It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pain Management Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-07-2010, 12:05 AM   #1
(male)

ing2724 HB User
is vicodin more effective than tramadol

im having back pain, the hospital prescribed me vicodn, i went to fill my prescription, and i lost it, i have tramadol, im in alot of pain, will it work the same

Old 03-07-2010, 11:18 AM   #2
Veteran
(female)

bullymom HB Userbullymom HB User
Re: is vicodin more effective than tramadol

ING:

There was a post intitled, "difference between vicodin and tramadol" It was started Feb of 08. Has about 4 responses, and you might want to have a look at it.

I have never taken tramadol, but many have that come here. Some like it and others don't.

My feeling is, it's at least better than advil or alleve, so I would certainly give it a try. Did you call the hospital and inquire if you had left your prescription there?

Good luck and I hope you get some relief. Also, there are some folks that are of the opinion that you never report a lost or stolen prescription. If this is rare for you to use controlled meds, a phone call probably won't hurt especially if you DON'T ask for a replacment script.

Bullymom

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-07-2010, 04:29 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

Ilovemycutedog HB UserIlovemycutedog HB UserIlovemycutedog HB UserIlovemycutedog HB UserIlovemycutedog HB UserIlovemycutedog HB UserIlovemycutedog HB UserIlovemycutedog HB UserIlovemycutedog HB UserIlovemycutedog HB UserIlovemycutedog HB User

If we could find out a bit more it would help...

Did you lose the actual pills after filling it? Or the prescription?

Is the Tramadol prescribed by the same Dr.? Either way..you need to call the Dr. who prescribed the Vicoden to let him know immediately that you lost the prescription and if it's ok to take the Tramadol they prescribed until they decide what to do..

If you don't have a good relationship with this Dr...some Dr.s will possibly think that you are diverting your meds.(they expect us to treat those prescriptions like gold..but accidents do happen)

that's why it's important to call asap to let them know before taking anything that your Dr. doesn't know about (as in he thinks you are taking the Vicoden)...

As far as the strength goes..they work in different ways..and Vicoden is tad bit stronger...but as Bullymom said..it's better than taking Advil...

Old 03-08-2010, 07:05 AM   #4
(female)

jenznjohn HB User

personally, i'm on vicodin for chronic back pain after a car accident. they tried me on tramadol before they put me on vicodin and it did little to help the pain. the vicodin is much stronger and relieves the pain for me, but it also for some reason makes me hurt worse the next morning when i wake up. i don't know how each affects you, but for me the vicodin works better. good luck, hope u feel better!

Old 03-08-2010, 07:22 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

nochange HB Usernochange HB Usernochange HB Usernochange HB Usernochange HB Usernochange HB Usernochange HB Usernochange HB Usernochange HB Usernochange HB Usernochange HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by jenznjohn View Post
personally, i'm on vicodin for chronic back pain after a car accident. they tried me on tramadol before they put me on vicodin and it did little to help the pain. the vicodin is much stronger and relieves the pain for me, but it also for some reason makes me hurt worse the next morning when i wake up. i don't know how each affects you, but for me the vicodin works better. good luck, hope u feel better!
Hello jenznjohn. really sory to hear about your car accident. I've also been in a car accident and since then never been the same.

tramadol did nothing for this horrific pain I'm experiencing. I have 2 bulging disks on my neck which doctors don't seem to understand how come so tiny bulging disks can make a person miserable. Do you also have slipping disks?.

Have you ever tried percocet?. That won't make you feel bad in the morning.

very possible later on in life you need to take oxycontin. That's how it usually goes. allrighty. all the best.

Last edited by nochange; 03-08-2010 at 07:22 AM.

Old 03-09-2010, 10:04 AM   #6
(female)

jenznjohn HB User

thank you for the advice. i actually have tried percocet and they do help more than the vicodin. unfortunately, where i live, it is almost impossible to get ANY doctor to even prescribe vicodin, much less percocet!! the doctor i'm seeing right now, until i can get into the neuro pain center, cut me down to less than half the amount i was taking before!! i can't get into the pain center until the end of november!! i was on 7.5/500 vicodin 1-2 every 4-6 hrs, now i'm on 5/325 vicodin 1 every 6-8 hrs!!! big difference!! i just don't know what to do anymore. i'm afraid to switch doctors again though because of how cautious they are of prescribing anything narcotic for pain. i'm afraid a new doctor won't prescribe anything. the non-narcotics just don't help me any. anyways, thanx for listening ;-)

Closed Thread