It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pain Management Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-04-2010, 10:13 AM   #1
(female)

aurorastorm HB User
Thumbs down Scared to take the Meds

I am new to the boards, but feel like I have finally found a life line. Friends and family think it is all about relaxing and stop being so anxious and then I will feel better, but they don't realize the pain I feel.

I don't know what is wrong with me, had my gallbladder out about a year ago and ever since then have had so many problems, especially with my stomache. Have had so many tests and they all come out negative, I know something is wrong but no one can figure it out. Right now I have chest cavity wall pain, that my dr has prescribed Gabapentin for (scared to take that), then another dr has also prescribed Cerafate which has not helped so far. I am also on blood pressure medicine and ativan, just seems like way to much medicine for one person to take.

Old 02-04-2010, 10:39 AM   #2
(female)

katlovesdogs HB User
Re: Scared to take the Meds

I am on 2 pain meds, muscle relaxe, blood pressure and cholesterol PLUS Chantix to stop smoking. A lot of people are on a lot of diffrent meds

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-04-2010, 01:35 PM   #3
(female)

jdsun HB User

I just came off Gabapentin, but was on it for over a year. Before my chronic pain started, I took no medications. Now I take over 6 medications daily. Yes, it does seem overwhelming at first, but if you get the right combination it can really help your pain. I wasted 2 years of my life in pain because I didnt want to take medication. My psychologist helped me see how silly I was being.

Good luck and I hope your pain is controlled soon.
Jdsun

Old 02-04-2010, 04:05 PM   #4
(female)

aurorastorm HB User

jdsun-thank you so much for this posting.....I am just making myself crazy. I took it a few hours ago, feel a little tired and dizzy, but willing to try it.....anything that helps at this point.

Old 02-04-2010, 04:06 PM   #5
(female)

aurorastorm HB User

katlovesdogs-
I love dogs too, lol.
Thank you for this quick reply, my dr said it was okay to take all of them, but it just got me scared and then of course up went my anxiety.

Old 02-05-2010, 04:40 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

ozzybug HB Userozzybug HB Userozzybug HB Userozzybug HB User

Hey There- I'm so sorry you are having this pain. It's probably even more compounded & frustrating since they are not able to tell you what exactly is causing your pain. I know that would drive me up the wall. I know pain is pain, but for me, it made things easier to deal with when they were able to put a finger on what was causing it. It allowed me to research and learn more about my particular nerve damage.

I understand your fears about taking multiple medications, but like others have said, many people with CP issues have to take multiple medications. Many of us also have other modalities to help with our pain as well.

I will tell you that I too take Neurontin (Gabapentin) and have gotten great results. Yes, it did cause drowsiness at first accompanied by some dizziness too, so my doctor had me take them at dinner & bedtime so that I would be able to be at home and sleep. Once my body adjusted, he had me switch to one in the morning and one at night, however, we did change back to evening & bedtime doses because that was what my body was used to.

Neurontin is a med that has to have time to build up to a steady blood plasma level, so you will not see immediate results from it so please do not get discouraged if you don't get results right away. Many times, the doctor will have to alter your dosage up until you find the right amount that works for you.

I wish you the best, and hope you are able to get some relief! Take care, and welcome to the PM boards.

Last edited by ozzybug; 02-05-2010 at 04:40 AM.

Old 02-05-2010, 04:36 PM   #7
(male)

dmarcus48 HB User

Wow, guys, I'm 59, when I was 50 the only meds I took was an allergy pill, now I take 10 pills in the morning, 3 in the afternoon, and 6 more when I go to bed. I take meds for blood pressure, asthma, acid reflex (from the asthma), gout, allergies, pain, and the constipation from the pain meds. Just wait until you get older.
My pain is from having both feet taken apart and put back together, something called PTTI Posterior Tibial Tendon Insufficiency, the operations didn't work well, and left me with chronic pain. Oh and they can't tell me WHY I'm still in pain. I've had all kinds of tests and nothing has come up wrong.

Last edited by dmarcus48; 02-05-2010 at 04:37 PM.

Closed Thread