It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pain Management Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-30-2009, 06:56 PM   #1
Inactive
(female)

zuzu23 HB User
Very odd adverse side effect of new medicine????HELP PLS

I posted this on another board, where I did get some insight from some nice members until the last reply, a rude lady said I must be lying about this. Ironically, it got me thinking about the new Dilaudid I started on on the 17th, and I wonder if it's listed as a side effect on the sheet, since I threw mine out by accident, or if anyone here had this happen to them, or have a best guess. Here's the post:

Woke up yesterday, and both my feet are massive! I've never had swelling before, not even when I was pregnant. What could this be from, and is it serious?

Keep in mind, as you all know, that once my pm opens again, I will be switched off of the dilaudid due to ALL the adverse reactions I've had. Also, remember I don't have access to a gp anywhere, and er's here will only treat what THEY say is life-threatening, plus I still can't stay awake for more than an hour or two, so I'm exhausted.

I have had the swelling now for probably 5 days or so?

Last edited by zuzu23; 12-30-2009 at 06:58 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-31-2009, 01:15 AM   #2
Veteran
(male)

Leo123 HB UserLeo123 HB User
Re: Very odd adverse side effect of new medicine????HELP PLS

Zuzu,

I'm not so sure the swelling in your feet is a side effect from the Dilaudid.

Since you started on the 17th and the swelling only came on 8 days into it, I think the swelling maybe related to something else.

I just don't see how the Dilaudid can cause the swelling unless you developed an allergic reaction of some kind, but then again if that is the case I think the swelling would have come on right away if you are allergic. Although I guess its possible to develop a reaction after 8 days as well.

In addition if it was an allergic reaction I would expect the swelling to spread and get worse. But the fact that it has remained just in your feet is another sign.

Again I personally don't believe its the Dilaudid but of course it could be.

Is there anyway you could stop taking it for one day or so and supplement it with something else and see if the swelling goes down or actually should do this with your doctors support and supervision and that way you can know for sure if you are allergic or not.

Goodluck and keep us posted on what going on!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-31-2009, 03:19 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

AnnD HB UserAnnD HB User

I can't believe you still haven't gone to your ER ...let them decide if they will see you or not. I'm not understanding why you think it is your medication that is causing this...side effects of a drug don't just make your feet swell...I am guessing you have another medical issue...perhaps your heart/lungs are causing this...simply you can end up dead or permanently damaged. What on earth could we possibly tell you to do other than go to your ER...I have been to your ER's and they operate just as in the states well except for the fact that they won't treat US citizens without up front cash paid in full....you have to take the time to go and to wait probably a few hours and since you are not willing to go I can only guess your feet aren't so bad?

Old 12-31-2009, 04:07 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

Fiona_Jo HB UserFiona_Jo HB UserFiona_Jo HB UserFiona_Jo HB UserFiona_Jo HB UserFiona_Jo HB User

If you can't go to ER for this, is there any type of "urgent care" facilities available for people that may not having "life threatening" situations, but health concerns that demand attention from a Doctor? It does seem important that someone sees you - either your GP, PM doctor or a Doctor in a urgent care scenario. It just seems like your symptoms are worsening and this just shouldn't continue to go on.

I'm very sorry for what you're going through. Please keep us posted on how you're doing.

~ Fiona Jo

Old 12-31-2009, 04:29 AM   #5
(female)

silentwarrior HB User

Both feet? Probably not due to blood clots but only a Doctor who examines you could truly rule that out.

Does each foot have a pulse? Are they red and warm? Cold?

Is there any pitting edema going on? (Push a thumb into a fleshy part of foot...does it leave a dent?)

Any swelling in calves? knee? groin?

Anything hormonal going on? Last date of period? any chance of pregnancy or ovulation?

You have a blood disorder, has this ever been mentioned as a symptom of that disorder?

Elevation is not helping?

How is urine out put? You say you are dehydrated....have you been drinking fluids and keeping them in? If not.....why?

Any flank pains (sign of kidney issues)?

