It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pain Management Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-28-2010, 04:16 PM   #1
(female)

mykinzie10 HB User
Wink Where to put Fentynal Patch?

Hello everyone. Someone told me today that the script im on, Fentynal patch, 25 mcg. NEEDS to be put above my waist, cuz thats closer to the heart. At the time, I had the patch just right above my buttocks. It SEEMED to be working ok overnight, but, now im really not so sure. Has anyone ever heard anything like that before? Im new on this patch, I would really appreciate any help and answers. Thank you. Mykinzie

Old 01-28-2010, 11:08 PM   #2
Inactive
(male)

Executor HB UserExecutor HB UserExecutor HB UserExecutor HB UserExecutor HB UserExecutor HB User
Re: Where to put Fentynal Patch?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mykinzie10 View Post
Hello everyone. Someone told me today that the script im on, Fentynal patch, 25 mcg. NEEDS to be put above my waist, cuz thats closer to the heart. At the time, I had the patch just right above my buttocks. It SEEMED to be working ok overnight, but, now im really not so sure. Has anyone ever heard anything like that before? Im new on this patch, I would really appreciate any help and answers. Thank you. Mykinzie
Hello Mykinzie....Welcome to Healthboards! I hope you find your time here beneficial. This is a great site where many posters have a very diverse background and can offer lots of support and guidance.

Yes, the manufacturer recommends that the patch be worn above the waist line. Additionally, the recommended sites are the outer arm, the shoulder, and the flanks. Here is a quick outline summary of patch recommendations / guidelines:
  • The patch should not be worn where it will rub against clothing too much or in a place where it will generate excess heat....i.e under the breast, armpit, waistline, & etc.
  • Excess heat can cause the patch to dispense med quicker than it's designed to do. The manufacturer has a warning to not use the patch with electric blankets, while in a hot bath, sauna, and etc.
  • Notify your Doctor if you get any aliment that has a fever. Increased body temperature can lead to overdose....Same issues as explained previously. Excess heat leads to the patch releasing the med very quickly.
  • The best place for the patch is an area that is flat, so that the patch doesn't move around or crinkle. The patch must maintain good body contact at all times in order to work properly. If it starts to come off, simply tape it down with some type of body tape (found at drugstores).
  • Avoid areas of your body where there are a lot of sweat glands...i.e Most of your back area and stomach. The least amt of sweat glands are on the outer arm / bicep area, shoulder (where one gets a tatoo), and just up from the flanks...On your side, about 8 inches below your armpit.
  • Make sure your rotate the patch around different places on your body to avoid skin irritation. Most patch wearers find two or three good spots and rotate back and forth.

Hope this helps. Best of luck to you.

Regards,

Ex

Sponsors Lightbulb

Closed Thread