It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....



Pain Management Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-10-2009, 08:33 PM   #1
Senior Member
(female)
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 154
pmtest HB User
Pharmacy...again

Hope everyone is doing well tonight...

I called my pm yesterday at 1115 asking if they would call me in a refill on my lortab and mobic because I was at home with a sick child. My appt was today, but I knew I would be home with her because she has the flu. I have never did this, so I really wasnt sure if this was an option. But the nurse called me at 530 yesterday, making sure of the pharmacy and said she was going to call it in right then. So, about 1 1/2 hours later I went to pick it up and the tech told me that they didnt have anything for me. I told him what the nurse told me and he said that nothing had came in yet. In the meantime, I just got this feeling that something wasnt right, because the pharmacist would not make eye contact with me. I know that sounds strange, but it was almost like he was avoiding looking at me. He overheard what was going on, I think. I have never got my scripts filled at night, so I have never seen any of these people, including the pharmacist. I picked up a few things and went back by just in case and still no script. I told the tech that just didnt make any sense. His response "we have never lost a script before." Well, we know thats not true, everyone makes mistakes and things happen, it was like he knew it was there...I dont know... The pharmacy closes at 9, so I called them at 845 just to be sure before I called my dr first thing this morning asking about it. Again, no presciption.

So, I called first thing this morning and spoke with the nurse who called me yesterday. She said I called it in right when we hung up and even remembered what it was. She told me she verified everything with the pharmacist, meaning she didnt leave a voice mail or send it electronically. She spoke to the same pharamcist who avoided looking at me while I was there last night. She called the pharmacy again this morning and spoke with a girl that told her she was looking at my FILLED script. It was there when she got there this morning. WHAT????

So, not wanting to get my sick child out, my husband picked it up on his way home from work for me. I am going to talk to the pharmacist, who I normally deal with in the mornings when I usually go, who is also the lead pharmacist. I am also going to go back and talk to the tech and the pharamacist that was there last night. I plan on doing this tomorrow, but why would they do this? My meds even say that they were filled yesterday and also on the bag (that they put your meds in) it has a pick up at 9am for tomorrow (with this tomorrow being this morning). I just do not get this. It just doesnt make any sense to me.

I know it has nothing to do with insurance, because it was only a day early. And if that was the case, it seems like they would have told me that, you know??? Why? Why? Why?

Also, what if this would have been today? When my meds ran out, I am only given a 28 day supply and today is the 28th day. I would have said more last night, but there was nothing I really could have done, except get mad, you know???
__________________
Take Care
A

Last edited by pmtest; 11-10-2009 at 09:23 PM.

 
Sponsors Lightbulb
   
Old 11-11-2009, 10:28 AM   #2
Inactive
(male)
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 4,017
Executor HB UserExecutor HB UserExecutor HB UserExecutor HB UserExecutor HB UserExecutor HB User
Re: Pharmacy...again

Oh boy.....This has struck a nerve with me....BIG TIME. It's probably best that this happened to you and not to me because someone would be out of a job if that were to happen to me. I usually don't get upset at things, and rarely complain about issues, but this to me, is a very clear case of manipulation and tampering. Someone in that pharmacy is playing God and better have a reason for this one.

If it were me, I'd push this one has high as I could...Up to pharmacy and store management, including corporate. You can't just deal with store mgt because the pharmacists have their own chain of command. That pharmacy corporate upper mgt needs to know what's going on at the store level and if you handle this right, this renegade pharmacist will never do this again to anyone, or he'd lose his job.

You have all the evidence...The date on the bag, the discussion with the nurse, and etc. The insurance isn't an issue because once a Doc calls in or provides a new Rx, it overrides the previous one in terms of directions and etc. The "early refill" only applies to official refills where it's a continuation of the first script. Technically speaking, you could have had a different emergency, a different condition, worsening....Who knows....The point is that it's NOT up to the pharmacist to ration out the meds. Sounds to me like he was making you wait the full 30 days. Well, it's not his call! Pharmacists can, however, refuse to fill any script for any reason, but they are required to tell you upfront....Not wait. So, if the pharmacist in question had an issue, he should have just said that it was called in but that he's not comfortable filling it.

