It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pain Management Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-30-2010, 05:04 AM   #1
(female)

reallywant HB User
Please answer question about pain journal

Hi. I am very thankful for all of the support and information here.
I posted a few days ago asking about a pain journal. I don't think that I was clear. I was actually wondering if anyone can direct me to a website with a good template for a pain diary. I think I've read about this before (not 100% sure though) which is why I'm asking.
Any information would be greatly appreciated. Thank you so much to anyone who responds!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-31-2010, 01:25 AM   #2
Inactive
(male)

Executor HB UserExecutor HB UserExecutor HB UserExecutor HB UserExecutor HB UserExecutor HB User
Re: Please answer question about pain journal

I don't know that I have seen anything with a good template, per se. Plus, we're not permitted to post links to other sites. Really, all you need is a spiral notebook so you can write notes to yourself. You can make your journal be anything you want it to be....To emphasize whatever you think is important for your situation.

Not sure if you've read the other thread that is current on the subject, but I posted an in depth perspective in that thread.

http://www.healthboards.com/boards/showthread.php?t=733382

I would also include pain scale information in your daily journal as well. You'll probably find that your pain rating (pain scale) changes quite a bit, depending on your activity level & etc. One of the results that typically comes out of a pain journal are one's "triggers", or what things you may do, eat, & etc .,that causes pain levels to rise.

http://www.healthboards.com/boards/showthread.php?t=733168

Best of luck to you.

Regards,

Ex

Last edited by Executor; 01-31-2010 at 01:29 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-31-2010, 03:20 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

Pegala HB UserPegala HB UserPegala HB UserPegala HB UserPegala HB UserPegala HB UserPegala HB User

Hello Fellow CPers,
There's an excellent explanation of the pain rating scale that most doctors use. It's part of a thread called Pain Scale?, and it was started just a few days ago. Executor explained how the scale works, and what her pain looks like at each number on the scale. I printed this out as soon as I found it and taped it into my pain journal. It's a great resource. Not only does it help me, but now I can show my doctor and he can see what a 6 is, or a 3, or, well you get the point.
Look it up, I think it will really help.
That Ex, she's just the best.
Let us know how things go.
Peggy

Old 02-01-2010, 04:28 AM   #4
(female)

reallywant HB User

Thank you so much! Exec-I'm going to go to the thread you provided. I've been reading here everyday for two years. I don't post a lot though. I am very grateful for all of the support.

I've had more pain lately. I don't know why. I think I may be overdoing it. Either that, or something else is going on. I do keep a journal, but I need to be more specific in describing how I'm feeling.

Thanks!

Old 02-02-2010, 12:34 AM   #5
Inactive
(male)

Executor HB UserExecutor HB UserExecutor HB UserExecutor HB UserExecutor HB UserExecutor HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by reallywant View Post
Thank you so much! Exec-I'm going to go to the thread you provided. I've been reading here everyday for two years. I don't post a lot though. I am very grateful for all of the support.

I've had more pain lately. I don't know why. I think I may be overdoing it. Either that, or something else is going on. I do keep a journal, but I need to be more specific in describing how I'm feeling.

Thanks!
You're very welcome.

Yes, keeping a journal may very well help you zero in on what's going on. Be sure to include your general activity level for the day, what you ate (in general), how much you slept, how you felt when you woke up, at mid-day, and at night. Looking backwards, you might start to notice a trend(s). For example, it could be sleep related, food related, or as you suspect, activity related. What you eat today, is your fuel for tomorrow. How much activity you partake in today, generally effects you tomorrow. These are the types of things you want to start to identify. Once you identify "triggers" of your pain, you can then try to avoid them as much as possible....Or at least manage them.

For me, however I feel when I wake up in the morning, almost always drives my day. If I wake up feeling bad, it's normally a bad day, and vice versa. Everyone is different, and depending on your specific condition, pain, and etc., hopefully you'll be able to narrow it down and then manage accordingly.

Best of luck to you.

Regards,

Ex

Closed Thread