It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pain Management Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-12-2010, 08:10 PM   #1
(female)

VickVictoria HB User
Angry Pain Management Clinic Help Me Please

I have a left club foot and benign tumor in my left knee. My club foot was corrected with surgery when I was an infant. For many years I lived a fantastic life! Club feet often try to go back their original state of club. This is happening to me and it is very painful. My quality of life has suffered. I started going to Pain Management (Anyone Know of Good Doctors in the Virginia Beach, VA Area). So, far at Pain Management I feel judged. I went into this being told that they would work me until we found the "magic" dose and medication that could give me back some of my former life. Initially they prescribed hydrocodone. Hydrocodone is what my ortho dr and pcp had been given me for pain. I was not happy about what the pain management dr. gave me. I do not want to make them mad at me. I was getting 30 hydrodone for 30 days. That was not enough to help with the pain. ALL I CAN DO IS LAY IN BED ALL DAY WITH MY LEFT CLUB FOOT ON A PILLOW! I finished the 30 hydrocodone within my thirty days. I went back to the pain management clinic and started crying because they made me feel so bad. They wrote me two prescriptions to fill on 1/20. I am supposed to go OVER A WEEK IN PAIN BECAUSE I TOOK 30 HYDROCODONE IN 30 DAYS. IT REALLY SEEMS RIDICULOUS TO ME! Has anyone else had this problem. Also, do you think I should go back to the Pain Management Doctor this week and tell him that I need something other than hydrocodone for the next thirty days of treatment. This time I was prescribed hydrocodone for break through pain and oxycodone for long term pain. I do not feel as my Pain Management doctor understands the amount and sever pain I am in. I do not have a life because I can not walk. How does everyone communicate successfully with their doctors. PLEASE HELP ME!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-12-2010, 08:24 PM   #2
Veteran
(female)

Frosty6 HB User
Re: Pain Management Clinic Help Me Please

There are many pain management doctors. That dose really isn't much at all and the treatment you are receiving does not seem desirable at all. I would talk to your primary care doctor to see if they can refer you to another one or recommend one the doc himself would use. Hopefully someone here lives in your area and will be able to give you a good name. Because of the pain you live in it is important to have a good relationship with your PM doc and trust in your heart they are listening to you and doing what is best for you. They don't normally prescribe large doses or quantaties initially but I have never heard of such a low dose. What were you on before?

I hope you find what works for you. As many of us can attest, it is not a fast process and to be completely pain free for many of us is but a dream. But to be able to have some quality of life is a good aim to start for.

Good luck!
Frosty

Old 01-12-2010, 08:39 PM   #3
(female)

VickVictoria HB User

Before I started going to the Pain Management Clinic, my PCP prescribed me 60 hydrocodone for a month. However, if I ran out my PCP would always call some more in. 60 could be 15 days, and, my PCP understood that.

At the Pain Management Clinic they said that because I took my medication I am the one that will suffer. They said that they could not prescribe me anything else until 1/20 because that is the 30 day cycle.

I feel like I am being punished because the Pain Management Clinic did not meet my needs and give me enough pain med to ease the pain, to be able to get out of bad.

Now I do have a prescription for 90 hydrocodone that can be filled on 1/20. I am wondering if I should take it back to the clinic and demand that it is raised to something stronger or to 150 pills. I would like something other than hydrocodone because that is what my PCP was giving me. My ortho believes that I should be on morphine for pain and percocet for break through pain.

If hydrocodone worked I would not have sought out the pain management clinic. However, they are giving me a pill that does not help. I cannot get out of bed when taking hydrocodone. I am just not in pure agony.

Old 01-13-2010, 03:56 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

Pegala HB UserPegala HB UserPegala HB UserPegala HB UserPegala HB UserPegala HB UserPegala HB User

Dear Vick,
I've given you some helpful hints on the other threads that you put out today. Please read those. The one tip I'll give you here is to NOT, under any circumstances call the pain clinic and demand anything. If you do this they could cut you off and put your name out there as drug seeking, and then it will be very difficult to get any relief.
Pain management takes time. The doctors have to build up trust with you before they give you any heavy hitting meds. Then again, heavy hitting meds might not be what you need. There are all sorts of treatments out there. Pain management doctors have lots of tricks up there sleeves that work including, shots of all sort, pain blocks and on and on.
I've given you tips in one of your other threads to help you manage the pain until the 20th. Some of these are, meditation, hot tea, a good book, calming music, a hot bath, ice, your favorite snack, laughter with your child or husband.
Once you sign that pain contract you're locked in, and for good reason. It looks to me like you'll have to make it through the next 7 days with alternate pain management.
Keep us posted, vent to us, but don't cut your nose off to spite your face, by calling the pain doctors and demanding more meds.
Peggy

Old 01-13-2010, 06:02 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

backhurtz HB Userbackhurtz HB Userbackhurtz HB Userbackhurtz HB Userbackhurtz HB Userbackhurtz HB Userbackhurtz HB Userbackhurtz HB Userbackhurtz HB Userbackhurtz HB Userbackhurtz HB User

