It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pain Management Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-27-2010, 04:15 PM   #1
Inactive
(female)

writeleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB User
Morphine, Dilaudid, and Percoset

My question is:

What will the repercussions be from two weeks on these medications, 24/7?
Will I experience withdrawals from these medications, and any suggestions you have on lessening the after effects?

A little background...

On February 14, I was struck with intense pain in my lower right pelvic area. This is a pain I have experienced before, but this time is was really bad. I limped along until Wednesday, thinking it would go away, like it always had in the past...but it did not.

By 2:00 am the pain was excruciating, and I was off to the ER. I was administered morphine, 6-10 mg for pain, ans was sent home with Percoset for use at home. The percoset did not hold the pain, so I was back in the ER less than 12 hours later. By now, the pain had intensified and I was admitted to the hospital for pain control, and tests. While there, I was being treated with morphine every two hours. 3 days later, and with no diagnosis, I was sent home with more Percoset and Dilaudid for breakthrough pain.

At this writing, I have had been consuming this pain med combo 24 hours a day for almost two weeks, plus the 7 days of morphine in the hospital. Although I was incorrectly diagnosed twice, with pancratitis, and then with diverticulitis, the final diagnosis was severe endometrosis.

Yesterday I was treated for the endo with an injections of 11.25 gr Lupron Depot, (which is itself a scary drug) which happened to cost $2,000.00 (insurance wouldn't cover it). The relief from pain will come down the road sometime (I hope), and until then I am instructed to continue the pain regimine.

I have stage 4 Kidney failure, and other health issues which make me all the more concerned in taking so much medication.

Thank you for your insight.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-28-2010, 09:55 AM   #2
Veteran
(female)

Madison104 HB UserMadison104 HB UserMadison104 HB User
Re: Morphine, Dilaudid, and Percoset

Those are very potent pain meds and I would think that you could have some dependence on them. IF any of us are taken off our pain meds, I think a slow taper is necessary. Are you out of meds? What are you supposed to do for pain treatment?
I think it is the tylenol that is the problem for our livers. If you have concerns please call your doctor and make sure you get an appt. so that you are not left feeling withdrawals.

Let us know..
Madison

Old 02-28-2010, 11:06 AM   #3
Inactive
(female)

writeleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB User

Madison,

Thank your for your response. I have 3 dilaudid left, and probably 50 percoset. I was thinking about dropping the dilaudid, as of now...leaving the 3 for "just in case", and continue on with the percoset. I am hoping that I can then wean off the percoset. Any idea of how to taper off the Percoset? There is a good chance that the pain will decrease signifigantly, now that I have had the shot. Fingers crossed...

I was also given a prescription for Ultram/Tramadol 50mg that I have not yet used. I am not familiar with this med, but I understand it is less powerful than the percoset. Of course, the doctors that prescribed these meds are connected to the hospital, not my personal doctors, which I have plenty of. I will consult them for sure...but I do appreciate the experienced advice of folks who are really are dealing with this.

Thanks again

Old 02-28-2010, 01:09 PM   #4
Veteran
(female)

What have you been taking daily for the percocet and what is the strength again?
Maybe I can be of more help that way.

I once weaned off oxycontin and I did that in 30 days after being on it for almost a year.

I will help you if I can
Madison

Old 02-28-2010, 01:59 PM   #5
(female)

rose4me HB Userrose4me HB User

I was on dilaudid - 2 units, every three hours for two weeks (I.V. injection) for acute pancreatitis. They did not wean me off of it, but went straight to oral hydrocodone 725 2 tabs, every four hours.(this was after dismissal from the hospital) I experienced no real issues from the sudden cessation of the dilaudid meds. However, the hydrocodone was not enough for the post acute pancreatitis episode and I did have a gall bladder surgery on day 11 of the hospital stay. I could of used some stronger meds. My husband though is one of those folks, who is overly anxious about being addicted to pain meds. He has no idea I believe of the real issues of pain management. I was on hydrocodone for a year for cervical injuries from an auto accident and am beginning once again to experience extreme discomfort. Bummer. I need to go the ortho spine doc soon.
I have read that dilaudid is easier to 'not' get addicted to than say the percoset.
Hope this helps
Rose

Old 02-28-2010, 02:15 PM   #6
Inactive
(female)

Madison,

The current dosage of Percoset is 10-325. I have been consuming 6 pills a day.

I took my last Dilaudid at 4:40 am. AS of now, I am holding on the Percoset alone...for 8 hours.
Thanks for your help.

Rose,

It is the Percoset that I am most concerned with...Thanks for your suport!

Old 02-28-2010, 03:15 PM   #7
Veteran
(female)

I would try to cut out ONE percocet per day for a week. Then 2 a day for a week..and then 3 a day for a week. IF you find that this is too fast, go 1/2 a pill for a week then one pill a day for a week, then 1-1/2 pills a day for a week and so on and so forth.

Someone may come along with more information. I think a SLOW taper is very important, and you will know how you are feeling which will help to guide you as well.

Just to mention, where you stopped the dilaudid, you may want to start your taper next week on the percocet, because you may need your full dose to carry you from stopping the dilaudid.

Old 02-28-2010, 08:04 PM   #8
Veteran
(female)

bullymom HB Userbullymom HB User

Hello writeleft, So sorry your going through this. Endometriosis can be sooooo painful I didn't know the shot was that expensive. One of my daughters may have to have one at some point and I will keep that in mind.

