It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pain Management Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-19-2010, 08:47 AM   #1
(male)

quad4 HB User
How long do lumbar sympathetic ganglion blocks last

How long do lumbar sympathetic ganglion blocks last

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-19-2010, 01:03 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Ilovemycutedog HB UserIlovemycutedog HB UserIlovemycutedog HB UserIlovemycutedog HB UserIlovemycutedog HB UserIlovemycutedog HB UserIlovemycutedog HB UserIlovemycutedog HB UserIlovemycutedog HB UserIlovemycutedog HB UserIlovemycutedog HB User
Re: How long do lumbar sympathetic ganglion blocks last

Usually for a few hours or more...that is why they are done in a series if it helps relieve some of the pain for you..Then they have you do anywhere from 2-4...even up to 10 of this particular type nerve block as it's risks are pretty low..

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-19-2010, 06:24 PM   #3
(male)

quad4 HB User

Have you had one done?

Old 02-19-2010, 06:27 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

Ilovemycutedog HB UserIlovemycutedog HB UserIlovemycutedog HB UserIlovemycutedog HB UserIlovemycutedog HB UserIlovemycutedog HB UserIlovemycutedog HB UserIlovemycutedog HB UserIlovemycutedog HB UserIlovemycutedog HB UserIlovemycutedog HB User

I have cervical issues and have lots of epidural steroid injections as well as facet joint injections over the years...I have also just learned a lot of the procedures as my PM and I are friends outside of our Dr. appts so pick his brain a lot...haha...

I hope they work for you!!

Old 02-20-2010, 07:50 AM   #5
(male)

quad4 HB User

Some people say you can a week, month, maybe longer pain relief? Any truth in
that?

Old 02-20-2010, 11:29 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

feelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB User

can i ask exactly why your doc ordered an actual symp block instead of the standard type of basic nerve block? is there some suspiscion of possible RSD here or have you actually ended up with some level of real sympathetic nervous system damage from injury or surgery? i have had this type of block done many times for my RSD crap? the actual block itself lasts around 6-8 hours actually, or that is how long it will block all actual sympathetic nervous system signals from going to the blocked area. but the benefits from this can impact and last for weeks depending upon why the block is being done either for pain control or as a diagnosic for symp generated types of pain syndromes. these blocks help bring down my deep inner knee burning pretty well for at least a little while on a good one.

just knowing what your reason is or situation is that is prompting this particular type of block would help alot to help you here. i have a damaged sympathetic from my symp chain being hit during a surgery done on my spinal cord. this wonder creates some really insane things to occur in ones body along with the gift of RSD that i now have in my R knee on down thru my foot. any info you can give would help. good luck with the block. marcia

Old 02-20-2010, 04:41 PM   #7
(male)

quad4 HB User

CHIEF COMPLAINT: He has persistent left-sided low back pain radiating all
the way down my left leg including the left hip.

HISTORY OF PRESENT ILLNESS: Patient is a quadriplegic with history of
spinal cord injury at C5-6 after a motor vehicle accident in 1977.
Sensory is spared. He has persistent low back pain radiating all the way
down left leg including the hip. He was taken cared of By Dr. Espelin
from MAPS in the early '90s. Patient claims that he had a rhizotomy
performed which tested for about 5 to 6 years. An intrathecal baclofen
pump was also introduced sometime in 2002, but his pain persists. More
recent, he had several epidural and hip injections by Dr. Kowalkowski
sometime last December but without significant pain relief.

PAST MEDICAL HISTORY: There is a right trochanteric fracture with
pseudbarthrosis and nonunion. There is moderate to advanced joint space
narrowing involving the weight bearing portion of both hips in addition
to diffuse osteopenia.

PAST SURGICAL HISTORY: Status post C5-6 cervical spine fusion and
status post placement of a Baclofen intrathecal pump.

IMAGING FINDINGS: Previous MR of the cervical spine shows C5-6 anterior
interbody body fusion. In addition, there are myelo-malacic changes of the
cord.

IMPRESSION: Patient is quadriplegic due to C5~ cord injury status
post anterior interbody fusion, with persistent left-sided low back pain
radiating all me way down me left leg including the left hip which could
be due to reflex sympathetic dystrophy not responding to
conservative treatment.

RECOMMENDATION: Sympathetic nerve block, left. I do not think that the
patient would be a good candidate for rhizotomy since there is a radicular
component down to the leg. Patient was referred to Dr. Sam Elghor for
further management.

