It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pain Management Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-15-2010, 11:34 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

schao HB User
Oxycontin (brand) vs. Oxycodone ER (generic)....

Hi everyone,

Currently I take Oxycontin (brand) 30 mg's twice a day. I took my refill in and this time (this is only the 2nd time I have filled this medicine they gave me Oxycodone ER (generic). I realize they are both the same technically but has anyone tried both of these, and has one helped better than the other? I can get brand or generic so I just decided to take the brand instead b/c that's what I had last time and the doctor gave me a really good coupon.

Thanks for the help,
Sherrie

Old 03-16-2010, 01:48 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

schao HB User
Re: Oxycontin (brand) vs. Oxycodone ER (generic)....

Can anyone help? Maybe they help the same?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-16-2010, 02:36 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

AnnD HB UserAnnD HB User

Whenever you can get the brand name of any medication is always a better choice. If your doctor specifically orders it then that is what they must give you but generally the doctor allows the pharmacy to make the choice and also your insurance company may not pay for anything but generic? Unless you make it an issue with both doctor and the pharmacy ... they will generally give you the generic...there is so much controversy over Oxycontin/Oxycodone. The generic isn't being manufactured anymore and only pharmacies that have a good stockpile will have the generics...but there is no shortage of the brand name so perhaps they had the brand name the first time. Having said that my husband has had both brand and generic in different doses and he doesn't notice any difference.

Old 03-16-2010, 05:19 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(male)

jonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB User

For most people, most of the time, generics work fine.

What is usualy the key is sticking to one manufacturer so you get a constant resule, not Brandname Oxycontin this month, Watson next month, and someone elses the week after.

Some people do notice a difference, but these differences have never been proved in blind trials, and well may be psychological ("I paid a lot more for the genuian brand name, it must be stronger") In some cases, there may be a real difference in effect for certain individuals, and like everything, its an individual decision.

One point to remember is that the fantastic prices demanded for brand names would soon render health insurance bankrupt if everyone took brand name rather than generic

(for example, 100 Valium tablets cost several hundered dollars, where as 100 Generic diazepam tablets cost about 10 dollars)

Last edited by jonnstar; 03-16-2010 at 05:23 PM.

Old 06-12-2011, 06:23 AM   #5
(male)

Whitfield10 HB User

I have been on Oxycontin for several years--The only generic that came close to the same relief was the Watsen--The Teva were terrible. Now, no generics are available, but I recently found out about a $70 coupon a patient had received from his pain management doctor--Since my prescriber is a gastro-enterologist, he does not know anything--I am contacting Purdue to see what I can do because even with insurance it costs me $100 for a 60 day supply at 2 --40MG/day--anyone know of a pharmaqcy that still has the OC type rather than the newer OP type I received? OP works well, just takes a lot longer to kick in.

Old 06-13-2011, 04:34 PM   #6
(male)

mju58 HB Usermju58 HB Usermju58 HB Usermju58 HB Usermju58 HB Usermju58 HB User

I'm not too sure but maybe it has to do with what part of the US you live in, but I take 80mg Oxycontins and there has never been a generic available around my area. There was obviously the matter of the OC's versus the OP's when that switch was made but that wasn't a generic issue. I wonder what's going on and also, I've never seen these "coupons" that are being mentioned. I doubt it would help me much since I only spend $35 a month out-of-pocket for my meds.

Closed Thread