It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pain Management Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-19-2010, 03:58 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

schao HB User
Question on pain medication strength....

Hi all,

I was taking 10 mg (6 times a day) oxycodone..10/325, and MSIR 15 mg (5times a day).

I finally got switched to a LA med. So now I am taking Oxycontin 30 mg (2 times a day), and the MSIR 15 mg (up to 5 a day) for BT pain.

My question is..how much stronger is the oxycodone SA 10/325 vs. the Oxycontin 30 mg twice a day?

Thanks for your help!
schao

Old 02-19-2010, 04:52 PM   #2
Veteran
(female)

Madison104 HB UserMadison104 HB UserMadison104 HB User
Re: Question on pain medication strength....

Hi, I bet Ex will be along to answer this. I wish I knew the answer for you. How is your pain control? I hope you are doing okay...
Madison

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-19-2010, 05:35 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

Ilovemycutedog HB UserIlovemycutedog HB UserIlovemycutedog HB UserIlovemycutedog HB UserIlovemycutedog HB UserIlovemycutedog HB UserIlovemycutedog HB UserIlovemycutedog HB UserIlovemycutedog HB UserIlovemycutedog HB UserIlovemycutedog HB User

Oxycontin is the brand name for the time released...also known as Long Acting medicine with Oxycondone as the opiate...(so the exact opiate medicine as what you were taking)

You were taking the Oxycodone 10mg mixed with the Acetaminophen...(brand name known as Percocet)...

So if you were taking 60mg total each day of the oxycodone..you are now getting the same amount in the 30mg Oxycontin twice a day...

It is just going to be time released as in the first half released immediately when you take the pill..then usually 6 hours later the other half releases...

It is usually perscribed at the start at 12 hr intervals which works fine for a lot of people but can be adjusted to every 8 hrs if needed (by Dr.s orders)...

So..sorry to be confusing..but to sum it up..you are getting the same amount just minus the Tylenol/Acetaminophen..

I happen to love this combo as your Dr. will say you can take some tylenol if needed or Advil and I like having the choice...instead of having it automatically..

The time released should also help give you more even pain control throughout the day and not the highs/lows with the immediate release meds...

Hope this works well for you!

Last edited by Ilovemycutedog; 02-19-2010 at 05:37 PM.

Old 02-19-2010, 08:17 PM   #4
Inactive
(male)

Executor HB UserExecutor HB UserExecutor HB UserExecutor HB UserExecutor HB UserExecutor HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by schao View Post
My question is..how much stronger is the oxycodone SA 10/325 vs. the Oxycontin 30 mg twice a day?
The short acting Oxycodone is packaged with Tylenol to increase it's pain fighting power. When you take a short acting med, it's immediately released and your blood plasma level (BPL) spikes. Then, the the BPL almost immediately declines....If you were to graph it, it would look like a "7" face down.....A spike in BPL that goes straight up and then declines on an angled line.

When you take the med again, the same thing happens. SA meds work great in the short run, but really aren't meant to be taken continuously throughout the day over the long run. This is what is known as the "ups and downs" of taking SA meds. Your Doc put you on a LA med to prevent this from happening.

Conversely, LA meds keep your BPL more stabilized. In fact, Purdue Pharma publishes in their white prescribing paper that 10mg of OC taken every 12 hours results in a higher BPL than 10mg of Oxycodone taken every 12 hours. Same qty of Oxycodone, but the OC results in higher BPL because it's consistent, releasing approximately 5mg of Oxy every 6 hours.

You'll probably find that the less up & downs not only helps with the consistent pain fighting, but also makes you feel better in general. Ups & downs can cause mini WDs in between doses. If needed, you could always add some OTC Tylenol if you find the OC doesn't work quite as well. However, you certainly didn't need all the Tylenol (6 x 325) day in and day out. Even though you were below the warning threshold, no one really knows the effects of taking Tylenol in heavy doses on a regular basis. There are many pain fighting alternatives out there and your Doc did a good job of switching you to one of them.

Hope this helps and best of luck to you.

Regards,

Ex

Old 02-20-2010, 08:58 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

schao HB User

Thank you all so much for the replies! I understand everything perfectly now. My doctor explains everything to me..but I always know when I come to the boards I can understand what my doctor tells me just that much better.

Have a great night all!
schao

Old 02-20-2010, 09:09 PM   #6
Inactive
(male)

Executor HB UserExecutor HB UserExecutor HB UserExecutor HB UserExecutor HB UserExecutor HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by schao View Post
Thank you all so much for the replies! I understand everything perfectly now. My doctor explains everything to me..but I always know when I come to the boards I can understand what my doctor tells me just that much better.
You're very welcome.

The one thing I find that hardly any Doctor does, is explain the difference between LA and SA meds in terms of reducing the "ups and downs" or mini WDs. In fact, WDs in general are almost like "taboo" in PM....No one talks about them, even though they are a huge part of PM and CP.

I guess it's because many tend to associate WD with addiction and therefore, don't ever talk about it. However, in the proper use of PM, WDs are a factor and definitely associated with "physical dependance." Heck, even physical dependance isn't talked about. IMHO, it's like the elephant in the room that no one wants to address. It's important, however, because along with the day-to-day CP that one may experience, it's a big issue that needs to be factored in to make sure one feels ok.

Take care,

Ex

Old 02-23-2010, 09:53 AM   #7
Veteran
(male)

Leo123 HB UserLeo123 HB User

Well just a question about an LA med such as Oxycontin 80mg giving you less highs and lows then say a qty: 8 of the 10mg oxy ir's.

If as people say when you take oxycontin 80mg, that immediatley 40mg is released into your system and then some amount of hours later such as lets say 5 hours the other 40mg is released all at once. (Which I don't beleive this to be true, based on taking all sorts of variations of oxycodone and no oxycontin works as good as the immediate released)

Anyways if this where true then you could theoretically take 4 of the 10mg OXYIR (Or 1 30mg and 1 10mg) and then 4 - 5 hours later take the another 40mg of OXYIR and you would acheive the same exact Blood Plasma Levels as you would taking the Oxycontin 80mg only at a very small fraction of the price. (I get Qty: 180 of 30mg OXYIR for $118.00, cash price, and Qty: 60 of 80mg Oxtcontin costs like over $600.00)

What I'm saying is I don;t beleive that for one minute, that LA meds work like that, cause if they did if I took an 80mg Oxycontin I should feel an immediate waive of releif from the 40mg that are released immediately, just as I would taking 40mg of OXYIR. But I can tell you that when I take 40mg of OXYIR, i feel way more releif than one 80mg Oxycontin.

There is just no way that when you take it that 40mg is released right away and that 4 - 5 hours later another 40mg is released right away, if that were true or even the intent of the drug then why just not continue taking short Acting Meds at a fraction of the price every 4 - 5 hours. Why cause instead of taking 2 doses every 8 hours, you only have to take one dose (Woppee!). Thats not worth paying 4 - 12 times more in cost than just poping two doses every 8 hours..

i hope you guys get what i'm saying, I;m going to look online into the mechanics of how Oxycontin work, but if its not working in a method were it's continually being slowly released into your system over the period of however many hours, than its just not worth the cost and there is no way it would be any better at keeping your blood plasma levels (leveled) than the short acting based on just taking a SA med every 4 - 5 hours just like Oxycontin immediate releases half the med upon ingestion and then immediately releasing the other half 4 - 5 hours later.

I hope I wrote that clearly, let me know if you have any questions, but i'm sure you see my point.

Last edited by Leo123; 02-23-2010 at 09:59 AM.

Closed Thread