It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pain Management Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-09-2010, 04:06 PM   #1
(female)

armymom109 HB User
drug store that won't fill prescription

when can you fill a thirty day supply of pills

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-09-2010, 11:01 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

Shoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB User
Re: drug store that won't fill prescription

Hi Army, Even if your insurance will pay if the last script is 75 or 80% complete, It doesn't mean the pharmacist has to do it. There are pharamcist that play little games or get over zeoulous as far as prenting diversion and will make you wait untill day 30 or even day 31. My doc puts fill on or after dates on ever script. Day 30 is calculated and that's when I can fill it. Thats the bottom line answer. If you want to be the perfect patient that is never questioned, fill a 30 day script on day 30. It's not like 2+2 has changed or counting to 30 has changed just because we are now disabled or it's harder to get around.

Many of the meds used in PM are the most tightly controlled and the most highly abused meds available. As crazy as smoking a pill or sucking on a Pain patch may sound to you or me, someone out there is doing it and every pharamcy has a couple true addicts that can't say their name when they walk to the counter. They know the addicts by name and know the games they play. My wife was in the Biz for 8 years and it was always the same at every store. Despite our DX or someone elses, The pharamcist is the last line of defense to prevent diversion. Some can be a little over zealous but it's hard to denie there is a major prescription drug problem in the US.

I can safely say you will never have a problem filling on day 30. Count the day you get it and no pharmacist can really dispute its due although they do have the right to make you wait if they want to call and confirm or claify any thing about the script. This is one of the few business where the tail truly wags the dog.
It's certainly not worth a confrontation as your name can easily be red flagged where your given a hard time on every script at every store in a chain, not just class 2's or tightly controllsed drugs. One call from a pharmacist to your Pm doc saying your trying to get controlled substances filled early is one call too many. Better to change pharmacies and simply inform your doc you now use a different pharamcy then make a scene about the pharmacist decsion or use of discretion. Thats just my opionion though.
Good luck, Dave

Last edited by Shoreline; 02-10-2010 at 05:36 AM. Reason: grammer

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-10-2010, 03:58 PM   #3
Veteran
(female)

Madison104 HB UserMadison104 HB UserMadison104 HB User

My Ins. will let my meds go through 2 days early, BUT a pharmacist usually will not do this. I understand why. I have been able to get my meds. on a Sat. when the pharmacy was closed on a Sunday. Watch out when there is 31 days in a month, because that means you would "appear" to be filling one day early.

Walgreens which are open 24/7 will fill at midnight because technically is IS the next day. I don't use them but I know someone that does. We have a local pharmacy called "Care" and I LOVE them there. It is a smaller pharmacy and they know you by name and actually say hello and ask you how you are. Plus they sell medical equipment and will run a tab if you needed to, for those without Ins.

I once had a pharmacist that would not fill ONE SECOND early I swear. She was a btch in general though. I just did not like her. Once my doctor switched me from one pain med to another and she was NOT going to fill it. She called the office and everything ASKING ME what I was going to do with my left-overs from my previous pain management regimen. I had been going to that pharmacy for TEN years. She was new on board. I never went back after that little incident.

Sorry to rant, you certainly did not ask for all of this info.
Are you having trouble filling your meds?

Old 02-10-2010, 10:50 PM   #4
Inactive
(male)

Executor HB UserExecutor HB UserExecutor HB UserExecutor HB UserExecutor HB UserExecutor HB User

This is why I use an independent pharmacy. I highly recommend any CPer who takes regular pain meds to find a good independent pharmacy where the pharmacist owns the business. I've told mine practically everything...I believe one's pharmacist should be an extension of your Doc.

A good compassionate independent pharmacist knows all the tricks and will often help you when in a jam. My guy has really come through for me a couple of times over the years. Additionally, he orders meds just for me and puts my name on the master bottle and holds them so we never run low, or out.

Regards,

Ex

Old 02-11-2010, 06:07 AM   #5
Veteran
(female)

Hey Ex, how do we find out that information on the independent pharmacist. This would mean that they are not a "chain" right?
Thank you for that little gem

Old 02-11-2010, 06:37 AM   #6
(female)

katlovesdogs HB User

exactly. THey are not like CVS, Rite Aid Walgreens,, instead they are Mom and Pop's using other names. They usually have names like Village Pharmacy, Lynnbrook Drugs.. in other words neighborhood or town names instead of corporations.I will never go back to a chain. I amy change my pharmacy but to another Independent. The only draw back I have seen is they may not be open long hours

Last edited by katlovesdogs; 02-11-2010 at 08:02 AM.

