It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pain Management Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-06-2010, 07:37 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

schao HB User
Weight Gain from pain meds....

Hi everyone,

Do narcotic pain meds....I take Oxycodone and Morphine Sulphate IR....make you gain weight? I know the inactivity of having chronic pain can contribute to weight gain, but do the actual medications cause it?

Thanks so much,
schao

Old 02-06-2010, 09:12 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

janiee08 HB Userjaniee08 HB Userjaniee08 HB Userjaniee08 HB Userjaniee08 HB Userjaniee08 HB Userjaniee08 HB User
Re: Weight Gain from pain meds....

Do you take any other meds like Neurontin, generically known as Gabapentin or Lyrica(forgot it's generic name @ the moment), but these are well known for weight gain....janiee

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-06-2010, 10:53 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

schao HB User

Hi Janie....

Nope, neither of those....just the 2 I mentioned. Thanks for the reply.

schao

Old 02-06-2010, 11:49 PM   #4
Inactive
(male)

Executor HB UserExecutor HB UserExecutor HB UserExecutor HB UserExecutor HB UserExecutor HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by schao View Post
Do narcotic pain meds....I take Oxycodone and Morphine Sulphate IR....make you gain weight? I know the inactivity of having chronic pain can contribute to weight gain, but do the actual medications cause it?
Yes, they can.....Pain meds are "depressants" and slow down your metabolism, just like alcohol does. So, the combination of less activity (due to pain) and the effect on one's metabolism, weight gain can be substantial if one isn't careful.

In some people, pain meds can be stimulating. This is called the "paradoxical effect", or opposite of what is intended. While I wouldn't go as far to say that they cause them to lose weight, I would say that they probably don't get the weight gain.

Anytime exercise is limited, portion control is crucial. You don't have to starve yourself either....Just watch what you eat. As a trainer once told me...."If you don't want to get fat, then don't eat fat." I'm guilty as anyone at times of drowning my sorrows in ice cream and other sweets. Given one's limited mobility, high fat foods such as these can be very detrimental.

Hope this helps, and best of luck to you.

Regards,

Ex

Old 02-07-2010, 12:54 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

schao HB User

Thanks Ex.

I actually get a good amount of exercise and eat very well, that is why I'm stumped. But I was inactive for a good while. Gaining weight is so easy and losing it is so hard. I figured they probably did cause weight gain.
I have so much frustrating me right now..it's just one thing after another sometimes.

Thanks for your help,
schao

Old 02-07-2010, 01:27 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

Fiona_Jo HB UserFiona_Jo HB UserFiona_Jo HB UserFiona_Jo HB UserFiona_Jo HB UserFiona_Jo HB User

I have never had to worry about weight prior to being on the Fentanyl patch and now I'm really struggling with it. I generally try to eat healthy anyway, but now I have to be extra careful. So, I definitely notice a difference (when I was just taking the Norco), I didn't have any issues, but when the patch was added (about three months into using the patch), I started really noticing an issue with weight gain. I'm definitely grateful that my pain is managed, so I'm willing to deal with the weight issue and looking for better ways to manage my weight. But, I do believe the additional narcotic has played a part in my weight changes. I totally hear what you're saying!

~ Fiona Jo

Old 02-07-2010, 08:12 AM   #7
Inactive
(male)

Executor HB UserExecutor HB UserExecutor HB UserExecutor HB UserExecutor HB UserExecutor HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by schao View Post

Thanks Ex.

