It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pain Management Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-09-2009, 10:57 AM   #1
(male)

steelersfan1 HB User
NuCynta Addiction (Worried).

Hello,
I was addicted to dillaudid from 2000 to 2003 (took 15, 4mg tabs per day - much more than I should have). Went on suboxone and went off of everything last year. Well I had a neurostimulator implant for my upper cervical area in August of this year and started taking a new pain killer called NuCynta - it is dual acting, affecting both opiod and neupephenrine (sp?). I take 3, 100mg tabs per day. I am still taking it and shouldn't be but can't seem to stop. I am deathly afraid of withdrawls and already am being treated for depression and know that this will get worse if I go off.

I'm very scared. I am posting in here because I also have chronic pain. Hope that doesn't offend anyone.

Has anyone taken this drug for extended periods of time?

Old 12-09-2009, 01:34 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

ozzybug HB Userozzybug HB Userozzybug HB Userozzybug HB User
Re: NuCynta Addiction (Worried).

Hey there-
I'm sorry to hear about your situation. I don't know how much I can help, but my thoughts are that it's always best to try and have your doctor help you taper slowly off of any medication. By having the doctor set up a slow taper, it may help decrease/avoid any really bad withdrawl symptoms.

My cousin tapered successfully off of a couple potent pain medications with the help of her doctor and she did quite well. She was suprised how good she felt, and only ever really felt just a bit jittery for a couple days with each step down in her taper.

Is this a possibility for you? Do think it would help having your doctor help taper you down?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-09-2009, 07:35 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(male)

brianpain33 HB Userbrianpain33 HB User

First of all I doubt that anyone has taken this drug for an extended period of time because it was just approved and allowed to be sold this year (2009). Is there a reason that you started taking it in the first place? Was your pain increasing and do you still have a need for pain medication?

If you absolutely can not take pain medication because you are an opiate addict, then you must be completely up front with your doctor. You can get back on the Suboxone which helps some pain in certain people. I would also encourage you to post over on the Addiction & Recovery board. There are alot of kind people over there too. I have chronic pain & I am also a recovering addict but my drug of choice was NOT a pain medication. Therefore I am able to take pain medications without it setting off my addiction. However, it sounds like you are an opiate addict and any opiate/opiod medication will set off your addiction. It is nothing to be ashamed about and it's a great thing that you realize that you have a problem and that you can not use the medication as prescribed.

You will need a doctor to get you back on the Suboxone and I would also suggest seeing a counselor at a drug treatment facility for an assessment or searching for a 12 step meeting in your area such as Narcotics Anonymous. You will probably be amazed at the number of people that have been in your exact same situation. It sounds pretty obvious that you can not control your "using" so I really encourage you to get some help or at least attend an NA meeting before things get any worse. If you have any other questions for me, feel free to ask.

brian

p.s. If you contact a drug treatment facility, then you might either be able to go inpatient (and they help you through the withdrawals) or go through an IOP(intensive outpatient program) where you learn the reasons why you like taking and abusing the pain medication and where the need to escape is coming from. Think of them as intensive drug counseling sessions with a small group of people going through very similar things as you. If you need any other help let me know

Last edited by brianpain33; 12-09-2009 at 07:39 PM.

Old 12-10-2009, 05:56 AM   #4
(male)

steelersfan1 HB User

Thanks for the advice.

I won't can't go back onto suboxone, at least not yet. That was the worst to get off of (due to it's long half life in part).

I am going to work with my Doctor to help me ween off. I am not abusing it at this point also. I am seeing my pscy today and seeing if he will switch me to Cymbalta, which as well as Serotonin raises your level of neorphenrine (sp?), an neurtransmitter that helps with pain. NuCynta also does this.

Also will have the go ahead from my doctor who did my surgery that I can start jogging again next week (have been walking two miles every day for last few weeks).

I have a plan. Just need to make it work. I weened myself off of suboxone I can do the same with this drug. Finally, withdrawel is supposed to be less w/ this drug. Not sure I believe that.

I do notice that I have not built up a tolerence to it, which is kinda strange.

Anway, thanks for the advice. Appreciate it.