Old 02-11-2010, 06:45 AM   #7
Veteran
(female)

Yes, my drug store is closed on Sat. except the other Care in another town. From what I can tell there are 3 of them....but I am not sure if that is a chain? OR did the owner expand? Actually as I think about this, I DO believe they are independently owned by the same man. Seems I heard that, but would like to verify. Hey, maybe I can just ask my pharmacist right?

Old 02-11-2010, 08:03 AM   #8
(female)

katlovesdogs HB User

Best thing to do is Ask if they are part of a chain or just have multiple stores. To me a chain is nationwide

Old 02-11-2010, 12:22 PM   #9
Veteran
(male)

Leo123 HB UserLeo123 HB User

I often go to the big chain pharmacy and most of them will fill a 30 day supply a couple days early.

So say around day 28.

Old 02-11-2010, 12:49 PM   #10
(female)

reallywant HB User

If you get to know the pharmacist in a chain store, then a chain can also be great. But that takes time and doesn't always happen. I agree that an independent is probably better than a chain for CP patients. But, there are pharmacists at chains that will get to know you and label your bottle so you know it's saved for you. They can order early, etc., and make sure if they're out sick that the replacement knows you're coming in. But I think it may be rare to find a pharm. at a chain like that, especially in a big city.

Old 02-11-2010, 01:50 PM   #11
Senior Veteran
(female)

ozzybug HB Userozzybug HB Userozzybug HB Userozzybug HB User

I've been on both sides of the chain pharmacy situation. I've had really bad problems with a certain chain and stopped using them (chain stores) for a while. I was with an independant for a while and they were really nice, however it was not a good thing when it came to traveling. I had to make any and all travel plans around scrip refills since there isn't another branch of that pharmacy in other towns.

I have been fortunate to get "mom & pop" pharmacy treatment & care from the chain I use now. It may be because I'm in a tiny little town, but the pharmacy staff at my current chain pharmacy know their patients by name and have performed virtual miracles with my insurance approving certain meds I've had to take. They call me by name, and even one time, called me at home to check on me when they found out I had an allergic reaction to a new medication I was taking.

I know the above mentioned situation is not the norm with chain pharmacies, but it is nice to have a pharmacist, as Ex & others have said, that treat you like a friend and is an extension of you medical care team. One that will go the extra mile to make you feel like they truly care about you & your wellfare.

Last edited by ozzybug; 02-11-2010 at 01:51 PM.

Old 02-11-2010, 02:51 PM   #12
(female)

katlovesdogs HB User

I love that i don't have to wait at my current independent and at first they were nice but I noticed that sometimes the pharmacist will play "God" with my refills. She will NOT budge at all for the 30 days on my percs but will allow the MS Contin to go a day or 2 early. Last month I had to wait 3 days for my percs as she said it was an insurance thing. I am thinking about asking my PM doc if I can change pharmacies but of course state it is due to their hours of operation ( close at 7 M-F 1 on Sat closed Sun )

Old 02-11-2010, 03:37 PM   #13
Inactive
(female)

Boxerluver HB UserBoxerluver HB UserBoxerluver HB UserBoxerluver HB UserBoxerluver HB UserBoxerluver HB UserBoxerluver HB UserBoxerluver HB User

I personally agree with the independant ones and use one myself for compounded meds and if there is a mix up in ordering my pain meds but I got lucky at a grocery chain where my pharmacist's husband is a cper so she understands. I think whether you go to a chain or independant, to go talk with the head pharmacist. Explain your situation and most of the time they will work with you and then once you have a relationship, most things should run very smoothly. When I was first put on pain management I was basically abused by the pharmacy I used. They deliberately didn't order my meds and were as mean as possible. I thought I had to stay until one time at my pain docs I said something about how they treated me and he went ballistic and told me to find another pharmacy that I do not have to put up with treatment like that.

When we moved here I tried to get established at one of the chains and the head pharmacist wanted to cause trouble immediately. No problem as I will take my money elsewhere. I have been with the same 2 pharmacies(I know when you get pain meds you are only supposed to use one pharmacy, but my meds are special ordered and if my regular pharmacist is on vacation and someone forgets to order it I use the other one. My doc knows.) for 8 years and like Ex, they are part of my PM team.