I actually get a good amount of exercise and eat very well, that is why I'm stumped. But I was inactive for a good while. Gaining weight is so easy and losing it is so hard. I figured they probably did cause weight gain.
I have so much frustrating me right now..it's just one thing after another sometimes.
Some random pointers, just as an fyi:
  • As you get older, your metabolism slows naturally anyway. Most people report that there are "stages" or natural cliffs where metabolism really changes. You'll often hear people say things like, "I could eat anything until I was 40", or "all was fine until last year." You may just be at one of those natural stages.
  • Most people gain weight in the dead of winter...It's really hard to be active on a regular basis. I always put a little "winter coat" on each Jan & Feb....The combination of eating over the holidays and then being trapped indoors due to the weather.
  • You might want to check your diet...Something with more calories and / or fat than you realize may have crept in to your regimen. It's very easy to do.
  • An easy way to start to reverse the trend to is to make subtle changes in your diet....Condiments for example is a good place to start....Don't put cheese on things, use light mayo (or elminate), less caloric salad dressing, and etc.
  • Try not to eat anything substantial within 4-5 hours of bedtime. The longer you go, the better. I know this can be tough, but calories consumed late in the day just cannot be burned off.
  • The fastest way to lose weight is to eliminate all sweets / deserts from your diet. They are empty calories and contain a very large amt of fat. For example, one cookie each night after dinner can put at least 5 lbs on the average person.

Best of luck to you.

Regards,

Ex

Old 02-07-2010, 03:32 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

Madison104 HB UserMadison104 HB UserMadison104 HB User

schao, I do have a lot of other issues, but I seem to lose weight since I have been on opiates. Also, the "way" I eat which they call grazing keeps my metabolism up.
I eat six very small meals a day...... and I don't have supper after 5pm, except on a very RARE occasion. I will have a little snack at night.

I know it is hard to lose.....
I hope you are able to figure out something that helps you so you feel better
Madison

Old 02-08-2010, 02:01 AM   #9
(female)

reallywant HB User

I am the same way, Madison. I have lost a lot of weight too. I also eat small meals throughout the day. So I guess that it's different for everyone but I mostly hear about weight gain from opiates.

Old 02-08-2010, 08:33 AM   #10
Inactive
(male)

Quote:
Originally Posted by reallywant View Post
I am the same way, Madison. I have lost a lot of weight too. I also eat small meals throughout the day. So I guess that it's different for everyone but I mostly hear about weight gain from opiates.
In some people, the pain and the meds....Especially the meds, reduce one's appetite.

The DEA shut down all the old fashioned weight loss clinics....In addition to exercise & etc., they had Docs on site prescribing a unique blend of weight loss supplement(s)....It had opiates in it to suppress the appetite.

Regards,

Ex

Old 02-08-2010, 02:50 PM   #11
Senior Veteran
(female)

Fiona_Jo HB UserFiona_Jo HB UserFiona_Jo HB UserFiona_Jo HB UserFiona_Jo HB UserFiona_Jo HB User

With just the Norco I had no issue with weight challenges. But, the Fentanyl patch made quite a difference (with no changes in my eating habits at all). I'm a very healthy eater - so eating unhealthy wasn't a factor at all and I do drink plenty of water. I just think the Fentanyl patch has really slowed down my metabolism and I have read that it's fairly common with this medication. So, I have had to reduce my calorie intake even more to compensate. I'm petite anyway - so now I just eat very small meals.

~ Fiona Jo

Old 02-08-2010, 11:05 PM   #12
Inactive
(male)

Yes....This is because it's all proportional....The stronger the medication, the more it will slow your metabolism. The same is true re: constipation and other issues. Stronger meds have greater impact on our bodies, especially the Pit gland.

Regards,

Ex

Last edited by Administrator; 03-26-2014 at 01:31 AM.

Old 02-09-2010, 07:05 AM   #13
Senior Veteran
(female)

Madison104 HB UserMadison104 HB UserMadison104 HB User

Wow Ex, no shyte...those clinics for weight loss put in opiates to suppress the appetite? You do learn something new every day as my daddy used to say...
I guess we never know do we?
The one thing I do notice is my increase in my "appetite for sugar." Now, I don't LIKE sweets, but every once in a while I get a real CRAVING which I contribute to opiates.
Thank goodness this does not happen often as I just don't believe that sugar is good for us. But when that craving HITS, I feed it! LOL Good thing I have control. As my friend who loves sugar says "WHO eats ONE cookie?" LOL that would be ME.
I secretly look for a BIG cookie though! LOL

Closed Thread