I am not try be harsh here or "mean" but for many years I did suffer massive swelling of feet and legs off and on....I would literally gain between 20-35 pounds in a FEW DAYS. My slender feet suddenly could not fit ANY SIZE shoe or sock. It was one of the most painful things I have ever had to goes through.

I was in the Doc office, Urgent Care, Er...you names it til they did FINALLY figures it out. I had a syndome call Conns syndrome which affects the adrenals and throws electrolytes and fluid way out of wack.

If yu feet are STILL so swollen and painful please go to seek help. Due to fact it could be kidney/adrenal, HEART, or even off chance it blood clot makes it an EMERGENCY.

And yes I get the different health care system stuff since I come fra Norway origionally.

I do not feel as if anyone has been mean but rather trying to make it clear that we are not Doctors here and its too many possibilities for any of us to truly help.

FYI....lay off the diurectics esp. if you dehydrated as it will mess with your potassium levels and that can turn into a true blue life threatening emergency extremely quickly.

Peace,

SW

Old 12-31-2009, 07:29 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

tiggertoo2174 HB Usertiggertoo2174 HB Usertiggertoo2174 HB Usertiggertoo2174 HB User

Are you by chance also taking neurontin (gabapentin) or lyrica? Both of those drugs DO have swelling of the hands and/or feet as a side effect.

I took a quick look at one of the popular drug information sites and do not see this as a known side effect if dilauded. Although it is possible to develop an allergy to something even after years of use or exposure it's not common for people who do not already have significant allergies.

I think that you should go to the ER or an urgent care facility. Swelling of the feet needs to be checked out and could be an indication of a serious problem.

Tigg.

Old 01-01-2010, 09:31 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

feelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB User

just an FYI ann but as tigger mentioned above, there ARE most definitely certain meds out there that very easily CAN create some pretty nasty swelling of the feet and the hands and alot of internal organs too and with these types, this really is not an actual allergic type of reaction but a real side effect that can occur depending upon an individuals body physiology. it just IS a real true side effect with certain meds.

but with dilaudid zuzu, like the others have stated here, this really does NOT 'sound' like a reaction from an actual narcotic type of med but perhaps something else you are currently taking? its just dilaudid is a pretty cut and dry type of drug that does not have the properties like the anti siezure meds do,among others and the effects they do? have any other meds you are on actually changed as far as dosages or even from one generic drug manufacturer to another even? certain fillers used with certain meds CAN cause some problems with certain patients.

just what meds are you currently taking right now? any and all of them and any possible suppliments or herbals too?

just one other possible you really just NEED to check out with your pharmacy? and i would also ask THEM about the swelling too while you have them on the phone? just make darn certain that they did not make some type of actual mistake and in reality ended up giving you something that was NOT even actual dilaudid? this unfortuently DOES happen with pharmacies time to time espescially when they are really really busy? anytime there is humans involved with anything, there is always that normal risk of mistakes being made like this. just DO call your pharmacy to double check what that pill looks like so you at least KNOW you actually even got the right med in the first place. its just a precaution since this is such a crazy type of symptom or side effect from something?

but either way you really DO NEED to be evaluated and some bloodwork done to just see if this actual bilateral foot edema is stemming from an actual medical problem. the kidneys and alot of other crucial organs can create alot of fluid in the legs when things are just not running right there. certain types of testing will usually find the culprit. but you just really do NEED this identified so it can be appropriately treated, whatever the actual casue is. and the sooner the better zuzu. this just does not sound at all 'normal'.

do you have ANY pertinent type of medical history or actual medical problems that you just know about already? i would just get yourself in to see the good folks at your local ER right now, today just to get that ball rolling towardfs finding out why this is even occuring? it could be an actual medical issue or something else, but either way, it DOES need immediate attention/evaluation at this point since it has been an ongoing issue. you just really have to find out why this is even happening at all zuzu. please go get this checked out today? i would NOT wait any longer than you already have, seriously. good luck with this hon, and PLEASE do keep us posted. marcia

Closed Thread