It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pain Management Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-20-2010, 07:15 AM   #1
(female)

jdsun HB User
Update on my taper from pain meds....

I thought I would start a new thread to discuss my issues with my taper. I am hoping others have been through this and can offer advice, and also that I can also help others who will go through the same.

I am down to 60mg of Kadian per day (2, 30mg pills). For a quick review I was taking about 100mg of Oxycodone a day and 160mg of Kadian. I stopped the Oxy in about 1 1/2 weeks and have been dropping the Kadian every 5 days by 30mg.

Here is what I have to report so far:
1) Restless legs are getting a little troublesome at night. Not enough to keep me awake, but annoying at times. My husband gives me a backrub and that seems to help for some reason?

2) I am waking up at 3-4am and having trouble falling back to sleep for some reason. By later afternoon, I am pretty wiped.

That's about it. I have dropped a tremendous amount of narcotics and the most amazing thing is.....my pain is ok!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I still cannot believe it. A few short months ago, I would have read this post from someone else and said, "well, that will never be me" .

Anyway, just wanted to start a new thread with some updates in case anyone else is intereted in what the life is like for a chronic pain patient to stop their narcotic medication after being told that they would be on it for the rest of their lives!

Jdsun

Old 03-20-2010, 08:16 AM   #2
(female)

Angelique43 HB User
Re: Update on my taper from pain meds....

Hi Jdsun...I just posted on your other thread. I hadn't seen this one yet. I have been following your progress eversince your pain "mysteriously" improved. Thank God, for that, huh? What a miracle! You must be so happy! I think you're doing an excellent job with your tapers! Keep up the good work! I wish you continued success. Your story gives alot of people who are suffering with chronic pain every day alot of hope & inspiration. You are a true testament to show people that they should never give up hope. All the best. Take care.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-21-2010, 07:04 AM   #3
(female)

nancyjo HB User

Jdsun, I am SO happy for you...what tremendous progress you are making! My own personal concern (if I were tapering) is that I worry I am so psychologically addicted at this point; I know/expect my body to start aching and my neck/lower back/SI joints to start hurting every few hours...I can't imagine being free of that.

Having said that, however, I picked up the book you recommended yesterday. I think it's one of his oldest, but hopefully with give me some info/insight. I tried to read some last night after studying for several hours, but I was just too darn tired! I will keep you posted.

I take SA Ambien at night and sometimes it starts to wear off after about 5 hours; I wake up and can't fall back to sleep or start having nightmares (which is why I take it). When that happens, I make a cup of Traditional Medicinals Nighty-Night tea and it seems to do the trick. You can find it in the natural foods area of the grocery store. Hopefully that will help you!

Congratulations again...so happy for you!
nancyjo

Old 03-21-2010, 12:06 PM   #4
Veteran
(female)

bullymom HB Userbullymom HB User

JD.... I am thrilled to hear your continued success with getting off the meds. I think when one of us is able to do this, the rest of us see you as SUPERMAN. The thoughts of even trying to come off the meds scares me to death. I am on the patch and after coming to the boards and reading about what a nightmare it is to try and come off the patch, I think I have it in my mind that it will be impossible for me. I don't see myself having the strength to go through it. Having said that, it is so encouraging to hear a story like yours and it does give me a glimmer of hope and I thank you for that.

Even when your pain subsides it takes a great deal of strenght to do what you have done. I hope you continue to do well and please keep posting. I look for your posts first when I log on just to see how your doing.

Congrats

Bullymom

Old 03-21-2010, 05:32 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(male)

jonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB User

Have you tried taking a Unisom tablet (not the liquid gels) at bedtime?

That is longer acting, and might help you sleep through the night.

Multiple anecdotes do not equal evidence - Me

Old 03-22-2010, 07:00 AM   #6
(female)

jdsun HB User

Angelique4- Thanks so much! I never would have thought I would be someone to taper off of pain meds. But here I am....plugging along and doing ok!

nancyjo- I was also VERY afraid of the psychological addiction.....to the point where I had to go to a pain psychologist to work through this. I suffered in pain for too long due to my fears. Not everyone who takes pain meds becomes psycholgically addicted. I now believe this! I am glad you picked up the book. It may not apply to you, but it is very interesting to read how the mind can play a big role in our pain and our body. I do think there is something to that.

bullymom- Thanks so much for the kind post! I hope I can continue to taper with success. I do have to say that for me the FEAR of it has been much worse than the actual taper. I went online and read all these horror stories and was expecting the same.

Jonstar- I thankfully have slept well the past 2 nights, but will definitey take something stronger if the no sleep sets in again. I cannot function with no sleep.

Well, today I am down to the end of my taper!!! I am taking ONE pill a day and that is it! It is a 30mg Kadian pill. I will take this ONE pill for five days, and on Saturday, I will take NOTHING .I almost cannot even believe it. My pain has been the same throughout this. It is still there, but very managable. I will keep updating and let you all know how it goes. Again, I am trying to keep the fear down.....