I really hope you push this one because it's pharmacists like this who hassle good, law abiding CPers like us. He obviously has no respect for CP, PM, or even for you as a patient. If he's doing this to you, he's doing it to others....A radical pharmacist doesn't just do this off the cuff, or one time.

I'm not blaming you one bit, but my BP is through the roof. Thanks for sharing, and I'm sorry this happened to you.

Regards,

Ex

 
Old 11-11-2009, 10:37 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)
 
rosequartz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Chicago,IL
Posts: 10,351
rosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB User
Re: Pharmacy...again

sounds like a pharmacist on a power trip......

I agree you should take this up as high as you can....

 
Old 11-11-2009, 11:18 AM   #4
Senior Member
(female)
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 154
pmtest HB User
Re: Pharmacy...again

Quote:
Originally Posted by Executor View Post

If it were me, I'd push this one has high as I could...Up to pharmacy and store management, including corporate. You can't just deal with store mgt because the pharmacists have their own chain of command. That pharmacy corporate upper mgt needs to know what's going on at the store level and if you handle this right, this renegade pharmacist will never do this again to anyone, or he'd lose his job.
I am planning on doing this, I went today and the pharmicist whom I normally deal with was not there. How do I get further up, how do I get higher than even the lead pharmicist. Believe me, it will NOT be left alone.

Also, when you say that they are required to tell you about having to wait to fill it for whatever the reason, do you mean like legally/pharmacy board or what?? Just want to get my ducks in a row. Thanks again
__________________
Take Care
A

 
Old 11-11-2009, 07:41 PM   #5
Inactive
(male)
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 4,017
Executor HB UserExecutor HB UserExecutor HB UserExecutor HB UserExecutor HB UserExecutor HB User
Re: Pharmacy...again

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmtest View Post
I am planning on doing this, I went today and the pharmicist whom I normally deal with was not there. How do I get further up, how do I get higher than even the lead pharmicist. Believe me, it will NOT be left alone.
You have a couple of different resources:
  • You could ask the pharmacist who you normally deal with for the contact information of the district or region office. You would need to specifically inquire about the chain of command and who they report to...District? Region? Every organization is different in terms of how they're structured. Each pharmacy has what they call a "PIC" or Pharmacist in charge. This person will then report to either a district or region pharmacy manager. This is the first person you want to get to.
  • You could go to the pharmacy website and get contact information this way. There's most certainly corporate contact information and you could call and ask for the contact information for the supervisor / mgr who oversees the particular store where you experienced this problem. I'd tell them that you have a very serious issue re: the store and store personnel and need to get to a manager somehow. They'll probably ask you for information about what happened and I wouldn't tell any general person on the phone anything. Any type of advanced warning could give them time to formulate a lie response.
  • You could contact another store of the same chain in your area and ask to speak to a pharmacist....Or go see them in person. Tell them that you have a problem and need the contact information for whoever the store pharmacy PIC reports to. Tell them that you don't want to ask the other pharmacy for this information for the obvious reason(s). Normally, all the stores in a geographic area all report to the same district, region, zone, or whatever they call it.
  • I would also write a letter to whatever corporate address I obtained and send it directly to the CEO and "CC" your state's board of pharmacy.


Quote:
Originally Posted by pmtest View Post
Also, when you say that they are required to tell you about having to wait to fill it for whatever the reason, do you mean like legally/pharmacy board or what?? Just want to get my ducks in a row. Thanks again
I'm not sure I understand your question, but what I meant was that a pharmacist can elect to not fill any script for any reason. For the sake of argument, let's say a pharmacist doesn't think a dosage or qty is safe, or could possibly conflict with some other med the patient is taking, or in the case of narcotics, thinks something is fishy. IF the pharmacist doesn't feel comfortable filling the script for whatever reason, then protocol is for the pharmacist to tell the customer they aren't comfortable filling the script, or whatever language they want to use....NOT to act like they didn't get it and etc. When a script comes in, the pharmacist is supposed to either fill it or reject it....NOT act like it's missing or never came in. That's unethical.

