It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pain Management Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-21-2010, 07:28 AM   #1
(female)

katlovesdogs HB User
tramadol question

After being on MS Contin for my LA and Percocet fro BT , my Doctor suggested we try Tramadol (NOT the Ultracet just Tramadol without the tylenol) when I suggested I was leary of the Tylenol intake over the past few years. I don't know if she was serious or just won't prescribe plain oxycodone. She said Tramadol is an "opiate like drug" that works on different receptors. I want to be receptive to any changes my PM doc suggests but I don't want to NOT have adequate pain control either. Is Tramadol a true opiate or opiate LIKE drug

Old 01-21-2010, 10:47 AM   #2
Veteran
(male)

Leo123 HB UserLeo123 HB User
Re: tramadol question

It's an opiate for sure.

I just don't know how you would handle a transition from MS contin and Percs to just tramadol. I'm pretty sure tramadol is alot weaker than MS Contin.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-21-2010, 11:18 AM   #3
(female)

katlovesdogs HB User

I didn't think it was equivalent to anything that I have been on lately and figured it wasn't up to par with my current meds at all. Thanks

Old 01-21-2010, 01:16 PM   #4
(male)

elykoj HB User
Question Re: tramadol question

i had my colon removed in april of 2008, had a temp ileostomy for 4 months and then rehooked me up with whats called a j-pouch. ever since then i have had alot of pain issues that were ongoing. at first docs said it was spasms,then it was narrowing of the small intestine, then it was irritable pouch syndrome(same as IBD), and now looking like adhesions from the surgery.well i tried LEVBID which is an antispasm medication and it seemed to help alot but my side affect was very bad blurry vision. doc told me to cut strength in half and when i did it was not effective at all.the only thing that worked to relieve pain was Percocet. My gastro doc at the Cleveland Clinic told me he could no longer prescribe pain narcotics for it was a new rule there. so i finally went to see a PM doctor and he prescribed me NUCYNTA. VERY EXPENSIVE . i pay $65.00 per month and i take 2 times a day .75 mg. after about 3 days i felt no relief so i called and nurse said i need to take for a full week so that its in my system before i would feel the effects of it.well she was right. at about day 6, it has helped. doesnt give me the euphoria that percs did, which is why its probably less addictive. so now i need to schedule an office visit every month to get my refills. my doc told me at initial visit that if the price gets to be an issue for me i could try TRAMADOL. i would love to if it helps but everywhere i have read states its a very week pain med. i could get this WITH REFILLS as well so i wouldnt have to go and see doc every 30 days.
Should i give Tramadol a try and see if it helps before i make the commitment to stick with the very expensive NUCYNTA???

Old 01-22-2010, 05:17 AM   #5
(female)

katlovesdogs HB User

I chose not to try it. Only one person I have spoken to has received any relief using this medicine only because all the other codeine derivatives make her sick. She takes 100 mg 3x a day

Old 01-22-2010, 09:27 AM   #6
Veteran
(male)

Leo123 HB UserLeo123 HB User

I personally know and heard of alot of people who use Tramadol and get pain releif.

It's funny after I read up on it yesterday, I'm almost thinking I would be interested in trying it. (Or I wish I would have tried it when I was new to pain management and my tolerance was lower)

But Katlovesdogs the current drugs you take MS Contin and Percs and the amount of years you have been on them I doubt replacing them with Tramadol all together would do you much good.

Now if he were to try you on Tramadol, along with maybe some Oxy IR 15mg or 30mg and the tramadol was just replacing the MS contin than maybe. I know tramadol is considered the next step down from Morphine (Or somewhere around there) but becuase of the way it affects you receptors and if you still have you Oxy for break through pain, who knows this combo may give you more releif.

I do agree the whole suggesting of tramadol just sound strange from your PM, remind again why is he suggesting you switch up your meds, was it because you are not getting adequate pain releif from your current scripts?

Also what dosage of MS contin and Percs are you taking (If i may ask?), cause if your taking a low enough dose of MS contin, depending on how low your dose is, it might be that the dosage of tramadol he was going to give you would actually equal a stronger amount. (Do you know what tramadol dosage he was going to put you on?)