Vick,
I don't know how old you are but you really need to understand that in pain management, you play by their rules. Demanding more or different pain medications are only going to serve to get you blacklisted and labeled drug seeking. If that happens, there isn't a pain management doctor who will be willing to see you, let alone prescribe you pain medications and neither will your primary care doctor.
It doesn't matter what kind of medications your primary care or your ortho doctor told you they feel you need to be on. If it did, they would prescribe them for you.
You need to understand, that what you think really doesn't matter much either. It is what the doctor feels is best for you, at this point in your treatment to give you.
I know that what I am saying sounds a bit harsh, and I don't mean it to be, but making demands and asking others what you could say to make him give you more meds isn't going to help you. You need to understand that it may take months before you get pain relief. You need to understand that pain management is not simply going into the door once and telling them that you want this medication in this quantity. It is a learning process and consists of many more treatment modalities than just pain medications.
You have to follow the doctors orders-- even if that means that the meds are only handling some of the pain. If you are suffering from chronic pain, that means that it is not going to ever all go away and pain free doesn't exist in our world. It is PAIN MANAGEMENT- we are given ways to manage the pain.
You were lucky, quite frankly that you weren't dismissed when you went in there and told them that you were out of meds already. Patients taking more than is prescribed gets patients dismissed from PM care- permanently.
I understand that you are in pain- but you aren't helping yourself at this point.
Back

Old 01-13-2010, 07:56 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

Pegala HB UserPegala HB UserPegala HB UserPegala HB UserPegala HB UserPegala HB UserPegala HB User

Dear Vick,
Listen to Back, she's making some really good points.
I've read several of your threads tonight and you repeatedly say that your orthopedic doctor who sent you to the pain doctor said that you need to be on a long acting med and a short acting med. You mentioned morphine a couple of time and appear frustrated that the pain management doctor didn't do that.
As Back pointed out you have to forget about what your Orthopedic doctor and PCP have told you about pain management. It's a new ball game now and the Pain Management doctor is not only running the team, he owns the league. You have to follow his rules. A doctor can refer you to another doctor, but he cannot tell the other doctor how to treat you or what meds to give you. You need to let that go, it's not going to happen.
I also agree that if someone on this board, or anywhere else, tells you something to say and you go into the pain doctor and sound scripted it's all over for you. The doctor wants to hear your symptoms and what's working for you and not working for you. If you sound scripted it could appear to be drug seeking.
I too am not trying to be harsh. I want you to see that there's a big picture for pain management and it looks like you're only focusing on a small piece, a certain number of pills.
In one of your other threads you talk about the folks in your pain management support groups all getting 150 long acting pills a month, and 150 short acting pills a month. These sound like fish stories to me. It's not something to aim for.
You also mention that you're an Olympic Athlete. I'm impressed. What sport do you play?
Keep us posted.
Peggy

Old 01-14-2010, 02:51 AM   #7
(female)

reallywant HB User

Pegala, I didn't think that you sounded harsh at all. You gave great advice.

Old 01-14-2010, 10:46 AM   #8
Inactive
(male)

Executor HB UserExecutor HB UserExecutor HB UserExecutor HB UserExecutor HB UserExecutor HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pegala View Post
In one of your other threads you talk about the folks in your pain management support groups all getting 150 long acting pills a month, and 150 short acting pills a month. These sound like fish stories to me. It's not something to aim for.
I would respectfully disagree that they are "fish stories." Many in PM are on very high levels of meds. For example, I have a friend who takes 700mg of Oxy per day. Not a misprint. I have another friend who takes MsContin 4 x day. I know someone else who takes 800mcg of Actiq, 5 x day. Another person I know is on the patch and changes it every day because they are a fast metabolizer. These type of regimens are much more common place than many think. While they are clearly high levels, they simply serve as examples that some need much higher levels than others.

I would agree, however, that one shouldn't aim for a particular regimen. I think the reason for the comment was to show the big difference that some perceive as being out there....Which is very natural for someone who is frustrated and feels that they are not taken seriously. It's pretty clear to me that the poster is in a lot of pain and is probably under medicated.

The biggest issue here that I see is one of miscommunication. I think the poster is learning about PM and is frustrated due to the lack of serious action. I would suggest to take a step backwards and give things time. If you feel that you are not being taken seriously, then I would back track to my PCP or Ortho and see if they can refer you to someone else. After all, they know your history better than anyone. It is quite common for many CPers to go through a couple PM Docs before they find one who works for them. PM Docs come in all shapes and sizes and there is great variability between them....Amazing really.

I would suggest the following thread where I discuss the differences in PM Docs.

"Chronic Pain- Frustration"

http://www.healthboards.com/boards/showthread.php?t=694491&highlight=Chroni c+pain+-Frustration

Post # 3 in the thread.

This has been a very frequent topic here on these boards. Some posters have great Docs who get very aggressive in their treatment, while others seem to really be suffering due to a lack of compassionate care. IMHO, I think a lot of it goes back to the fundamental training of the Doc as to the treatment plans they most often follow.

Best of luck to you.

