It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pain Management Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-23-2010, 09:30 AM   #1
(male)

steve63 HB User
Need advice on lost prescription

Hi All,
I need some advice here. My doc gave me a written prescription for Percocet for a back pain flareup. I put it in my pocket and when I got home it was gone. I did a couple of other errands on the way home and what must have happened is that I inadvertently pulled it out of my pocket and dropped it on the ground when I took my wallet out of my pocket. Anyway, I'm not sure what to do here. Should I call my doc and ask for a new script or will I risk raising red flags that I'm some type of potential drug seeker? My doc gives out narcotics very sparingly and I don't want to make him suspicious of me and unwilling to give them to me in the future. Before finding this forum I wouldn't have thought twice about calling my doc and telling him what happened. But I've read a lot of posts here about "lost" prescriptions and how they can raise red flags with doctors. Does the fact that this prescription was never filled help me out here? Should I just ask him to call my pharmacy to confirm that I never filled it? I'm having a bad flare up right now and could really use the pain relief, however I don't want any red flags put on my record that could potentially affect the willingness of doctors to give me pain medication in the future. Any advice here would be appreciated.

Steve

Old 01-23-2010, 04:07 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

friendsville HB User
Re: Need advice on lost prescription

I would bite the bullet,and promptly go get a replacement for the lost one.I would go to a specific Pharmacy,and not dance around town.If you did nothing wrong,please go have this matter taken care. Hesitation could indicate something sinister.Hold your head up,and get the job done. Bill,the elder

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-23-2010, 09:02 PM   #3
Inactive
(male)

Executor HB UserExecutor HB UserExecutor HB UserExecutor HB UserExecutor HB UserExecutor HB User

I'm pretty sure your State has a prescription monitoring program. If so, then every controlled drug is entered into the state database when it's filled. The purpose of the program is so that Docs and pharmacists who are suspicious of someone can pull their Rx history and the results speak for themselves. State monitoring programs have put a serious dent into Dr shopping.

If that Rx is filled, it will show up on in the database and you can press charges. Actually, the state would probably press charges as the person who filled it would be obtaining an controlled substance under false pretenses and without a prescription.

Given the above, I would go ahead and call your Doc and let him know what happened. In fact, it's very feasible that your Doc may find out anyway:
  • If I'm not mistaken, your state requires a photo ID when controlled meds are filled. Thus, it's likely to not get filled successfully. If it's attempted to be filled and the person comes up with an excuse of not having an ID, then the pharmacy will alert the Doc's office.
  • It's also possible that if someone finds it, they may do the right thing and contact the Doc's office and return the Rx.

I would be very honest and tell him what happened and be apologetic about it. I would also report the incident to the police dept and see what, if anything they can do. They may be able to put some type of alert out in the system.

However, I would report it before calling your Doc....That way when you call your Doc, you can tell him that you've already filled a report and that they will be monitoring the system to ensure it's not filled. This would add credibility to your situation, I think. IMHO, it sends the message right up front that you aren't trying to fill two scripts and that you've been proactive about solving the situation. If your Doc has any suspicion whatsoever, all he has to do is check the database at any given time.

Worst case scenario is that your Doc won't replace it and then you are no worse off than you are now.

Best of luck with this. I feel like it will work out for you.

Regards,

Ex

Last edited by Executor; 01-23-2010 at 09:05 PM.

Old 01-26-2010, 12:53 PM   #4
(male)

steve63 HB User

I decided to take the advice offered here and everything worked out fine. I called my Doc's office, told them what happened and they responded that I was one of their most trusted patients so they would write a replacement script for me no problem. I guess it just goes to show how important it is to establish a relationship of trust with your doctor. Thanks for the advice guys!!

Steve

Old 01-26-2010, 11:08 PM   #5
Inactive
(male)

Executor HB UserExecutor HB UserExecutor HB UserExecutor HB UserExecutor HB UserExecutor HB User

Glad to hear that all worked out.

Regards,

Ex

Closed Thread