Jdsun

Old 03-22-2010, 12:05 PM   #7
Veteran
(female)

Thumbs up Re: Update on my taper from pain meds....

OMG!! Can you believe it??? You are almost narcotic free!! I am more than happy for you. In some small way, I feel like I have been able to join in with your joy. I hope you know what an inspiration you have been. I can't wait until Saturday when you can say.... I DID IT!! I think the key to your success has been to follow your plan to the T. I'm so glad you didn't decide to quit the taper and go cold turkey. Thanks for sharing this with us JDsun.

Have a great day!!

Bullymom

Old 03-22-2010, 12:20 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

Ilovemycutedog HB UserIlovemycutedog HB UserIlovemycutedog HB UserIlovemycutedog HB UserIlovemycutedog HB UserIlovemycutedog HB UserIlovemycutedog HB UserIlovemycutedog HB UserIlovemycutedog HB UserIlovemycutedog HB UserIlovemycutedog HB User

Yea for JDSun!!! What an amazing journey you are on and what a blessing that your pain is staying manageable too!

I have learned through my years of living with chronic pain to take the least amount of medicine I can each day as being 50% better than where I started is wonderful! As well as doing so many other modalities like yoga, exercise, aqua therapy, cognitive behavioral therapy, kiniseology, vitamin supplements, eating all organic, etc.

I think that too many people...especially some that are new to chronic pain...just want to go to a Dr. and demand some narcotic pill that will take it all away...(and continue to eat terribly, refuse to exercise and still smoke!! )...we have unfortunately gotten to a place in society where no one wants to take any control/responsibility over their lives as well...A Dr. is our partner in our life with chronic pain.we have to be a participant..there is a place for medicine..as I am on this myself...but it's a small percentage in all that I do each day to help with my pain...

So BRAVO to you for taking things into your hands to help live the best life for you!! You are a great inspiration

Last edited by Ilovemycutedog; 03-22-2010 at 12:50 PM.

Old 03-22-2010, 12:59 PM   #9
(female)

Angelique43 HB User

Jdsun...Hi! i'm with bullymom, i can't wait until Saturday so that you can say "I DID IT!!!" You must be so proud & so excited. I'm very happy for you! Congrats! ! ! Please continue to keep us posted & take good care of yourself.

bullymom...Hi! how are you? I just love those little green dancing cheerleaders! lols! Take care.

Old 03-23-2010, 08:14 AM   #10
(female)

jdsun HB User

Last night was ROUGHHH........but not due to me. We had to take my 3yr daughter to the ER because she was so sick (throwing up and diareha). The poor thing threw up every 10 minutes for 6 hours straight. We were at the hospital until 2am. I then had to get up and take my 5yr old to preschool at 8am. So, needless to say........I AM TIRED!

The doctors believe my daughter has that nasty stomach virus that is spreading like wildfire. They cautioned that it is VERY contagious. Several of my friends have had it and every single person in the house caught it within days.

I had some bathroom issues 2 weeks ago when I first started my Kadian Taper and thought it was due to that. Then I found out about this bug and how my symptoms were the same. I was also exposed from a friend at that time. So, I have no idea if I already had it or if it's on it's way to me. Not to be graphic, but my daughter initially got sick ALL over me. No way I could stay away from her last night.

So, what happens when you take a long-acting medication and have the stomach bug? This particular one can make you throw up for hours straight. I have 3 more days of taking my one pill then nothing. Hopefully the bug stays clear of me and I can finish my taper as planned. My belly did feel a little upset this morning, but I took a zofran and it feels better. I get this way though when I am over-tired and stressed.

Anyways, thanks for listening to my life story here..ha. I am resting in my bed with my daughter while she watched cartoons and resting too.

Jdsun

Old 03-23-2010, 10:18 AM   #11
Veteran
(female)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angelique43 View Post
Jdsun...Hi! i'm with bullymom, i can't wait until Saturday so that you can say "I DID IT!!!" You must be so proud & so excited. I'm very happy for you! Congrats! ! ! Please continue to keep us posted & take good care of yourself.

bullymom...Hi! how are you? I just love those little green dancing cheerleaders! lols! Take care.
Thank you dear angelique. The cheerleaders don't get out much and when they do..... oh well you see how they act!! Thanks for the kind words you always have for everyone here. Amazing what a few words of kindness and encouragment can do for someone. I always enjoy your posts.

Oh my JDsun,
What a terrible night!! I hope the worst is over for her. Maybe you did have a touch of the bug a couple of weeks ago. The best advice I can give you is wash your hands even when you think you don't have to. When your a mommy and your kids need you, that always takes priority over anything else. Hope the bug is on its way out of your house and try to do as little as possible today and get a good nights sleep tonight. Hang in there my friend.... you are almost there!!

