It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pain Management Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-11-2010, 11:57 AM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

tattoogirl HB User
Insurance stopped covering Soma, help...

Well, went to get a refill on my Soma but the doctor's office just called and said that my insurance no longer covers it. And since, do to my disability, I receive state insurance, paying out of pocket is not an option. I have taken flexiril and Skelactin (sp?) in the past and Soma has worked the best with the least amount of side effects. Any suggestions for a comprable medication? So weird because I had filled it the 1st month of this year without an issue. It seems my insurance keeps dropping my meds, VERY frustrating, especially when you find something that helps with LITTLE side effects. They probably are gonna want to try me on things which seems to me more costly. Plus I am VERY sensitive to meds with having Bipolar as well. Help.
Thanks

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-11-2010, 12:19 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Ilovemycutedog HB UserIlovemycutedog HB UserIlovemycutedog HB UserIlovemycutedog HB UserIlovemycutedog HB UserIlovemycutedog HB UserIlovemycutedog HB UserIlovemycutedog HB UserIlovemycutedog HB UserIlovemycutedog HB UserIlovemycutedog HB User
Re: Insurance stopped covering Soma, help...

Sorry to hear about your situation...I have no insuance...so am on the least expensive meds for my chronic pain...I also drive across town to the Sam's Club since they are the least expensive out of all the chain stores and pharmacies around here...

For my muscle relaxer..I do take the Skelaxin..as for me..it has no side effects and no drowsiness..but I understand we are all different and you need to find what works..

My PM Dr. gives me enough Skelaxin samples for the month...so that is my whole point in rambling...haha..is to ask your Dr. if he has specific samples of one that you could get each month as you can tell them about your financial situation...

Robaxin is another muscle relaxer..and others can chime in for some other suggestions...

Good luck

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-12-2010, 12:50 PM   #3
(male)

oldbackbone HB User

Tizanadine (Zanaflex) worked almost as well as Soma for me.

Old 03-12-2010, 07:35 PM   #4
Veteran
(female)

bullymom HB Userbullymom HB User

Baclofen has worked best for me. It's an older med and does have a generic sub. Can't just stop taking it, have to taper off of it.

Good luck
Bullymom

Old 03-12-2010, 10:58 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

tattoogirl HB User

Hey all-Docs office called and said they called in Flexiril....was on in past and stopped because it increased my anxiety. Maybe it might be different this time. What's funny, well, not really funny, you aren't supposed to cold turkey Soma but just did eck! What's up with insurance companies, filling meds that have worked for you for years and then 1 day w/o warning, just stop! I guess they are looking for the most cost effective route but then going and trying different meds can't really be "cheap" either and what about the fact of side effects where sometimes other meds need to be taken to combat side effects of meds that need to be taken but aren't always the "best" (not sure if I explained that clearly :-)). Plus what about the cost to our bodies, our health, we aren't prescription garbage cans!

Old 03-13-2010, 08:56 PM   #6
Facilitator
(female)

SpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB User

Soma 250 mg was very expensive with my insurance so I asked for Soma 350 mg which is available in generic. Thus I'm paying much less for Soma 350. Soma does not cause me much sedation so the switch from 250 to 350, for me, resulted in some sedation effects for a few weeks but I eventually adjusted.

Old 03-14-2010, 05:08 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(male)

jonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB User

Costco pharmacies will do 100 tabs of generic Soma 350mg for $12.76 - is that beyone your means?

Old 03-14-2010, 06:32 AM   #8
Facilitator
(female)

SpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB User

Just remember the key is Soma 350mg which comes in generic where Soma 250mg does not.

Old 03-14-2010, 07:45 AM   #9
Senior Veteran
(male)

jonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB User

So by a tablet cutter, and take 3/4 of a 350mg tablet.

Old 03-14-2010, 07:01 PM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

tattoogirl HB User

Thanks SO much for the info! So funny because I was on 350mg from my previous PCP and my new PCP changed to the 250mg (on 2nd script) and prescribed as 1, 3x's a day but I still only took at night when needed. I haven't filled the Flexiril, need something, but haven't since it increased my anxiety in the past. It's still sitting at pharmacy. So should I call the doctor on Monday (not pick up the flexiril) and say this is probably the issue? Should I call the pharmacy first and ask? It's not the medication but the mg's? I was on 350mgs for all those years and even my first script at the new place was 350. The 2nd time it was called in I noticed the dosage was lowered but the x's of day were increased. So the best thing is to call my doc and explain this? I hate to go fiddling with trying different meds when I haven't had an issue with this one! Thanks!

Old 03-14-2010, 07:59 PM   #11
Facilitator
(female)

First, call the pharmacy and ask them what Soma 350 generic would cost you per month.

Then call the doc an explain that you, in the past, were successfully on Soma 350. And you did better on that than Flexeril. As Soma 250 is not available as a generic it costs $xxx per month (and not covered by insurance), but Soma 350 is available in generic at cost of only $xxx per month.

Thus, ask that they please prescribe Soma 350 with generic equivalent approved.

My hubby got a Rx for Soma 250 for his shoulder. There was a card that offered the first prescription free. He filled it. He then found out that if he were to refill it the cost was something close to $300 per month. When he saw the doctor last week he told the doctor who had no idea what Soma 250 would cost with no insurance coverage.

Docs may know generics are less, but don't know how crazy costs of meds may be. Flexeril is commonly prescribed as doctor's know it's available in generic and generally well tolerated. For me I developed a tolerance to Flexeril and it no longer worked. Now on Soma 350 generic 2x/day.

Closed Thread