It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pain Management Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-31-2010, 01:36 PM   #1
(female)

twix306148 HB User
Question How many days supply norco 7.5's

how many days supply of norco 7.5's is 60 tabs? It's a new perscription, and I forgot to ask my doctor, and he is now on vacation. I'm supposed to take 1 tablet every 6 hours...but the relief only lasts around 2 1/2 - 3 hours.

Old 01-31-2010, 02:13 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Pegala HB UserPegala HB UserPegala HB UserPegala HB UserPegala HB UserPegala HB UserPegala HB User
Re: How many days supply norco 7.5's

Dear Twix,
When is your next appointment with your doctor? I would say that the meds should last until your next appointment.
When my doctor writes a prescription for a med to be taken every 6 hours it's usually for three pills a day. There have been times when I've had to take meds around the clock, but then the doctor prescribed long acting drugs. For example, I took 800mg Motrin every eight hours post op. I took them exactly as prescribed and it worked out to three a day.
Look at the prescription bottle again. It might say how many days worth of pills there are.
I hope this helps. Let us know what happens.
Peggy

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-31-2010, 09:41 PM   #3
Inactive
(male)

Executor HB UserExecutor HB UserExecutor HB UserExecutor HB UserExecutor HB UserExecutor HB User
Re: How many days supply norco 7.5's

Welcome to Healthboards! This is a great site with lots of very useful information. Many who post here have very diverse backgrounds, thus, can offer lots of support and guidance. I hope you find your time here very beneficial.

Quote:
Originally Posted by twix306148 View Post
how many days supply of norco 7.5's is 60 tabs? It's a new perscription, and I forgot to ask my doctor, and he is now on vacation. I'm supposed to take 1 tablet every 6 hours...but the relief only lasts around 2 1/2 - 3 hours.
Peggy is right in that normally, a prescription should last until the next appointment, unless the Doc provides refills & etc. However, this is just a general rule and not hard fast by any means.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pegala View Post
When my doctor writes a prescription for a med to be taken every 6 hours it's usually for three pills a day. There have been times when I've had to take meds around the clock, but then the doctor prescribed long acting drugs. For example, I took 800mg Motrin every eight hours post op. I took them exactly as prescribed and it worked out to three a day.
Peggy is correct on both points...."Every 6 hours" could be either 3 or 4 per day. This can be confusing because a lot of times, it's how the pharmacist puts it into the computer. Every script is entered into the system as a # of "days supply." Thus, you could call the pharmacy that filled it and ask them what the pharmacist entered into the computer.

The reason it gets confusing is because some medical professionals consider x every y hours as exactly that....In your case, every 6 hours or 4 per day....Pretty simple. However, I've heard other medical professionals say that 6-8 hours is always permitted for sleep time, thus every 6 hours would be 3 per day under that philosophy.

At the end of the day, it's up to the Dr. I would start by calling the pharmacist and see what was entered when filled. Three per day would be a 20 day supply, while 4 per day is a 15 day supply. Big difference!

I'm assuming you have a refill on the script so that's why you're asking. Is this correct? Just assuming on my part. If you're going to come up short due to the meds not lasting, then your Doc's office can authorize you to refill early. Some insurances will authorize a few days early....The main issue may be the pharmacist. Some are strict while others are not. Normally, if the script is denied by insurance, the pharmacist obviously catches it. However, if the insurance authorizes the refill (even if slightly early), a lot of times, they won't catch it.

I'm sorry if this all sounds evasive, but it's not an easy question. In fact, all sorts of things can effect the outcome of this scenario. The easiest (and best) outcome is to call the Doc's office for an override if necessary.

If your pain isn't being adequately addressed, then maybe the best bet is to get back in to see the Doc and explain what you have here in this post....That the med is only lasting 2.5-3 hours. This is important, because when you get behind on your pain coverage, the pain builds on itself and it becomes almost impossible to catch back up. It's very important to stay ahead of the pain and either nip it in the bud, or prevent it as much as possible. For example, when I have a flare up come on, I hit it early and hard....Which usually works well for me.

Best of luck to you.

Regards,

Ex

Closed Thread