Old 12-10-2009, 12:11 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(male)

brianpain33 HB Userbrianpain33 HB User

I am guessing the withdrawal is more difficult than just a regular pain medication like Vicodin or Percocet. It is more similar to Ultram but stronger. I have been on Ultram in the past and it was one of the most difficult drugs to stop taking because it is a mild opiod and it has anti-depressant qualities.

So my educated guess is that Nucynta will be the same way because it has anti-depressant qualities. If you have ever gone through sudden withdrawal from an anti-depressant, especially ones that effect serotonin & norepinepherine, you know what I'm talking about. It is like going through withdrawal from a pain medication & antidepressant at the same time which is why so many people find it difficult to get off something that effects the neurotransmitters and is an opiate/opiod. I HAD TO go on an anti-depressant to get off the Ultram. If you are going on the Cymbalta then you will probably have a lot easier time going off the Nucynta.

PLEASE be very careful mixing Cymbalta & Nucynta because it can create what is called SEROTONIN SYNDROME which is very serious and can cause death. It happens when there is a build up of too much serotonin. I experienced this while on Ultram & Prozac so please be careful and follow the doctor's instructions carefully and try to use only 1 pharmacy so they are able to warn you about any drug interactions and what to possibly expect.

brian

Old 12-11-2009, 09:29 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(male)

mel486 HB User

That's good information about Cymbalta and Nucynta. I took Nucynta a few months ago and was only on it a few weeks before I told the PM that it just didn't seem to work, plus it gave me headaches and made me much drowsier than the Oxycodone. I wasn't talking the Cymbalta at the time, but I do take it every once in a while. I'm pretty sure that both prescriptions were through the same pharmacy though, so I wonder if they just didn't know about the drug interactions then. I was the first person to have the drug filled and I even had to wait 2 weeks before it came in. I know now - Thanks!!

Old 01-15-2011, 06:03 PM   #7
(male)

BigChill HB User

Dear STEELERSfan, thank you for your post. I was also one of the new Nucynta test rats, I have had 8 surgeries in 5 years and I have a super high tolerance to opioids I have been on all the long acting and short drugs. I had gotten the best Chronic pain control from Oxycodone in combination with Cymbalta which hits the same anti depression receptor as Nucynta. I made the conversion from 60mg of oxycodone 4 times a day to 200mg of Nucynta 4 times a day, with 100% cross over I was very happy. It to date was the best pain medication I have used. I have to taper very slowly due to the fact that my blood pressure and heart responds in a ways that have ended me up in ICU on two occasions (it took the second time for my Dr and I to make the connection). After two near death experiences from withdrawals , and what I know about my withdrawals from Nucynta(the hardest of any) my suggestion it to work with your Dr and a Psychiatrist and taper off this one super-super slow due to its dual actions. I can see why people get addicted mentally to these meds but I cannot see how those who enjoy narcotics for recreation would choose NUCYNTA, I liked it because I did not feel high at all. There is much forgotten professional called a compounding pharmacist who I think are way under used and it saddens me to read the posts on here of those who taper in a rational fashion only to jump cold turkey(PUNISHEMNT) from the smallest "commercially" available dose, I was told to do this twice and it almost killed me. A compounder can mix things to the Nano-gram. I was successful @ going from 800mg a day dropping 100mg a week to 400mg a day then using a compounded solution dropping it by 12.5mg then by 5mg using my Heart rate and Blood pressure as my guide. I had 2 days of flu like symptoms and that was it. The compounding added 200$'s to the already expensive drug but it was money well spent. This was my last surgery needed and after 5 years of chronic pain I am 100% pain free.

I wish you the very best!

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelersfan1 View Post
Hello,
I was addicted to dillaudid from 2000 to 2003 (took 15, 4mg tabs per day - much more than I should have). Went on suboxone and went off of everything last year. Well I had a neurostimulator implant for my upper cervical area in August of this year and started taking a new pain killer called NuCynta - it is dual acting, affecting both opiod and neupephenrine (sp?). I take 3, 100mg tabs per day. I am still taking it and shouldn't be but can't seem to stop. I am deathly afraid of withdrawls and already am being treated for depression and know that this will get worse if I go off.

I'm very scared. I am posting in here because I also have chronic pain. Hope that doesn't offend anyone.

Has anyone taken this drug for extended periods of time?

Closed Thread