It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pain Management Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-28-2010, 06:39 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

schao HB User
Has the use of Opiods given anyone Restless Legs?

Hi,

I've been on opiods for 3 years, and suddenly out of nowhere I am getting the symptoms of Restless Legs. Last night when I laid down my legs were twitching everywhere and then suddenly from my head to my toes I was twitching..I have no idea what is causing this.

Sound familiar to anyone?

Thanks,
schao

Old 03-01-2010, 11:36 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

schao HB User
Re: Has the use of Opiods given anyone Restless Legs?

Nobody at all? Maybe it's one of my other meds then.
Would there be any other meds that would cause Resless Legs Syndrome?

Thanks,
Sherrie

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-01-2010, 01:43 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

Ilovemycutedog HB UserIlovemycutedog HB UserIlovemycutedog HB UserIlovemycutedog HB UserIlovemycutedog HB UserIlovemycutedog HB UserIlovemycutedog HB UserIlovemycutedog HB UserIlovemycutedog HB UserIlovemycutedog HB UserIlovemycutedog HB User

Hey Schao,

I had to stop taking Flexeril years ago because out of the blue..it started giving me restless legs...are you taking that? I never had a problem with it before and took it for at least 2 years...it was so strange that it happened all of a sudden..

I was prescribed that to help my sleep/muscle pain but now take Ambien which works perfectly for me to get 8 hours...

So...I guess it could be your opiates, but usually happens more with muscle relaxer type medication...

Sorry can't help more..just my experience..and hope you find answers as it is just awful to toss/turn with RLS...

Good luck..

Old 03-02-2010, 01:28 PM   #4
Veteran
(male)

Leo123 HB UserLeo123 HB User

Twitching in your legs is not restless leg syndrome.(RLS)

I have had weird twitches throughout my body from time to time. i don;t think it has anything to do with the opiods and its not restless leg syndrome.

I think you just experienced a bout of some twitching which can happen for a variety of reasons.

RLS is more along the lines of you just can't lay still, you legs get really anxious and you have to just get up and walk around because you can't lay in bed. Its like an anxiety of legs, an uncomfortable feeling in your legs and the person who get it feels like they just can keep there legs still because of this sensation they get in there legs. It does not mean the legs are moving by themselves from twitching.

Actually people who take opiates for pain who also have RLS, have said that the opiates help them with there restless legs and they are able to relax more and are not as bothered by it. So in fact opiates are actually good for people who have restless leg syndrome.

If I'm not mistaken opiates may actually be considered a treatment for severe cases of RLS.

I used to have RLS when I was young, it was so annoying.

Old 03-18-2010, 01:45 PM   #5
(male)

tata616 HB User

I have tingling in my feet for the last year and I have been taking OxyIr for the last year and then stopped a few months ago. I still have that buzz in my feet which can be annoying late at night in bed. I have mentioned it to my NS and he just gives me a blank look like "lets get an MRI started and go back in". So for now I am living with it.

Closed Thread