Additionally, a pharmacist isn't legally able to overrule a script...If it was called in and requested to be filled that day, then it should have been filled (or rejected). That script was a "Doctor's orders." It is not to be held till the next day, unless the Doc requested this of course. The fact that the date on the bag/bottle shows that it was dispensed, means it was billed to insurance on that day as well. Holding the script till the next day is outright manipulation. If he "planned" it, then it's conspiracy. Additionally, he lied to a customer, which is an additional issue.

Again, my main issue would be that there was a reason that the med was called in when it was, and the it could have been a change in your condition, a new condition, or whatever. It goes without saying that the Dr felt the patient should have the med. It's not up to the pharmacist to speculate that it was a day early and you should have some med left still. That's not his call. The only time it's his call is when a Rx is given with multiple refills. The refills are an extension of the original Dr. orders. Conversely, this was a new script. This is a very important part of the equation.

The fact that your RX was held intentionally shows willful misconduct, not to mention pain and suffering. What if a patient didn't get their pain meds and as a result, had escalating BP and something very bad cardiovascular happened as a result? The pharmacy/corporation would be liable since they contributed to the effects by holding the script. That would be my issue and I'd pound it home with an example just like the one I used. I'd put an exclamation point on my position by telling whatever mgr I spoke to that it's probably not in their best interest to be withholding medication when there is a medical need. It's called "negligence."

Hope some of this helps. I'm sorry if I'm over passionate about this situation. It just really gets my blood boiling when good, honest CPers are treated with disrespect and compounded with medical negligence. This is a very serious issue where people's health is at stake. This renegade pharmacist probably speculated that you were getting your meds a day early and it's much more than that. He shouldn't be speculating in the first place, but rather, carrying out Dr.'s orders.

Regards,

Ex

 
Old 11-12-2009, 04:16 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Australia
Posts: 520
Jema X HB User
Re: Pharmacy...again

Hey Pm,

After having someone withhold my own pain relief from me in the past few days, I can totally understand how angry you are and totally agree that you should take this to the highest level. I don't know what the laws are in the US - in Aus you can get a script at anytime if it's ordered by the doc, insurance has no say - but what Ex has to say sounds pretty accurate to me, I know it's something she's very passionate about. I can't believe that someone lied to your face - if nothing else, this is unforgivable...and the fact that the pharmcist allowed it to happen (when they're the person in charge, with knowledge of what's happening) is beyond believable, they should lose their licenses.

Good luck and let us know how you go,

Jem

 
Old 11-13-2009, 03:48 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: State of Mizery, USA
Posts: 629
tiggertoo2174 HB Usertiggertoo2174 HB Usertiggertoo2174 HB Usertiggertoo2174 HB User
Re: Pharmacy...again

Hi PM,

I just wanted to get you some information on how to find names, addresses, phone numbers of corporate offices, CEO's, CFO's, etc. The best way is to look up the corporation name in any of the popular search engines and find the Stock Ticker. This will be a 3-6 letter abbreviation that identifies the company. You can then look up that abbreviation on any of the stock market information pages. The address, phone, and officers will be listed under Company Information or Stockholder Information - something like that. I'm familiar with searching for this kind of information so if you get stuck feel free to PM me and I'll see if I can find it.

Pharmacies and pharmacists that pull this kind of thing infuriate me too. I wish I had photographed everything when I was given the wrong med, without that the State Board could not prosecute. There was absolutely NO excuse for what happened to you. Ex. is right, what if you had high BP or heart problems - pain can send that off the scale and land you in the hospital, or worse.

Tigg.

