It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pain Management Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-07-2009, 01:20 AM   #1
(male)

kevin702 HB User
taking Lortab, neurontin, and ibuprofen at the same time

Hi all,

In the past, I was prescribed all three of these meds to take every day: lortab, neurontin, and ibuprofen. I thought that this was a LOT of pills to be taking at once. I did question the doctor about this and they said it was fine. The doses were two Lortab every 6 hours with ibuprofen 800mg at the same time. I was also told to take Neurontin 100mg 4 times per day and that was also taken at the same time as the other two drugs.

Now I am reading that taking something with a lot of acetaminophoen (Lortab) along with a high dose of ibuprofen can be dangerous. And then adding the Neurontin on top of it decreases the effectiveness of Lortab. But the Neurontin effects, both the good stuff for relieving pain and the bad side effects, would also increase when taking this combination. There were differing opinions everywhere that I searched online.

After being on this combination of meds for over a month without any significant decrease in pain, I told the doctor but they kept me on it and wanted to increase the dosage of Neurontin. But I started reading more about how taking these doses of all 3 at the same time could be harmful.

I am really concerned that this doctor put my well-being at risk. I am hoping someone out there can provide their experience of taking all 3. Or taking Lortab with Neurontin. Can anyone share some info? And if it is allowed, can you post links to some credible web sites or info stating that this drug combination can be harmful??

I do not trust this doctor any longer (I had problems from the beginning because they spent very little time with me in the exam room and just wanted to throw pills at me) and have switched to a different pain management person. We are going to do narcotic pain relief only (no Neurontin) and focus on ways to get better via physical therapy and other methods that will eventually lead to no pills at all (hopefully).

Thanks.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-07-2009, 07:57 AM   #2
(female)

nchantng HB User
Re: taking Lortab, neurontin, and ibuprofen at the same time

Hi Kevin
You are wise to think of how any drug containing acetaminophen may affect your liver, as there is definately a limit as to how much is safe, especially when taken long term.

Neurontin/Gabapentin is NOT metabolized by the liver, instead it is eliminatd through the kidneys. As such, the combo of Lortab (or another narcotic that contains acetaminophen) does not put additional stress on the liver. It is precisely because it is not metabolized by the liver and excreted by the kidneys) that it must be taken 3-4 times daily as it does not stay in your system much longer than six hours. The combo of neurontin/gaba and a narcotic is often very helpful for nerve pain, as narcotics alone rarely address the whole situation. From that perspective, your Doctor is correct. However, if you do not feel confident then finding a new Doctor would benefit you. In my opinion, the relationship and level of trust is the most important thing.

Hoping you have a pain free day,

Heather

Old 12-07-2009, 08:33 PM   #3
Facilitator
(female)

SpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB User

You can also ask your pharmacist. I am not aware of any bad interaction when taking tylenol (acetominophen) based products with ibuprofen as they are very different

Old 12-08-2009, 04:29 AM   #4
(male)

kevin702 HB User

Hello

I did talk to the pharmacist and they were surprised that the doctor had prescribed both medications. If I am taking both, I was told it is best to take them apart. My doctor said that I should take them together. And then other doctors or nurses have said that I can take them together, or apart, and so forth. I guess they can't make up their minds. I guess all of these medical professionals really don't know.

At this point I would trust a pharmacist since that's what they specialize in. But the pharmacists usually don't question the doctor's orders unless I bring it up and then they offer advice, such as not taking the two together at such high doses. It was two Lortab which would be 1000mg of acetaminophen and then 800mg of ibuprofen at the same time.

I am going to stick with one medication and not start mixing this all together. I think I had a doctor that just wanted to throw pills at me and get me out of there. I have found someone else that will stay with one medication and go with PT instead.

Also I am hoping someone that takes Neurontin along with an opiate can confirm what I have read online. My doctor said there was no interaction but I have seen elsewhere online that narcotic medication can be affected by Neurontin in the sense that it makes the med (Lortab, in my case) not work as well. And it makes Neurontin effects higher (the good and bad effects). Again I will go with what the pharmacist said (they confirmed that the two meds do affect each other, but not in a way that would affect my physical health).