My question is, does your kidney doctor know that they have you on the percocet? While 10/325 is a lower dose of tylenol, when you have kidney disease to that degree, I don't really know if any tylenol is safe?? If he doesn't know, it might be a good idea to check with him and see if it's ok to continue using it or maybe he could change it to some plain oxycodone.

I hope that million dollar shot kicks in quickly. Take Care,

Bullymom

Old 02-28-2010, 08:44 PM   #9
Inactive
(female)

Boxerluver HB UserBoxerluver HB UserBoxerluver HB UserBoxerluver HB UserBoxerluver HB UserBoxerluver HB UserBoxerluver HB UserBoxerluver HB User

Hey Write, I had severe endometriosis and was given Lupron, although I was on the med for months. It didn't do anything for me and I ended up having an emergency hysterectomy. So I know how painful it is.

I agree with Bullymom, check with your nephrologist to see what his thoughts are. If you are not on a regular pain management program, I don't see why the docs won't help you taper when the time comes. I would see if he's OK with you continuing the percocet until the shot kicks in and your pain abates. Then you could start to taper off with your docs help. I don't think it should be long or hard to taper as you have not been on them for too long a time.

Melyssa

Old 02-28-2010, 10:39 PM   #10
Inactive
(female)

My nephrologist ok'd the use of endocet, (which is the actual medication I am taking) in previous occasions. when short term pain relief has been needed. During this recent bout of pain, he was out of town, and I will confer with him tomorrow.

As of today, I have taken 42 doses of endocet, 6 per day...which by tomorrow I hope to get down to 4 doses epr day.

This is the point where the Ultram was meant for...to alternate with the Endocet, once the Dilaudid was ending. In other words, every three hours, a Endocet, every three hours, an Ultram.

In the best case scenario, the pain should be subsiding from the endometriosis, making that regime necessary for only a day or two, then tapering back to Endocet only, every 6 hours...etc.

I do have an appointment with my primary at 10:30 am, where I will go over this, and hopefully have a phone conference with my nephrologist while I am there...

The one advantage I have, is that I am quite used to getting all my doctors in the loop, and everybody knows what everybody else is doing. The last thing I want to do is further damage my kidneys, pushing me closer to dialysis.

There always is the chance that the Lupron will not work, like for Boxerluver...and if that is the case, the whole thing will have be re-examined.

Bullymom, I imagine it must be very painful to watch your daughter go through this ordeal. For whatever reason, it took me years to get mine diagnosed, in fact only last week, after it had gone so far! My own mother suffered for years with it, but didn't mention that to me until yesterday! She is from the generation where "we don't talk about such things". Really mom?

If you would had predicted three weeks ago thjat anything like this could happen, I would have laughed!

My best defense is going to be focusing on the positive, and having nice women like you sharing your experiences with me is a big positive! Thanks.

I also have a post going called "Lupron Depot- the $ 2,000.00 shot" on the Womens Health Board. I am documenting my experience with the shot, for others who may be going through this too.

Thanks again for all your insights.

Last edited by writeleft; 02-28-2010 at 10:40 PM.

Old 03-01-2010, 10:33 PM   #11
Inactive
(female)

To clear up.. Endocet is the medication I am taking, which is Percoset, made with acetaminophen, rather than tylenol.

When I told my doctor about the Lupron, he totally dis-agreed, and recommended a total hysterectomy. He said the Lupron would only be a temporary fix, if at all, and that the side effects would be very unpleasant.

Now I am pretty confused. Next step, I will confer with all my doctors, to see how likely surgery could be performed, if at all. What a nightmare! So glad to have others here who are going through this too. Thank you for you input!

Old 03-02-2010, 04:51 AM   #12
Veteran
(female)

[QUOTE=writeleft;4195800]To clear up.. Endocet is the medication I am taking, which is Percoset, made with acetaminophen, rather than tylenol.

When I told my doctor about the Lupron, he totally dis-agreed, and recommended a total hysterectomy. He said the Lupron would only be a temporary fix, if at all, and that the side effects would be very unpleasant.

Now I am pretty confused. Next step, I will confer with all my doctors, to see how likely surgery could be performed, if at all. What a nightmare! So glad to have others here who are going through this too. Thank you for you input![/QUOTE

Acetaminophen is tylenol. Percodan would be with aspirin if I am correct and then of course you can get percocet without anything added to that.

Old 03-02-2010, 05:51 AM   #13
Inactive
(female)

Madison,

You are right, of course Tylenol is Acetaminophen...Like I said, I am confused
The bottle says "Percocet, Tylnol". Thanks for straightening me out.

By the way (and I am sure of this), I have been able to cut back on the meds.
I am now taking the Endocet every 4 hours and Ultram every 6 hours. My next move is to cut back on the Endocet to 4 times a day, so I will be taking the med's alternating every 3 hours. I am so anxious to get back to life without pain medication!

Thank you for your help, and support. Have a great day...

Last edited by writeleft; 03-02-2010 at 05:53 AM.

Old 03-18-2010, 01:54 PM   #14
(male)

tata616 HB User

Slow taper if you can as much or as little as you can. I was down to 1/2 a pill and also used LYRICA to offset WD's. Also in my experience 4mg Dilaudid is a lot stronger than 5mg of Oxycodone. It is a very effective drug for intense pain but Dilaudid last's me only about 2 hours and I am prone to getting bad headaches from it.

Old 03-19-2010, 06:21 AM   #15
Senior Veteran
(male)

jonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB User

After only 2 weeks, the withdrawl symptoms would be mild ti non existant, you could pobably stop over 3 days without too much discomfort.

Closed Thread