 
Old 11-13-2009, 07:02 AM   #8
Inactive
(male)
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 4,017
Executor HB UserExecutor HB UserExecutor HB UserExecutor HB UserExecutor HB UserExecutor HB User
Re: Pharmacy...again

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiggertoo2174 View Post
There was absolutely NO excuse for what happened to you. Ex. is right, what if you had high BP or heart problems - pain can send that off the scale and land you in the hospital, or worse.
Or....What if a person went into WD because of a situation like this....WD is serious stress on the body and depending on one's underlying condition, a number of things could happen.....Even to seemingly healthy people. Refusing to fill a script like this could essentially cause cold turkey WDs.

I'm looking forward to PM posting an update.

Ex

 
Old 11-13-2009, 07:46 AM   #9
Senior Member
(female)
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 154
pmtest HB User
Re: Pharmacy...again

Quote:
Originally Posted by Executor View Post
You have a couple of different resources:
  • You could ask the pharmacist who you normally deal with for the contact information of the district or region office. You would need to specifically inquire about the chain of command and who they report to...District? Region? Every organization is different in terms of how they're structured. Each pharmacy has what they call a "PIC" or Pharmacist in charge. This person will then report to either a district or region pharmacy manager. This is the first person you want to get to.
  • You could go to the pharmacy website and get contact information this way. There's most certainly corporate contact information and you could call and ask for the contact information for the supervisor / mgr who oversees the particular store where you experienced this problem. I'd tell them that you have a very serious issue re: the store and store personnel and need to get to a manager somehow. They'll probably ask you for information about what happened and I wouldn't tell any general person on the phone anything. Any type of advanced warning could give them time to formulate a lie response.
  • You could contact another store of the same chain in your area and ask to speak to a pharmacist....Or go see them in person. Tell them that you have a problem and need the contact information for whoever the store pharmacy PIC reports to. Tell them that you don't want to ask the other pharmacy for this information for the obvious reason(s). Normally, all the stores in a geographic area all report to the same district, region, zone, or whatever they call it.
  • I would also write a letter to whatever corporate address I obtained and send it directly to the CEO and "CC" your state's board of pharmacy.

Regards,

Ex

Ok, this is what I think I am going to do. Please tell me if you think this would be okay. I typed a letter to send to the pharmacy board as well as to the pharmacy corp address. I am not going to talk to the store because I do not want them to have time to prepare more lies

My only concern, is my future. Meaning, I dont want them to come back like I am a drug addict or something. I have got my scipts filled early before, when I was going every 3 months, I now go every month. Not because I was out, but because I was already in the store. But they just see it as she got her meds filled a week early a few times. My dr doesnt know this, this was before the monitoring began. I just do not want to stir up things, when things are going so well with my pm dr, you know?

Thanks everyone for giving me advice.
__________________
Take Care
A

 
Old 11-13-2009, 07:43 PM   #10
Inactive
(male)
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 4,017
Executor HB UserExecutor HB UserExecutor HB UserExecutor HB UserExecutor HB UserExecutor HB User
Re: Pharmacy...again

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmtest View Post
Ok, this is what I think I am going to do. Please tell me if you think this would be okay. I typed a letter to send to the pharmacy board as well as to the pharmacy corp address. I am not going to talk to the store because I do not want them to have time to prepare more lies
If that's how you'd rather handle things, then that's fine. You need to do what you think is best. Personally, I'd do both....Send a letter and talk to someone. If it were me, I'd want to explain everything in detail and emphasize what happened while you were standing at the counter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmtest View Post
My only concern, is my future. Meaning, I dont want them to come back like I am a drug addict or something. I have got my scipts filled early before, when I was going every 3 months, I now go every month. Not because I was out, but because I was already in the store. But they just see it as she got her meds filled a week early a few times. My dr doesnt know this, this was before the monitoring began. I just do not want to stir up things, when things are going so well with my pm dr, you know?
The past is the past. I can't see where they would dig through your records. That was all quite some time ago. And technically speaking, you didn't do anything wrong. The scripts weren't post dated or anything. The pharmacy filled them, so all was fine. You know what happened back then because it's you....But I doubt seriously someone could make heads or tails of the past without intimate knowledge of everything.

