It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pain Management Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-30-2010, 02:43 PM   #1
(male)

yarblockers HB User
Allergy to Hydrocodone?

I was prescribed Hydrocodone + APAP 5/500 and Ibuprofen for a bulging disc. I have been prescribed this medication about 5 times over the last 10 years for various sports related injuries. I was taking 1 or 2 Hydrocodone pills at a time usually twice a day for 3 days, and then one morning I took one pill and about an hour to hour and a half later I experienced numbness and tingling in my right arm, then labored breathing, a rush to the head, and I felt like I almost was going to pass out. This was brief but the tingling in my arm persisted for a few hours. Thinking this was maybe unrelated, I twice repeated taking one Hydrocodone pill over the next 30 hours, without Ibuprofen, and each time the same thing happened.

It seemed like I had developed a sudden allergy to Hydrocodone, so I saw the health center at my school which had prescribed it to me. They came to a similar conclusion, and since I was starting to feel better we decided I would stop the pills. I tried taking just APAP and had no reaction, so it does seem it's the Hydrocodone. My question is, if I am allergic to Hydrocodone, does this mean that I am likely allergic to other opioids, and if so, is there a test for this? My allergy to Hydrocodone is implied, so it probably won't be on my record. I don't want to go to the hospital one day with an injury, get pumped full of morphine, and find out the hard way I am allergic to all opioids.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-31-2010, 08:52 AM   #2
(male)

lifeaftr40 HB Userlifeaftr40 HB User
Re: Allergy to Hydrocodone?

not necessarily. I know people allergic to Codeine but can take Vicodin and percocets. Then there are folks who are allergice to morphinr but can take other narcotics

Old 03-31-2010, 08:54 AM   #3
(male)

yarblockers HB User

Are there any tests besides trial and error that could tell me what I am allergic to and what is OK?

Old 04-01-2010, 05:02 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

tiggertoo2174 HB Usertiggertoo2174 HB Usertiggertoo2174 HB Usertiggertoo2174 HB User

As someone who has very serious, life threatening allergies I think that it's very unlikely that this was an allergic reaction, in particular if there was no itching, no hives, no swelling of the lips, mouth, or throat. The tingling and numbness are more likely the result of the bulging disk or possibly some other orthopedic problem with your shoulder or arm, and the rest sounds like either you got a bit of the euphoric effect from the hydrocodone and didn't know what it was, or a panic attack. Many people get some mild itching from opiates, but that is not a true allergic reaction but a side effect, and can generally be handled with an OTC antihistimine.

The symptoms you described just aren't those that usually indicate an allergic reaction.

There are no specific tests for allergies to medications.

Tigg.

Last edited by tiggertoo2174; 04-01-2010 at 05:03 AM. Reason: Forgot something

Old 04-01-2010, 07:40 AM   #5
(male)

yarblockers HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiggertoo2174 View Post
As someone who has very serious, life threatening allergies I think that it's very unlikely that this was an allergic reaction, in particular if there was no itching, no hives, no swelling of the lips, mouth, or throat. The tingling and numbness are more likely the result of the bulging disk or possibly some other orthopedic problem with your shoulder or arm, and the rest sounds like either you got a bit of the euphoric effect from the hydrocodone and didn't know what it was, or a panic attack. Many people get some mild itching from opiates, but that is not a true allergic reaction but a side effect, and can generally be handled with an OTC antihistimine.

The symptoms you described just aren't those that usually indicate an allergic reaction.

There are no specific tests for allergies to medications.

XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX XX

I believe you may very well be right about this not being an allergic reaction, but there was a serious and negative reaction of some sort from the medication. It was not from the disc. It is in my lumbar and so shouldn't be affecting my arm. Secondly, it was only ever coupled with the other effects, which were not euphoric, but extremely frightening. They occurred the same period of time after taking 5 mg of Hydrocode when I had been taking 10 mg at a time for days before. I have taken this medication for numerous sports injuries over time and have taken as much as 20 mg for such injuries in the past. I seem to be more resistant than most to the stuff as I don't notice any druggy narcotic feeling unless I take 15 mg or more. I am very familiar with how this medication affects me. It was the meciation as I tested this theory twice more by taking a single 5 mg pill over the nexy day and a half with the same results.

Tigg.

Last edited by yarblockers; 04-01-2010 at 07:40 AM.

Closed Thread