Thanks,
Allan

Old 02-21-2010, 11:25 AM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

feelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB User

wow, what a small world. i too see doc E. great caring doc. where did you go for rehab post accident? i was in bethesda in st paul for a while. just how long ago was that MRI that states you have the myelomalacia changes going on at your c 5-6? that is granulaizing of tissue that was damaged in some way. its how the cord reacts and gets rid of tissue that kind of 'died off' from injury or constant compression being on the cord itself? just wondering if that is a new finding or was there more right after your injury was done to it? so they now think that you have RSD? just what does your pain feel like to you? do you have ANY temp change in the pain areas like hotter than normal or colder than normal to the touch, and not the more 'perceptionary" crap that just comes from having cord damage? that is usually one biggie with RSD, any stronger temp change in the impacted area? do you get the 'deep hot and deep cold' burning pain inside the area?

what is seriously so strange with my RSD is my spinothalamic tract was severely damaged and i was told that i would never ever actiulaly 'feel' any pain on my R side from level of my c 8 nerve level injury or feel hot or cold, yet i still have good solid sensory there? then out of the freaking blue one sunday i started to feel a very very deep tiny little burn inside my knee that within an hours time just exploded with insane burning and these horrid shoots of pain and like electricity going into my foot to the bottom then up arond my toes back to my ankle. that very DAY was the onset of my RSD.

the ONLY reason i even feel that at all is it comes from the sympathetic damage alone and not the 'normal" nerves that innervate it at all. so it really IS kind of its own pain process that is maintained and fed from the symp damage signals going to it. what they are going to be doing here with YOUR symp block being ordered is to try and block ALL symp signals that just go down that area from getting into it and gage any changes in your pain in there? if your pain goes away at all it kind of tells them that this just IS some form of a sympathetically maintained pain syndrome. but some people will not 'always' actually have a good blocked effect with the blocks either, but it does not actually always mean in a very definitive way that this is NOT a symp fed type of pain process at all in some(this is why they changed the actual name of RSD to complex regional pain syndrome or CRPS?). there are other indicators too that they will be watching for while you are actually blocked. the blocks really do help with my crap there but they usually don't last long enough? i have found i get alot more real relief from using my TENS unit for the flares? i have tried every med under the sun to try and rein this in but have had horrid reactions/side effects from he** with just about all of them or they simply would not work at all for me. lyrica actually did work pretty well and was the ONLY med that actually touched the RSD and another pain syndrome i have from that very same thalamic tract damage called "central pain syndrome"? its about the same in a bad way as having the RSD. but lyrica did work for me but those side effects were the absolute worst i have ever had with any med i have tried so far and i had to go off. that really bummed me out since it really did help with alot of what IS RSD components.but if you have not yet tried lyrica for your pain,it really should be tried. some people take this and have not real side effects and good relief. i just seem to react to ALOT of different types of meds.

but if you can answer the questions i asked about how your pain feels and what you may also be seeing happening in that affected area too it would really help alot for me to try and help you. i really am so sorry about what landed you in the body you have now. i do know some of what you are dealing with. the only true reason i even had my surgery in my cord was to actually prevent what you are forced to deal with right now and for way too many years. i just know my situation could have ended up much worse and am thankful for what i still was able to get back with alot of acute rehab and still have. i just wish it didn't hurt sooo freaking badly. but i AM here if you need me quad, Marcia

Old 02-21-2010, 02:06 PM   #9
(male)

quad4 HB User

Burning, stabbing, firing. Creates a problem for my sitting because of the
pressure on the nerve. Which I beleive it is my sciatic nerve.

I am from St. Cloud where are you from?

Thanks,
Allan

Old 02-22-2010, 11:07 AM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

i am wondering if this symp block that is planned would actually 'do" anything for you if it is indeed stemming from the sciatic? but you could also have a combo of things from any cord level injury that could also include the symp damage you more than likely also suffered from the impact of the level of your very severe injury in the area where that actual stellate ganglion just sits within the neck area? it sits on both sides of the trachea up in the neck. this is where they do the stellate ganglion injections when they suspect a possible symp pain syndrome in the upper extremities? i had one done there initially when doc E was trying to just see if what was dxed as my central pain syndrome in my arm and across both shoulder blades was also being symp fed as well? it wasn't at all. do you have any vasomotor malfunction to your legs, this would be a bloodflow issue that is underlying with RSD? is there any real swelling going on in that pain area at all or any of the other signs and symptoms i asked about in the other post above here? just knowing the answers to the specific questions would help.

there are just some very key and more specific types of signs and symptoms when an area is being impacted by some level of symp damage and creates a pain syndrome. but considering everything, getting this to either rule it in or out should be done at this point. have they tried basic selective nerve blocks like on that sciatic nerve to see if this IS the correct nerve that is just firing off signals? where exactly was the rhizotomy done in reference to spinal level nerves? is your most severe pain then just from that low back/butt area on down one leg or both?

