It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pain Management Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-31-2010, 03:54 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

Fiona_Jo HB UserFiona_Jo HB UserFiona_Jo HB UserFiona_Jo HB UserFiona_Jo HB UserFiona_Jo HB User
Question Anyone get rebound headaches from Soma?

I am really struggling with taking Soma. I had been getting these awful rebound headaches (I'm susceptible to migraines anyway), but my migraines have been on under control until the last couple of months. Until my last two prescriptions I hadn't had an issue. To know for sure I eliminated the Soma completely and wouldn't you know it - NO more headaches. Anyone else have this problem with it? I can almost live with the spasms in my neck, better than the rebound headaches from the Soma - absolutely miserable!

Any input is appreciated. Is there a better medication for muscle spasms?

~ Fiona Jo

The following user gives a hug of support to Fiona_Jo:
ErinDrake (10-28-2011)
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Fiona_Jo For This Useful Post:
cyntax (09-11-2012), ErinDrake (10-28-2011)
Old 02-03-2010, 09:26 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Fiona_Jo HB UserFiona_Jo HB UserFiona_Jo HB UserFiona_Jo HB UserFiona_Jo HB UserFiona_Jo HB User
Re: Anyone get rebound headaches from Soma?

I had my monthly appointment on Tuesday and my PM Doctor changed/added the muscle relaxer Zanaflex. I have refills on my Soma, if for some reason the Zanaflex doesn't agree with me. She also mentioned that I could take one Soma during the day and one Zanaflex at night if the the Zanaflex makes me too sleepy.

Anyone else take Zanaflex for muscle spasms and what do you think? Has anyone tried the Soma/Zanaflex combination - Soma during the day and Zanaflex at night. I took a Zanaflex last evening and it did make me very sleepy, so I can't imagine ever taking it during the day!

Thanks in advance!

~ Fiona Jo

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-03-2010, 01:20 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

ozzybug HB Userozzybug HB Userozzybug HB Userozzybug HB User

I had a friend who had the same issue with Soma. For some reason it raised her blood pressure which caused the headache.

I've never taken soma, but have taken zanaflex. It was a bit too strong for me, but at that time, I was new to PM and that doctor (no longer my doc) was extremely aggressive with meds and he had me whacked out so bad I had to stop seeing him. That was no kind of life. Like you, I would rather be alive and in the land of the living than go through life like a zombie because of the side-effects of the meds. This man never once even took my weight, blood pressure, nor medical records I got together for him and he wanted cash payment only? No way!

Now, I do get rebound headaches from Percocet (used to when I took them). It helped if I ate those peanut butter nab crackers when I took them. I would also drink gingerale instead of my usual caffein laden Coca-Cola.

Take care and I hope the zanaflex works well for you!

Old 02-03-2010, 11:00 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

janiee08 HB Userjaniee08 HB Userjaniee08 HB Userjaniee08 HB Userjaniee08 HB Userjaniee08 HB Userjaniee08 HB User

I used to get really bad migraines after my periods. The Soma I took @ the time would make them worse. It took a while for me to make this connection, but once I did; I chose to just stop taking the Soma. This was several years ago. I am now post-menapausal (in my 40's), and no more migraines. Now with these back issues, I do take Zanaflex. If I take a nap in the afternoon, I take a half a tab. Then before bedtime, I take one whole tab. You can break these into fourths, or halves which is nice about the Zanaflex. Personally, I feel meds like valium and klonopin do a better job @ actually relaxing the muscles....Janiee08

Old 02-04-2010, 02:42 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozzybug View Post
I had a friend who had the same issue with Soma. For some reason it raised her blood pressure which caused the headache.

I've never taken soma, but have taken zanaflex. It was a bit too strong for me,

Now, I do get rebound headaches from Percocet (used to when I took them). It helped if I ate those peanut butter nab crackers when I took them. I would also drink gingerale instead of my usual caffein laden Coca-Cola.

Take care and I hope the zanaflex works well for you!
Thanks Ozzybug! I'm on 2mg Zanaflex, but it's too strong for during the day. So, I think I will stick to one Soma (as needed) during the day and I will take the 2 mg Zanaflex at night. Because, it really does help me sleep - I can't imagine taking it during the day!

Quote:
Originally Posted by janiee08 View Post
I used to get really bad migraines after my periods. The Soma I took @ the time would make them worse. It took a while for me to make this connection, but once I did; I chose to just stop taking the Soma. This was several years ago. I am now post-menapausal (in my 40's), and no more migraines. Now with these back issues, I do take Zanaflex. If I take a nap in the afternoon, I take a half a tab. Then before bedtime, I take one whole tab. You can break these into fourths, or halves which is nice about the Zanaflex. Personally, I feel meds like valium and klonopin do a better job @ actually relaxing the muscles....Janiee08
Janniee - I'm going to give the soma another chance. Because, it could have been related to hormones making me more susceptible to the headaches - I didn't even think of that. That's a good idea about taking a 1/2 zanaflex before a nap! Thanks!

Last edited by Fiona_Jo; 02-04-2010 at 02:43 PM.

Closed Thread