It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pain Management Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-11-2010, 10:25 AM   #1
Veteran
(female)

bullymom HB Userbullymom HB User
oxycodone shortage, is it still a problem?

I was thinking of discussing a change of med from percocet to an IR Oxycodone of some sort. I have had a slight increase in my liver enzymes, we will be checking it again this next appointment. Is the shortage of this product still an issue??

Thanks

Bullymom

Last edited by Administrator; 05-19-2010 at 12:12 PM.

Old 03-11-2010, 10:59 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Ilovemycutedog HB UserIlovemycutedog HB UserIlovemycutedog HB UserIlovemycutedog HB UserIlovemycutedog HB UserIlovemycutedog HB UserIlovemycutedog HB UserIlovemycutedog HB UserIlovemycutedog HB UserIlovemycutedog HB UserIlovemycutedog HB User
Re: oxycodone shortage, is it still a problem?

Hey Bullymom,

I take the OxyIR 5mg..up to 8 in a 24 hr period for a month's supply..and haven't had any problems in the state of VA getting them at Sam's Club...so maybe the Roxicodone in the 15 or 30 has other issues with them?

I actually like the 5mg since I can take as little or up to the 8 in a day if needed as my prescription is written with flexibility which I like having for higher/lower pain days..

As well as my year long bout with nausea disappeared after a week switching from Percocet...I guess after those years being on it..my tummy couldn't handle the acetaminohpen anymore...now I can add Advil if needed too..

Good luck

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-12-2010, 03:26 PM   #3
Veteran
(female)

thanks for the reply.

I didn't know what strength the IR came in but I love the idea of being able to take 2 5mg tablets if I need to. And funny you should mention it but I too have had a problem with tummy upsets lately. My fear was the oxycodone was probably causing the problem. Getting that kind of grinding type discomfort. I would love to be able to get rid of that problem too. Glad to hear there are no shortages anymore.

Thanks again,
Bullymom

Last edited by Administrator; 05-31-2011 at 02:20 PM.

Old 03-12-2010, 11:56 PM   #4
(female)

Angelique43 HB User

Hi bullymom! How are you?! I just noticed your post & thought i would respond to it since i too take oxycodone. I take Percocet 10/325 4x per day & for breakthrough pain i take oxycodone 15 mg every 6 hrs or as needed for pain. I live in Arizona & to my knowledge there hasn't been any problem with oxycodone shortages, atleast not at my pharmacy & i go to Walgreens. My Dr writes my scripts for 90 day supplies. So i get 360 of each med all at once. I'm not sure where you live but i hope this helps you! Take care & i hope that your doing well. God bless!

Old 03-13-2010, 12:47 PM   #5
Veteran
(female)

Hey Angelique,

Thanks for posting. Hope you're doing well friend. I think the shortages are no longer a problem. I will discuss the change with my doc. I take perc 10/325 also and have never had a problem getting that, just wasn't sure about the non tylenol products.

Hang in there, see ya around the boards

Bullymom

Last edited by Administrator; 05-19-2010 at 12:11 PM.

Old 03-13-2010, 12:51 PM   #6
(female)

Angelique43 HB User

Hey there bullymom! No problem, you're very welcome! I hope that you're doing good also. Take care & God bless!

Old 03-13-2010, 09:51 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

janiee08 HB Userjaniee08 HB Userjaniee08 HB Userjaniee08 HB Userjaniee08 HB Userjaniee08 HB Userjaniee08 HB User

I went to Florida last Christmas and had to get scripts filled for Oxycontin 20 and 40. There were some pharmacy's there that did not have one or the other. This by the way is in Central Florida. I was able to find one though; a Walgreen's. But some Walgreen's didn't have the Oxy. So, it seems to depend state to state? Here in Northeast Ohio, I never have a problem filling these scripts....janiee08

Old 03-13-2010, 11:30 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

AnnD HB UserAnnD HB User

I think there might be a shortage of the 30mg generic however, the Walmart pharmacist says there has never been a shortage of Brand name of Oxycodone. I had to go to another pharmacy for 30's because Walmart said that even if it was ordered they didn't know how much or when it would be in but they filled the large quantity of 5mg. So who knows perhaps it is just A Walmart problem?

Old 03-14-2010, 07:31 PM   #9
(female)

nancyjo HB User

Hi all--

bullymom, as you know, I was on generic percodan for three years until a couple of weeks ago. When I got my meds at Kroger, I always had to remind them to order the Percodan every month, which was just one more thing for my pea brain to have to keep up with!

When I switched to Publix, they always had the Percodan in stock. Then I was switched to 5mg IR oxy (Publix had in stock), then to 15mg IR oxy, (they didn't have enough to fill entirely, so I picked it up a few days later; I had plenty of 5mg so it was no problem).

While the 15mg can be a bit much if I take a whole one, it's awfully tiny to try and cut. Fortunately I have a pill cutter...and reading glasses to help me see the tiny pieces, lol.

Oh, I used to have problems getting Percodan at WalMart; most people use Percocet, but I had hepatitis as a kid and cannot take acetaminophen. As you experienced, Percocet can definitely elevate liver enzymes, which many people are not aware of. While I DO want to feel better NOW, I sure don't want to pay for it in a big way LATER in the form of liver or kidney damage! That is why I don't metabolize any sort of anxiety medication well: most of it is metabolized in the liver.

sorry to drone on...I hope you find what you need somewhere VERY convenient!

Closed Thread