Old 01-22-2010, 04:42 PM   #7
(female)

creativist HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by elykoj View Post
My gastro doc at the Cleveland Clinic told me he could no longer prescribe pain narcotics for it was a new rule there.
----------------------------------------------------
I just HAD to respond to this statement, which might be off-topic, but it hits home with me.

I used to WORK for the Cleve Clinic (I live in Akron area), and they are out of control there with their "rules". All that hospital system and foundation cares about anymore is the cardiac unit and getting into the top 10 in US News and World Report every year. That is ALL they give a crap about any more. And if this is the new "rule", to not offer narcotic pain meds, then I would say they have sunk to a new level of being ridiculous, and letting lawyers and upper-management make the rules, instead of letting docs treat people and relieve suffering, which is the reason most docs treat patients in the first place-- TO RELIEVE SUFFERING. Yet the Cleve Clinic is worried about statistical data on how many people that pass through are later being treated for addiction. The rules committees don't give a rat's behind about "easing suffering", and they crank through heart patients as if they are on a conveyor belt.

Makes me truly sick. Addiction potential should be an afterthought when it comes to people who are in so much pain they cannot function. In my book, it is a SIN of tghe worst kind to have a solution to someone's agony, yet to deny relief based on some societal "taboo" about narcotics. Prescribing narcotics is not the same as selling crack on a street corner!! My own boss rarely needs to prescribe a strong painkiller after a procedure, but he does prescribe at times, and his philosophy is, "I have no problem prescribing pain medication after the mildest of local surgeries..... I don't see what the big deal is to give someone 20 or 30 pills to help them feel better after I have cut something out of them! I did not get into this field to cause pain through procedures, and then scoot the patient out the door saying 'in pain? Good luck'!!"

May your burdens be lightened today,
creativist

Old 01-22-2010, 05:48 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(male)

allanbruce HB Userallanbruce HB Userallanbruce HB Userallanbruce HB User

I was on 200mg SR Tramadol twice a day for a number of years but it just wasn't doing enough for me so I moved on to the durogesic patches. Starting on a low level and working up to 2 x 50 mcg/h every 3 days. That was fine for quite a while but it gave me terrible constipation which took me ages to get sorted out. After a while I found that they didn't last the 3 days so I changed to 2 x 75mcg/g every 2 days. That helped the pain but gave me nausea and vomiting and even though I tried to go down to the lower dose again the nausea stayed.
Anyhow to get to the point, The doctor though I might try to go back to the tramadol and it was a disaster. I was in so much pain! So I then tried out Oxycontin and that was good, though I had to go up to 40mg twice a day. And I take 3000mg of paracetamol as well as celabrex and valium (muscle relaxant) and endone 5mg for emergencies. I have had less side effects no nausea, and my bowels have been ok so long as I drink plenty of water and use metamucil if things get bad again. I have been on that dose now for quite a few months and along with the injections I have at times, I get by.
So I would not even bother trying the Tremadol unless it was the fast release along with another SR med. That is just from my experience anyhow.
Good luck. Allan

Old 01-23-2010, 04:35 AM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

tiggertoo2174 HB Usertiggertoo2174 HB Usertiggertoo2174 HB Usertiggertoo2174 HB User

Tramdol is an OK med for milder pain. If you've been on MS Contin and Percs for BT it's not going to cut it. I had it post surgical for a bit when I needed a little something for after PT sessions and didn't want to take the vicodan any more and it was fine for that. For the level of pain I've got now - NO WAY. Unless you have experienced a reduction in pain due to another method of pain relief (injection, surgery, etc.) I wouldn't think this would be a good "experiment".

Tigg.

Old 01-23-2010, 07:55 AM   #10
(female)

CS7 HB User

I have tried Tramadol and it didnt work for me at all. I tried it because we wanted to see if it would be better because I take Ibuprofen a lot and was worried about the abd effects. I really wish it had but I think it just doesnt work for some people. Its a shame really.

Closed Thread