regards,

Ex

Old 10-22-2009, 10:52 AM   #10
(female)

silentwarrior HB User

Denon,

I am thinking out loud here but...

I noticed that the new med Nugenta (or however it is spelled) had also caused a bad migraine (or migraine type headache).

Any chance that your neck injury has all of the sudden sparked a bout of severe headaches??

That said, I too have had bad reactions to generic forms of certain meds so it very well may be just that....but....if your Doc lets you turn in your meds and switch to the brand ones and you still get these nasty headaches I would consider the possibility that your neck may be causing them.

Either way I hope that you get to the bottom of the issue soon and begin to feel better. I get migraines as well and UGH....so not fun esp. in combo with other pain.

Peace,

SW

Old 10-22-2009, 07:45 PM   #11
Senior Veteran
(male)

mel486 HB User

The new drug you're refering to is Nucynta - tried it and it didn't work to get rid of the pain and also gave me headaches, which is a common side effect. I have a post about it in the Addiction & Dependency forum.

I verified that the headaches come from the Mallinckrodt Oxy. Once I stopped taking it, the headaches went away and have stayed away. When I take it again, my headaches start. If the pain becomes too unbearable, then I have a few vicodins available that I can take. Unfortunately, they usually put me to sleep. The headaches are worse than my neck-injury pain right now, so I've decided to stop taking any meds and deal with the pain for the time being. I called the Pain Doc today and I'm waiting for a call back from him.

Thanks!

Old 10-23-2009, 10:01 AM   #12
(female)

silentwarrior HB User

Yeah I read your post on that new med that's how I noticed severe headaches with both that med and the generic percs. Was just sorta brain storming out loud I guess.

I'm sorry to hear that the migraines are worse than your neck pain and if I were in your situation I would stay away from the offending med as well. I hope that your pm Doc calls soon and works with you to solve this painful issue.

Also, please forgive me for spelling errors as I try to use spell check and have Hubby proof read before I hit send. After effects of two brain surgeries has me thinking in my native language more often than not.

Wishing you as pain free moments as possible,

SW

Old 10-23-2009, 02:25 PM   #13
Senior Veteran
(male)

mel486 HB User

Not a problem with the spelling errors, especially with new drugs. If I didn't use a spell checker, nobody would be able to read my posts. :-)

It's just frustrating when you are in pain and there is no relief. I was pretty high up on the pain scale yesterday because I needed to get some work done in my office and sitting seems to hurt me the worse. I finally gave up at midnight and crawled in bed with an ice pack on my neck. I took a few vicodins to help relieve the pain and by 3AM I was in a little better shape and finally went to sleep. This morning I woke up in pain - not a good sign for the rest of the day, but I'm just going to push through it and take lots of breaks when I hurt too bad. The couch is my friend!! I just wish I could take something to help with the pain so I could get more work done.

Old 11-15-2009, 10:08 PM   #14
Senior Veteran
(male)

mel486 HB User

Just to be fair to Mallinckrodt, I have experimented a little and I am now taking the Mallinckrodt Oxy w/o any headaches. It seems that initially when I was taking the Oxy, I was also taking Cymbalta, Lyrica and Skelaxen for the muscle and nerve pain. I stopped taking them and when I take the Oxy by itself, I don't get the severe headaches anymore. I just wanted to clarify.

Closed Thread