the one thing that really is somewhat confusing here for me is that you DO appear from what you have stated that your sensory was indeed maintained(is that a 'total' or partial sensory to your body?) and yet you are unfortunely a quad? was your injury up there a 'complete' or somewhat partial/incomplete here with at least "some' level of cord that was not completely damaged? thats what it kind of sounds like just given the very dramatic losses but still somehow having sensory preservement, ya know what i mean? it just really sounds highly unusual given the high level of your c 5 injury and quad status. in some cases, and believe me i KNOW how this feels, having not lost that sensory component is kind of a crappy thing in that it is what is even allowing you to even feel what you have been suffering with for sooo long now. i know just based upon the losses i have, along with of three spinal tracts being damaged and my sympathetic blasted along with alot of fine motor losses in my L hand, its the fact that these areas are 'only' damaged that creates the pain hell and other crappy stuff to even be there vs the total losses? i did lose my left leg completely there for awhile and any real use of my left hand too, but i am wayyy appreciative of just having some amazing people who helped me rehab some of that back after i thought it was gone forever. believe me i am in no way here trying to minimize your true damage and what hell you have had to deal with and live with at all and the HUGE total impact this sudden type of injury just has on everything in your life, just looking at what even allows us to actually 'feel' what gets created from any real cord damage and the other components that just 'can' also be included. i really do feel for you allen. your situation just is very unusual for anyone who ends up in your current status from cord injury that severe. by the way, i live in more the south of the metro.

so when is that block actually scheduled for? i do hope the symp block will at least lessen some pain with the blocks. you just never really know what is the overall make up of this type of pain process until you start really trying to identify ALL contributing components to it that just keeps feeding and firing to it. have you ever actually tried using the lidocaine patches like right OVER that area where you sit, or also over where that pain begins with that sciatic at all? in some cases, and i use these things ALL the time when my central flares or in other areas too, you can sometimes actually create your own real nerve block depending upon more of how much fatty tissue is underneath that skin area where that nerve sits? i do not weigh a whole lot right now only because my body went into the 'fight or flight' mode(defensive) like the second they hit my symp chain during my surgery? and i have been 'stuck' in this mode since then. what i did NOT know at the time was that when a persons body goes into that mode at all, it also amps up the overall metabolism to an insane level. i have lost all body fat and cannot gain any weight to even litterally save my own a**. so hitting some actual nerve has in some cases, just because my nerves are way too close to my skin now, has created real nerve blocks in certain areas. really bizarre let me tell ya. i don't know what i would do without my lido patches right now. too scarey. if you have not tried the lidos allen i really would start trying different places with these. sometimes you can get some really great relief from them. have you tried a TENS unit at all or different types of meds in the pump you have like maybe prialt? marcia

Old 02-24-2010, 11:32 PM   #11
(male)

Myofascial Pain HB UserMyofascial Pain HB User

Ok I've had trigger point injections, cortisone shots, basal branch nerve blocks, and radio frequency ablations... can someone tie all this is in with sympathetic ganglion blocks vs basic nerve blocks so I can get a clearer perspective on all this?

Old 02-25-2010, 04:46 PM   #12
(female)

Punkin2010 HB User

I wished that I knew,I go for my first one March.4,2010.I'm really scared..

Old 02-26-2010, 10:15 AM   #13
Senior Veteran
(female)

sorry i don't have alot of time here or i would get more in depth for ya. if you read thru the first thru the latest posts on this thread, it kind of explains just what it axctually blocks? it is only blocking ANY real sympathecally generated types of signals from entering an area that is suspected of actually having something like RSD which COMES from having some level of sympathetic nervous system damage. its used as a diagnostic tool for that reason and it is also what helps me to try and calm down MY RSD pain that runs thru from my R knee on down thru my foot. but this particular type of block will ONLY block symp signals and NO actual spinal nerve signals like the 'nerve blocks" actually do? that is the main difference between the two blocks you asked about. if you need anymore info MP, just ask.

punkin, do your docs suspect that you actually have RSD or the newer name CRPS? that would really be the only reason that they would do an actual symp block vs a nerve block on any given area? what are your ongoing symptoms in the area they want to do the symp block on? Marcia

Old 02-27-2010, 05:47 AM   #14
(male)

Myofascial Pain HB UserMyofascial Pain HB User

Thanks for the info feelbad!

So sympathetic pain... is that like pain that radiates from trigger points??

By the way I don't know if you caught my post in the other thread but great news!

I was able to schedule my first Myofascial Release 2 days following my appointment for my physical therapy assessment next month

Old 02-27-2010, 09:56 AM   #15
Senior Veteran
(female)

no MP, any real sympathetically manitained or fed types of actual pain or pain processes are strictly from real damage done somewhere within that sympathetic nervous system. what you have with myo pain IS from pain/nerve signals shooting out to what is now very overly tightened fascia that just is like one huge spider web like covering that actually runs from the brain on down thru our toes in one really crazy type of interconnected 'sheet"? it wraps around ALL muscle, organs and even blood vessels. i too have some pretty heavy duty myo pain. it took a really amazing therepist who started my myofascial release therepy(over two years ago now) to actually totally get rid of the ugly and humongous TPs i had that two of were there under my shoulder blade for well over ten freaking years.

i am really happy you found a good myo release therepist. the key here with any good myo release therepist is experiece in just doing it. mine had been doing this for well over 18 years when i started. he also does whats called craniosacral therpy too. i too had many many like hundreds of TP injections over many years that really did nothing at all for my level of radiating damage to my muscle in my upper back and neck. i hope this therepy works for you like mine did/is. i will try and get to YOUR thread here since this IS someone elses. but i am kinda out of time today here. good luck, marcia

Closed Thread