Regards,

Ex

Last edited by Executor; 01-14-2010 at 10:51 AM.

Old 01-14-2010, 01:27 PM   #9
(female)

reallywant HB User

I didn't read the whole post before I responded. You're right Executor. They're not "fish stories." I have never heard that term before.

Many people are on high doses like you mentioned.

Old 01-14-2010, 04:48 PM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

Dear Fellow CPers,
I'm very sorry that I sounded flip when I used the term fish stories. I didn't mean to imply anything negative.
I was responding to a statement that Vick made in one of her other posts last night. She said that all of the people in her pain support group take 150 pills for long acting relief and 150 pills for break through pain. What I meant is that it sounded like Vick was exaggerating. I know that there are people who take mega doses of meds, I was one of them. It doesn't sound plausible that ALL of the people in her group take 300 pills each month.
In many of Vick's threads posts last night she stated that she wants to ask the PM doctor for 120 to 150 Vicoden, that that's what it will take to get pain relief. It sounded like one of the sources of that number was from ALL of the people in her group taking 300 pills.
I'm sorry if I offended anyone, it was not my intention. I did not mean to make light of anyones suffering or treatment plan. I apologize for using the term fish stories.
Peggy

Old 01-15-2010, 12:29 AM   #11
(female)

VickVictoria HB User

Dear Pegala,

I really do not know the amount of medication people get in the support group. Honestly, they could say anything. I do not see their prescriptions. So, you made a really good point about the amount of medication. I was an ice skater. I started at the age of three (oddly enough to build up leg muscle because of my club foot). I trained at The Olympic Training Center in Colorado Springs. I skated for many years.

This is off the subject, I do not feel in my heart that I am going to get kicked out of Pain Management because I ran out of 30 hydrocodone in 30 days. When I see the doctor in February, I am just going to be honest with him. I will start keeping a pain journal.

Someone asked why I cannot get out of bed. The pain is too great. My club foot swells really bad and it feels as though it is broken. I have lived my entire life with pain because of my knee and foot. Three years ago I woke up to the worst pain I have ever experienced in my life in my foot. And, I have given birth. I thought that I had broken my foot somehow. I woke my husband up and told him that something was wrong. It turned out that a tendon had fallen off the bone. A club foot is a defect. The surgery that corrects the foot is to make it look as normal as possible. It is still a club foot and is always going back to it's natural state of being deformed. The tendon falling off the bone started a horrible time in my life. My left leg, ankle, knee, shin are defective. Nothing is as it is supposed to be. Surgery would more than likely make me worst. I would have surgery if the tumor turned into cancer, to save my foot from being amputated, to reattach tendons / lengthen tendons.

Thank you all so much for your comments! I never thought that I would be where I am today. Everyone here seems so upbeat and positive! I am very sorry that anyone is on this board due to severe pain. But I am happy that I have found such a great group of people!

Old 07-04-2011, 04:24 AM   #12
(female)

stephk06 HB User

Pegala, I had my 1st PM visit last week. My neck has since gotten worse. I have 2nd appt next wed. Is it okay to call for a sooner visit, if I'm in incredibly amts of pain?? Or do I need to wait it out?? I'm guessing I can go to ER, and ask for injections, but not receive any meds. Please let me know. I usually ask my dad (he go to a clinic also), but he wants me to be seen and not heard when I go there

Old 07-05-2011, 04:35 AM   #13
Veteran
(female)

Madison104 HB UserMadison104 HB UserMadison104 HB User

I am sorry for your suffering Vicki...truly sorry.
I remember YEARS ago, I was being seen by an neurosurgeon doc for this horrific pain in my neck. Short story, he then allowed me ONE darvocet a day. I explained that this felt like a herniated disc and HE INSISTED that this WAS my fibro that JUST FELT like a neck issue. I cannot BEGIN TO TELL you HOW MUCH I SUFFERED!

I changed doctors. The end result was I not only ended up in the hospital when my neck literally froze up, but upon a cat scan while I was admitted they found a huge herniated disc. AND then when I went to a fantastic nerurosurgeon at the Dartmouth Hitchcock hospital, the surgeon said that when they got in there for the removal of the disc, and the implanting of the bone from the bone bank that my neck was even worse than the MRI showed. I had had both by then, cat scan and MRI.

I later wrote that doctor, that basically ignored ME one nasty letter. Bottom line? HE ALLOWED ME TO SUFFER and he never ordered any tests to actually see what was wrong.

SO anyway, when I hear these stories, it saddens me. I do think the folks here that go to the pain clinics know the ropes for sure. And I do believe they are steering you in the right direction regarding how the pain clinics CAN and often DO discharge the patient which I find so sad.

Still, you are suffering and you need a solution. I don't have too much to offer, only to tell you that I will pray you find an answer soon and that your pain and suffering will be relieved. I too am with chronic pain every day. I feel stable, but of course never pain free. That just never will happen. But we do need to be able to function.
Blessings.... and I wish you the best...
Madison

Last edited by Madison104; 07-05-2011 at 04:36 AM.

Closed Thread