It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pain Management Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-18-2009, 06:47 AM   #1
(male)

steelersfan1 HB User
Nucynta

Is anyone on this and how hard is it to get off of?

I have a legitimate pain issue (nerve simulator implant done in October), but also have problems with self medication (I guess that is a euphemism for 'addict'). Starting to worry a bit.

I just swiched antidepressents. Went from Prozac to Cymbalta. So, the Cymbalta should aleviate the Neoprenephine stopage (since Nucynta acts on this also). Just really worried about this.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

PS: My pain doctor knows of my past addiction problems.

Dave

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-18-2009, 11:58 AM   #2
(male)

steelersfan1 HB User
Re: Nucynta

Reading some of the threads on this board, I realize that many of you probabaly look down on me for overusing my meds. I apologize if you are offended by my post.

Having a chronic pain AND addiction problem sucks. There is a gray area between chronic pain and addiction, I believe. After taking opiates for years, how can you not feel anxiety when your opiate starts to wear off and knowing that taking the opiate will releave the anxiety you must have strong willpower to resist. I guess I just don't.

I think underlying my addiction problems is depression which I was (and still am) being treated for before my chornic pain issues.

Anway, sorry if I offended you.

Dave

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-18-2009, 12:22 PM   #3
(female)

Nicole74 HB UserNicole74 HB User

No matter if you were an addict or not, you should be able to recieve the proper treatment for pain.

From what I've heard, the Nucynta is a pretty new medication and from my understanding it is equivalent to Vicoden or Norco and you will need to taper off to minimize the withdrawls. If you are taking more then prescribed due to the pain, you need to tell your doctor that your pain is not being managed. Have you tried the fentanyl patch? It's very good for pain and it is hard to abuse.

I hope all works out for you. Good luck.

Old 12-18-2009, 07:07 PM   #4
(female)

CaliGirl HB UserCaliGirl HB UserCaliGirl HB UserCaliGirl HB UserCaliGirl HB User

I am on Nucynta as well. Can't tell you anything about withdrawal because I have not yet tried to get off. However, I do have one comment about your use of both Cymbalta and Nucynta. Nucynta acts as Cymbalta does by inhibiting re-uptake of nonepinepherine (sp ??). Taking both together seems a bit strange to me and you may need to watch out for what the literature describes as a potentially life-threatening Serotonin Syndrome. This comes about by using Nucynta along with an SSRI, such as Prozac or an SNRI, such as Cymbalta. If you PM doctor is aware that you are on both of these meds or if he/she prescribed both, you probably have nothing to be concerned about.

Old 01-11-2011, 01:35 PM   #5
(male)

Kahuna54 HB User

I just under went the Neurostimulator surgery in Oct 2010 as well for chronic low back pain. It was my 6th surgery on my back since 1991. I am presently detoxing off Ultram, whatan ordeal. The doctor is now giving my Nucynta, which I find to be rather ineefective with the pain. I have no advice to give but was wondering how you get along with your stimulator? Hang in there, Rick

Old 01-11-2011, 03:27 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(male)

Isotope HB UserIsotope HB UserIsotope HB UserIsotope HB UserIsotope HB UserIsotope HB UserIsotope HB UserIsotope HB UserIsotope HB UserIsotope HB User

Dave-

No offense taken. I think we all walk a fine line sometimes. I was just posting some of the benefits of adding Hydroxyzine and Zofran to my Opana. Some of these may work for you also.

_______________>> Hydroxyzine
5-HT1 Antagonist

Hydroxyzine is used primarily as an antihistamine for the treatment of itching, allergies, hyperalgesia, motion sickness-induced nausea, and insomnia, as well as notably for the treatment of mild anxiety. Even though it is an effective sedative, hypnotic, analgesic, and tranquilizer, it shares almost none of the abuse, dependence, addiction, and toxicity potential of other drugs used for the same range of therapeutic reasons.

Hydroxyzine is used with opioid analgesics to increase the pain-killing ability of a given dose of opioid, reduce the quantity needed to stop a given level of pain, and/or preempt some side effects of opiates, like itching, nausea, and vomiting.

Hydroxyzine was found to have no adverse effects on memory in relation to lorazepam, which caused several deficiencies in the capacity of memory storage.

In a comparative study with lorazepam on memory effects, patients who had taken Hydroxyzine experienced sedative effects similar to drowsiness, but recalled that they felt capable, attentive and able to continue with a memory test under these conditions. Conversely, those under the effects of lorazepam felt unable to continue due to the fact they felt out of control due to its effects.

_______________>> Zofran (Ondansetron)
5HT3 Antagonist

Ondansetron is a 5-HT3 receptor antagonist used primarily to treat and prevent chemotherapy-induced nausea and vomiting.

Ondansetron may have value in the treatment of schizophrenia and Obsessive Compulsive Disorder.

A patent for the use of Ondansetron in the treatment of Sleep Apnea has been filed.

Ondansetron has been studied as a possible treatment for psychosis resulting from advanced Parkinson's disease.

Ondansetron lowers the cravings for alcohol, especially in early-onset alcoholics.

Ondansetron has been found to be useful and effective for treating withdrawal symptoms of Opioid addictions.

Ondansetron blocks the 5-HT3 receptor in the enteric nervous system, and thereby reduces colonic contractions, sensory perception, and hyper-motility found in Inflammatory Bowel Syndromes.

~

Last edited by Isotope; 01-11-2011 at 03:31 PM.

Old 01-11-2011, 05:27 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

Pegala HB UserPegala HB UserPegala HB UserPegala HB UserPegala HB UserPegala HB UserPegala HB User

Steve,
Please don't feel that you've offended us. You certainly have not offended me. None of us are perfect.
No matter what else is going on/or has gone on in your life, you deserve pain relief. Keep moving forward with your head held high, and get the help that you need.
I often say, that we put a man on the moon, so we must be able to get relief for my pain.
Please keep us posted on how you're doing.
Peggy

The Following User Says Thank You to Pegala For This Useful Post:
macypeep (09-02-2012)
Closed Thread