It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pain Management Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-04-2010, 01:16 PM   #1
(female)

punkinmansmom HB User
adenomyosis pain

I am 26 years old and the mother of 3 boys. I have adenomyosis diagnosed about a year ago. I am in pain about 85% of the time, and it's making me miserable. The doc says I need a hysterectomy but I am not ready for it. I really would like 1 more child but at this time my boyfriend says no (for multiple reasons). I'm afraid he might change his mind so I'm afraid to have it done yet. The cramping, horrible periods, excruciating pain at times...it's leading me into a dark place. I've been getting depressed b/c I feel so worthless as I am at times unable to do things around the house. I was prescribed vicodin a few months ago and it helped a bit, but since this is kind of a chronic pain issue I told my doc I didn't want narcotics b/c I can't afford to get addicted. As a mother and a nurse, it seems like a bad road to go down. Right now I am prescribed tramadol which helps some. Does anyone out there relate to this situation? I guess I'm asking for help in emotional dealing with the pain, and how as not to make everyone else around me miserable. Thank you for any help you can give.

Old 03-04-2010, 01:29 PM   #2
(female)

jdsun HB User
Re: adenomyosis pain

You have found the right person!!!

I am a chronic pain patient due to bad back, and I also suffered from adenomysis. I would wake up in the middle of the night with the worst cramps. Due to my back, I was already taking high doses of daily narcotics. That would not even touch the pain. I would also bleed very heavily....to the point where I almost could not leave my house for a day or so.

Anyway, I did end up getting a hysterectomy. BUT....I am 36, have two beautiful children, and no desire to have any more. My husband had his "procedure" a few years back . I have to say that I an soooo happy I had the surgery. I cannot even begin to express the relief I have every month! I had the surgery 4 months ago, and I have to say, this past month I did experience some VERY slight cramps. They felt more like an upset stomach than actual cramps. My OBGYN said it is normal to experience minor mentrual symptoms.

I wish I could offer you a solution that would help your problem, besides a hysterectomy. Well, actually my OBGYN did offer the IUD implant to try and help if I chose to not get the hysterctomy. He said the hormones sometimes will help with the cramping, but it is only temporary.

You might want to post on the Womans Health Board. You will probably get more suggestions there. One last thing, I did want to touch on the whole narcotic addiction thing. There are many studies out there that show that less than 5% of chronic pain patients actually get a true addiction to narcotics. Yes, anyone who takes them for a period of time will get physically dependant on them, but that is NOT addiction. I had the same fears as you, and was sent to a pain psychologist. He helped me see thorugh all the social preconceived notions about pain killers.

Anyway, I wish you the best of luck. ANd please, check of the Womans Health Boards.

Jdsun

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-04-2010, 03:38 PM   #3
(female)

Angelique43 HB User
Re: adenomyosis pain

punkinmansmom,
Hi, i saw your post & i want you to know that my heart goes out to you. I can very much relate to what you're going through as i went through years of the very same thing with the very painful cramping, extremely heavy bleeding, extended long periods that didnt want to end, the passing of some pretty big blood clots while on my period, having to stay home for weeks at a time due to very heavy bleeding, etc. My Dr didn't actually put a name on my condition as to what was going on but after several vaginal & pelvic ultrasounds, & a biopsy he told me that i needed to sit down with my husband & have a heart to heart with him as my Dr said that sometime in the near future that i would need to either have a hysterectomy or , what he prefered i do, was to have a procedure done that would stop my periods. The procedure was called the "Novasure". This was very scary to me & i was also devastated by it because i wanted one more child. I thought about putting off what my Dr had told me, just long enough to try to have my one last child but when i discussed this with my Dr he advised strongly against it , telling me that if i were to try to have another child that i would probably bleed to death. I dont say this to scare you but if this is what your thinking please consult your Dr about it first. See, i was in the exact same boat as you are, i was trying to convince my husband of having a child with me before it was too late because my husband didnt want any children. His mind was pretty made up. I already had 2 other children from a previous marriage, a daughter, who died in 1989 & a 18 yr son. But no children with my new husband & he had none of his own either so it was sorta my dream. But my Dr advised against it & i ended up having the Novasure procedure done in April of last year. After my procedure i did have a few periods afterwards but this is normal & they were so light that all i needed was to wear a panty liner. After a few months my periods stopped altogether. I can tell you that i do not miss those rotten periods but i am trying to deal with the depression of not being able to ever have anymore children. I havent been handling this so well. I can only speak for myself but for me this has been exceptionally hard as for me a woman's power & pride was all about the ability to give birth. And this has been taken away from me. Its very hard to deal with. But i just wanted you to know that you are not alone & that i can relate. I hope that this helps in some small way. I will pray for you. Take care.

Closed Thread