There's always other pharmacies re: the future. But honestly, once you surface this, I doubt you'd have any problems moving forward. In fact, they'll probably go out their way to ensure you are happy because this is a major screw up on their part.

You have to do what you think is best, but if it were me, I'd be livid over this. This is wrong on so many levels....Lying, manipulation, negligence, and even conspiracy. Additionally, I don't mean to put any pressure on you, but someone has to stand up to this guy on behalf of CPers....I have to believe that he's doing this type of thing on a regular basis. As my pharmacist said, they are not supposed to make decisions on what to prescribe or how to take the meds, but rather to fill the script and carry out a doctor's orders, manage potential drug conflicts, and answer questions patients have.

Best of luck to you with this. I know it's not easy.

Regards,

Ex

Last edited by Executor; 11-14-2009 at 07:36 AM.

 
Old 11-13-2009, 09:17 PM   #11
Newbie
(male)
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 8
poweraid HB User
Re: Pharmacy...again

All pharmacist do is look at chronic pain people as drug addicts imo. They have no clue what we go through or how many surgeries we have had and I cant stand them. Go to the top and demand some action

 
Old 11-14-2009, 06:55 AM   #12
Senior Veteran
(female)
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Australia
Posts: 520
Jema X HB User
Re: Pharmacy...again

It is totally true that pharmacist are pharmacist and not doctors. Pm's pharmacist could have spoken to the nurse at any time - Pm shouldn't have been involved at all.

I can't comment on you putting scripts in early Pm but I do it all the time - I try and get an appointment with my doctor about 4 days early just to be on the safe side and my pharmacy is in the same complex so I just drop in there. I must admit that I was questioned by the pharmacist about it once (she was not one of the regulars - I always go when the 2 pharmacist I know and trust are working) and I just said that some days I can't drive and to take it up with my doc if there were any probs.

I totally understand that you're scared of them taking against you - unfortunately they do have some powers. I thought I'd tell you though that one of the pharmacists I now trust is a girl that I had a huge problem with - my oxycodone dose was yelled from the pharmacy assistant to the pharmacist and she yelled back across the pharmacy. I was livid. By the time I'd finished the pharacist was in tears (she's a really nice girl that actually takes things very seriously) and the pharmacy assistant was on her way out. She apologised to me and explained that she just made a massive, stupid mistake and has since treated me brilliantly.

I hope things work out,

J.

 
Closed Thread

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Board Replies Last Post
Pharmacy issue - ideas needed... tiggertoo2174 Pain Management 10 09-12-2010 01:52 PM
Interesting Conversation w/ pharmacy about generic brand costs & some questions Confused089 Pain Management 20 08-23-2008 07:25 PM
Pharmacy Police...page one out of 20, Im sure. IZZY'SMOM Pain Management 5 02-17-2008 05:02 AM
Pharmacy problems and experiences RetiredDirector Pain Management 16 01-20-2008 09:55 PM
Feel forced to use one pharmacy! madhatter Pain Management 8 07-22-2004 11:43 AM




Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off




Join Our Newsletter

Stay healthy through tips curated by our health experts.

Whoops,

There was a problem adding your email Try again

Thank You

Your email has been added








TOP THANKED CONTRIBUTORS



tortoisegirl (159), gmak (155), Shoreline (149), BB07 (91), backhurtz (84), katlin09 (69), Ilovemycutedog (53), galalena (50), jonnstar (35), Isotope (34)

Site Wide Totals

teteri66 (1180), MSJayhawk (1006), Apollo123 (906), Titchou (851), janewhite1 (823), Gabriel (759), ladybud (755), midwest1 (669), sammy64 (668), BlueSkies14 (607)



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 04:20 AM.



Site owned and operated by HealthBoards.comô
Terms of Use © 1998-2014 HealthBoards.comô All rights reserved.
Do not copy or redistribute in any form!