It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pain Management Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-04-2010, 09:15 AM   #1
(female)

Kelly0514 HB User
Spinal Cord Stimulation Recovery ?

Does anyone out there have a SCS? I'm going through the process to see if I'm eligible for the trial and have some questoins about the recovery time. I know everyone is different but wanted to see if anyone would share their experience.

How was the recovery and how long did it take to go back to normal after the trial and the perm implant? I live alone, will I need someone there 24-hours a day or will I be able to take care of myself for the most part?

How long until I can go back to work? I have an office job.

Was it sucessful for you? Were you able to cut back on the medications?

I have RSD in my foot which is the reason for the SCS interest.

Thanks in advance!

Old 03-04-2010, 10:15 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

AnnD HB UserAnnD HB User
Re: Spinal Cord Stimulation Recovery ?

It depends on where they put your implant. The implant was immediately successful as far as helping the pain in the back but couldn't decrease the pain medicines until the implant healed (placement was in the cheek of the buttock)...that took about a month...the pain of healing was quite intense but It was a pain of the healing process that he would do again just to have it help with the pain. He was then able to decrease his medicines to almost half so it was all worth it...it was a very slow decrease of his narcotics so as not to have any withdrawals and he decreased it until he could feel the pain then stopped. He was able to go back to work as soon as he could sit down and I would think that varied from one person to the other and you don't necessarily need anyone at home with you as you can walk and and drive. It was a day surgery so you will need someone to drive you home but after that you can manage on your own. I would think though you would want to have a stock of food for like a week or two so you didn't have to go out if you didn't want to. Good luck...also if you do a search on this site you will find old posts from many who also describe their experiences it is well worth your time to read.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-06-2010, 06:53 AM   #3
(female)

mcarr36 HB User
Re: Spinal Cord Stimulation Recovery ?

HI,

The trial is easy. I did two trials and have two SCS implants. My trials lasted 3 days and I did not go to work during the trials. Not having a shower was the worst part for me. I did not reduce the meds during the trials. My first SCS implant surgery took 8 weeks to have a full recovery. I was in a neck brace the entire recovery time after each surgery. My implants are cervical. (C4-5 and C1-2) The batteries are located on my sides. They press against my ribs and are very visable. After surgery, I needed help getting out of bed for a few days. The pain was bad for the first 2 weeks. I had a complete revision surgery a year later because of lead migration. That one was a little easier but the doctor still had me take off 8 weeks from work. Just about a year ago I had my 2nd SCS implanted for pain in my head. I was off of work for 9 weeks and the recovery was difficult. I was on a higher dose of meds during the first phase of my recovery. So here I am now and I do not regret the surgeries. I use both stims 24 hours a day and they help. They do not take away all of my pain. On a good day I get about 50% relief. I still get nerve blocks and I also get RFA procedures. I am on the same level of medication now that I started on 6 years ago. For me, that is ok. I am glad I have been able to avoid increasing the meds. I wish you the best of luck!

Melissa

Closed Thread