Old 12-08-2009, 06:14 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

nochange HB Usernochange HB Usernochange HB Usernochange HB Usernochange HB Usernochange HB Usernochange HB Usernochange HB Usernochange HB Usernochange HB Usernochange HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by nchantng View Post
The combo of neurontin/gaba and a narcotic is often very helpful for nerve pain, as narcotics alone rarely address the whole situation. However, if you do not feel confident then finding a new Doctor would benefit you. In my opinion, the relationship and level of trust is the most important thing.

Heather
Kevin, why are you taking ibuprofen?. This med can cause serious stomach bleeding. I would stop it. You anyway take narcotic pain meds so why bother with ibuprofen?.

Now to your question. I take neurontin(gabapentin)800mg a day, plus Oxycontin and percocet. I take the neurontin at night time. I don't take it together with the oxy or the percocet. I really try to leave 2 hours gap.

I would NOT trust everything I read on the net.

All the best for you.

Last edited by nochange; 12-08-2009 at 06:30 AM.

Old 12-08-2009, 08:53 AM   #6
(male)

kevin702 HB User

I was taking ibuprofen because that is what the doctor told me to do. They prescribed these meds/doses:

Ibuprofen 800mg
Lortab 7.5/500
Gabapentin 100mg

They told me to take all at the same time every day 3x/day except for the gabapentin which I took one additional time every day.

I know it causes stomach bleeding if taken excessively and I don't know why the doctor had me on both ibuprofen AND something with Tylenol in it. I hadn't been taking the ibuprofen for very long, so the stomach bleeding problem wouldn't have happened (yet).

But having me on ibuprofen with the Lortab is what made no sense to me. That is why I stopped taking the ibuprofen especially after the pharmacist was basically asking me why the doctor told me to take these meds at the same time. I switched doctors and am taking just percocet 10s now. The new doctor also did not understand why the other one had me on ibuprofen. It made no sense to me after hearing these other opinions which is why I am asking here if someone else was on the same combination.

I also don't trust everything online but when a doctor starts throwing pills at me I have to question what they are doing. Just looking for some other stuff on here to see if anyone else has had the same experience.

It is frustrating but I hope that this is going to work out. The former doctor seemed like they just wanted to get patients in and out as fast as possible. The new one actually has a plan of what to do with meds and PT so we'll see.

Old 12-10-2009, 02:08 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

nochange HB Usernochange HB Usernochange HB Usernochange HB Usernochange HB Usernochange HB Usernochange HB Usernochange HB Usernochange HB Usernochange HB Usernochange HB User

Great news. I'm also taking percocet 10. How many percocet 10 are you taking a day?.

It's good you've found a new doctor that you trust him. You have to be really careful who is your doctor. Sometimes when they come from overseas they are not good cause they have issues concerning pain killers.

Old 12-12-2009, 05:06 PM   #8
(male)

kevin702 HB User

It depends on what i am doing during the day. Usually I will wake up and see how things go in the morning before taking anything. I know that it is best to stay ahead of the pain but it can be different day to day. I know pretty quickly if it is bad or if I can hold off on taking something until later in the day.

It also depends on what i am doing that day. I can't do much without being in a lot of pain so if I need to have someone take me to the grocery store or if I am going to a friend's house (still gotta have a social life, right?), I will take one about an hour before leaving the house

Problem is that I have been on these pills (various forms of hydrocodone and oxycodone) long enough that they no longer work as well as they did several months ago. But I expected to build a tolerance. Some days I will not take anything and just try to deal with it by having little to no activity just at home. And then in a few days when I need to go to work or whatever, I can take 1 before leaving and maybe a few throughout the day. Seems to work better for me than taking the pills all the time because it helps avoid building up a tolerance.

Closed Thread