Old 02-11-2010, 09:27 PM   #14
Inactive
(male)

Executor HB UserExecutor HB UserExecutor HB UserExecutor HB UserExecutor HB UserExecutor HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by katlovesdogs View Post
exactly. THey are not like CVS, Rite Aid Walgreens,, instead they are Mom and Pop's using other names. They usually have names like Village Pharmacy, Lynnbrook Drugs.. in other words neighborhood or town names instead of corporations.I will never go back to a chain. I amy change my pharmacy but to another Independent. The only draw back I have seen is they may not be open long hours
Yes, Katlovesdogs is correct. Another popular independent to look for is the "Medicine Shoppe." It's a nationwide franchise, but each is independently owned....Like a Subway. They pay a monthly fee to corporate in order to use the name and they get access to cheap inventory. However, they are completely independent in terms of day-to-day operations.

As Kat says, most of the independents have the owners name in the title...Such as "Jones Pharmacy" & etc..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madison104 View Post
Yes, my drug store is closed on Sat. except the other Care in another town.
Most independents have reduced hours (compared to chains). For example, my independent closes @ 7pm on weekdays, 1pm on Saturday, and are closed on Sunday. Thus, a little more planning is required, but really isn't that big of an issue IMHO.

Quote:
Originally Posted by reallywant View Post
If you get to know the pharmacist in a chain store, then a chain can also be great. But that takes time and doesn't always happen. I agree that an independent is probably better than a chain for CP patients.
Yes, pharmacists at some chains can be great. There was one at a CVS that I used prior to my independent who was tremendous. However, the problem is when these people have a day "off" or on vacation. In fact, the "fill in" or rotating pharmacist can be a big problem. These folks usually are assigned this role full time and they aren't happy about it. They can't possibly get to know the patients and aren't the most pleasant people around.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozzybug View Post
It is nice to have a pharmacist, as Ex & others have said, that treat you like a friend and is an extension of you medical care team. One that will go the extra mile to make you feel like they truly care about you & your wellfare.
Yes! My pharmacist actually says "thanks for your business" whereas I don't think a chain person has ever said that....Not that it's a huge deal that someone say this, but the point is that they are being sincere and do appreciate your business. I feel like most chain people could really care less and probably feel like the lesser the amt of business, the better.

I certainly get this impression at other chains....Like Subway....When I go in and order more than one sub for a family type of order, the worker rolls his eyes like he's being bothered. I got this same feeling when I used chain pharmacies.

Also, if you educate your independent pharmacist about your issues & etc., then they will often go the extra mile to help you....Because they know that you're not trying to scam them. I try to tell my guy about most of my appointments & etc....I keep him in the loop as much as practically possible.

With the recent snowstorms, my guy filled some of my meds a day or two early because he knew it would be an issue getting out & etc. I seriously doubt a chain would ever do that. Another time, I had one of my pain meds due on a Sunday and had forgotten to remind the PM Doc...They date them for Saturdays when this happens.

I typically give my scripts to my pharmacist all at once and he holds them so I don't have to keep up with them. Neither one of us caught the Sunday date until it was too late to call the Doc. My pharmacist asked me if I'd rather get the meds on Saturday or meet him after church on Sunday. I told him whatever was most convenient for him. He replied that he only gets one day off and he'd rather not come in on Sunday if it was ok with me. So, he gave me the meds on Saturday, and then processed them on Monday. I was more than happy to do what was easiest for him. I felt bad that I had forgotten to remind the PM that refill day was on a Sunday.

Regards,

Ex

Old 02-11-2010, 09:36 PM   #15
Inactive
(male)

Quote:
Originally Posted by katlovesdogs View Post
I love that i don't have to wait at my current independent and at first they were nice but I noticed that sometimes the pharmacist will play "God" with my refills. She will NOT budge at all for the 30 days on my percs but will allow the MS Contin to go a day or 2 early. Last month I had to wait 3 days for my percs as she said it was an insurance thing. I am thinking about asking my PM doc if I can change pharmacies but of course state it is due to their hours of operation ( close at 7 M-F 1 on Sat closed Sun )
I'm actually quite surprised that it's not the opposite. LA meds are to be taken either 2x or 3x and most pharmacists reason that there should be no reason for an early refill, other than a trip, vacation & etc.

Conversely, SA meds, or our BT meds, can fluctuate a lot due to our pain, and they are what we may need a day or two early.

If your Doc is ok with the early refill, then the pharmacist should permit it. I would have him write you a quick note....Doesn't have to be anything fancy....Saying early refill is ok. It can just be on a script pad or something. Pharmacists are legally supposed to follow Dr's orders and this would be an order.

Also, almost all insurance companies permit a day or two early....Some are as much as 4 or 5. Even if insurance denies it, you can still elect to pay "cash" and not run it through insurance. If she still says "no", then that's when a Doc's order should override it. If your Doc is ok with it, there is no reason why you should suffer. I'd try to work something out.

Regards,

Ex

Closed Thread