Bullymom

Old 03-23-2010, 10:28 AM   #12
Senior Veteran
(female)

Ilovemycutedog HB UserIlovemycutedog HB UserIlovemycutedog HB UserIlovemycutedog HB UserIlovemycutedog HB UserIlovemycutedog HB UserIlovemycutedog HB UserIlovemycutedog HB UserIlovemycutedog HB UserIlovemycutedog HB UserIlovemycutedog HB User

Sorry to hear about your daughter...I have actually had that stomach bug 3 times in the last 6 months! I lost about 15 pounds from all of that..Not the way you want!!..The longest one lasted about 2 weeks...and that was during our biggest back/back snow storms so thank goodness for caring neighbors who brought over bananas, bread, rice, and applesauce!

I would just double up on your vitamin C, vitamins, and tons of Pro and Pre biotics...you can run to a local health food/organic store to stock up..but both of these...I have since learned..can really help prevent getting this or having it last long..

So now I wash my hands like 20 times a day now!!! and wear thin gloves into all stores...don't care about the looks I get...can't afford to get sick again...

Hope that you stay well and good luck with the upcoming day of being off all your meds!!

Saying a prayer for your daughter to get better soon

Old 03-23-2010, 06:22 PM   #13
Senior Veteran
(female)

Pegala HB UserPegala HB UserPegala HB UserPegala HB UserPegala HB UserPegala HB UserPegala HB User

Dear JD,
Hang in there. I'm rooting for you as you wrap up your meds taper.
The joys of being a parent when the little ones get sick. Oh how I remember those days. I agree that hand washing is key to stay healthy.
Keep us posted on how you're doing. You are one amazing woman.
Peggy

Old 03-24-2010, 04:01 AM   #14
(female)

Angelique43 HB User

Jdsun...I'm very sorry to hear about your daughter being sick. Bless her little heart. I will keep her in my prayers as i have you during this rough time. I am wishing her a very speedy recovery. I hope this finds you doing well. Olny a few more days until you are drug free! I'm so excited for you! Keep your chin up & keep up the good work & i will pray that that nasty bug is on its way out of your house! Take care & i hope that you get some much needed rest. God Bless.

bullymom...Hi sweety! i hope that you are doing good. I just wanted to thank you for the kind words. I appreciate it so much. I always enjoy reading your posts also! Take care & God Bless! These are for you!

Old 03-24-2010, 06:33 AM   #15
(female)

jdsun HB User

I was in rough shape this morning. Withdrawals are kicking in. I guess dropping from 60mg to 30mg is quite a large drop to your system. I am on day 3 of 30mg and then NOTHING. So I am sure my body is NOT going to like me even more in a few days.

Before this morning, everything I felt was pretty minor. I woke up feeling that crawling out of your skin feeling. I was sooo tired but could not lie in bed without tossing and turning and tossing and turning. At least I did sleep some last night. Then when I got up the shower felt good. Then it all come back and I was literally pacing my house. I could not believe it! I've seen this on TV, but never experienced that feeling before. I started to panic, and this made things ever worse. My AMAZING husband got the kids ready for school and asked me about that other med my doctor gave me to help with the withdrawals. I told him I didn't want to take it because I was so tired of being on drugs. He told me my dr. would not have given it to me if it was going to really hurt me long-term. I have a great PM doctor. Well, after 20 more mintues of this intense creepy want to jump out of your skin feeling, I took 1/2 of the .50 mg of Clorazapan. Within 10 minutes I was feeling better and able to sit still! I then realized that I had taken this drug a few times before after my hysterectomy surgery.....to help calm down my pain from that and my back.

I really REALLY did not want to take it, but at least I can 1/2 function right now. I have my 3 and 5 yr old to take care of and the state I was in this morning, was not good. I have to go to my sons Easter party at school in an hour and really don't want him to be the only one without a parent present.

Thanks everyone for all your encouraging words and support you've given me. I hate to even say this, but PLEASE keep posting.....I am going to need the support more than ever.

I am to take my last 30mg pill in two days. Then I will be done. I KNOW that the withdrawals I felt this morning will be even worse after this. I am really getting scared but also know that I am this close, I cannot stop. I keep telling myself that in a week, I should be over the worst...right?

P.S.....I have read that coming off of the clorazapan can be VERY difficult too, and this is why I was so hesitant to take it. But it really did calmn down those awful jump out of your skin feeings. Do you think If I continue to take 1/2 a pill 1 or 2x a day for the next week will be a problem when it comes to stop? I heard you cannot just stop this drug or it can be very dangerous. But if I only take it for one week, is that ok? I have an apt with my PM doctor on Friday so I guess i can see what he says. As great as he is, he sometimes downplays withdrawals.....

THanks!!!
Jdsun

Last edited by jdsun; 03-24-2010 at 06:38 AM.

Closed Thread