It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pain Management Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-08-2010, 09:55 AM   #1
(female)

momwithnosleep HB User
Anyone have problems with SI Joint?

In Jan I had an ESI for L3-S1 back pain. Ended in a Spinal. In March I had the second which was successful. However, after a week the pain was MUCH worse than before the second ESI. I had to change both my PM dr and Neurosurgeon because of insurance issues. Both of the new dr's believe the pain I am feeling now is NOT from my back but my SI Joint instead. I am scheduled for an SI injection in mid May.
Has anyone ever had this???
The new dr, which i saw Tuesday, changed my meds. He took me off Celebrex and Neurontin. He kept me on the percocet (10-325) 4 a day. And he gave me an ointment to use 3-4 times per day on the area. Its called Voltaren Gel 1%. I HATE taking the percocet because I have 3 children of my own to take care of as well as one I babysit. (was 5 that I babysit but back problems caused me to cut back).
I also have a TERRIBLE time sleeping but none of my drs will give me anything other than a low dosage of zanex because I have 5 yr old twins and 1 of them is a Type 1 diabetic so I have to check his blood sugar during the night and have to be able to know what i am doing.
Anyway, I was just basically curious if anyone has had any SI joint problems.

Old 04-09-2010, 09:27 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

1sunny1 HB User1sunny1 HB User
Re: Anyone have problems with SI Joint?

I did have SI joint problems, I basically could not, (almost) not walk, I walked with a limp for about a month. I went to an orthopedic surgeon with my X-rays and he showed me where it was my SI joint. He said in a woman the si joint just sometimes gets worn out. Unlike you, I am much older, at the time I was 63. I could not sit on my right side, lay on it, or hardly walk. It was very annoying. After about a month and a half, it did go away, he did not give me anything for it, no pain meds, nothing, I do take ibuprofen 800mg, but that did nothing for it. All I can say is I hope it gets better soon, my pain management doctor that I have now said that they do give epidurals for that, so that is something to consider. I wish you well, I have had epidurals for my bulging disc in my cervical neck, it is something I think you should consider for you SI joint, it is nothing that keeps you from doing your job with your little ones at home.

Sunny

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-09-2010, 03:15 PM   #3
Veteran
(female)

bullymom HB Userbullymom HB User

I had an SI injection a few years ago and it was the only injection that EVER gave me any relief. It was amazing and the pain was gone immediately. I have had numerous injections and I was scared to death that the si was going to hurt like heck. For me, and I do stress for me.... it was wonderful. I haven't had a flare up in years, but when/if I do I will not hesitate to have it again.

So sorry to hear about your twins diabetes. I have twin girls and I can't imagine how difficult that must be for you. One other suggestion is to speak with your doctor about lidoderm patches. They do not cause drowsiness at all and some people find them helpful. I do believe they can have a very high co-pay. That is why I had to quit using them, but I don't know if there is a generic version by now or not. They did help some with SI pain.

Good luck to you and welcome to the boards!

Bullymom

Old 04-09-2010, 03:41 PM   #4
(female)

nancyjo HB User

I had a series of two injections into each SI joint, two weeks apart, nearly two years ago and found them to help tremendously. I had no trouble during the injections, despite not being sedated. They sent me home with a few Lidoderm patches, so you might ask if you can get some of those to try before asking them to give you a prescription, since bullymom said they're rather expensive.

Given the fact that you have to be up during the night to check you son's insulin level, I can see why they are not prescribing Ambien; it tends to have an amnesiac effect on many people. I had an online chat with my oldest son last night after taking mine and forgot half of what we discussed.

My PM doc has always said that "ice is your best friend" following any kind of injections, so do your best to ice the SI area after the procedure; bags of frozen peas work great for this.

Let us know how it goes...all the best,
nancyjo

Old 04-10-2010, 09:30 AM   #5
Veteran
(female)

Excellent Post Nancyjo,

I was thinking the exact same thing about ambien. I take mine most nights and I got a call one night from my daughter telling me my grandson pp'd in the potty and I didn't even remember that conversation. That is BIG NEWS, back then and I could not believe I did not remember getting the call at all. LOL

Like the idea of ice too.

have a good day mom and hope you have a goods night sleep. I have been known to have a cup of sleepy time tea as well. I took melatonin for several years with good results. That was bf the cp days.

Bullymom

Old 04-11-2010, 12:16 PM   #6
(female)

nancyjo HB User

bullymom, I had a doctor tell me once that the parent/precursor medication to Ambien was used in Vietnam as a sort of "truth serum" to get information from captured enemy soldiers.

Despite any amnesia, however, I cannot sleep without using it; I have horrible nightmares. Last night I was so tired that I just KNEW I could sleep without it...within two hours, I dreamed I was homeless, in a strange city, being arrested for trespassing, with no one to call for help...in light of that, I'll keep right on taking the Ambien! If I had little ones to take care of, though, I would have to find another solution; clearly it isn't an option for "momwithnosleep".

Melatonin might be a good alternative, though it had an opposite effect on me...I'm pretty sure I'm wired backward!

Cheers,
nancyjo

Old 04-12-2010, 07:28 AM   #7
(female)

momwithnosleep HB User

Thanks for all the replies. I am very hopeful that the injection is going to work. I just have to make it to May 14th which is actually my nephews High School Graduation as well.

For the sleep I KNEW I could not do Ambien or any of the others so my PCP dr told me to try taking a double dose of my zanex. I had 5mg ones that I take occasionally but she said give it a try. I did and I actually fell asleep rather quickly. The only thing is no matter what time I get in the bed i am wide awake at 3am...LOL But its still better than only getting 3 hours of sleep a night.

I inherited the momwithnosleep name when I got pregnant with the twins and toward the end I was so miserable because of the size of the babies (6.13 and 7.02 when born) that i couldn't sleep. Then I didn't sleep for typical newborn reasons times 2. Then when they were 2 1/2 one was diagnosed with diabetes so I have to check his blood glucose throughout the night on most night. Just when I thought I was gonna stop being momwithnosleep all the back problems started. My oldest is 9 and will be a teen before I know it and again there will be no sleep so I guess I am stuck with it...LOL

Thanks again,
You all have helped tremendously.

Old 04-12-2010, 10:24 AM   #8
Veteran
(female)

I can so relate to your name. I didn't realize how much I appreciated sleep until I got NONE. Also starting with a twin pregnancy. LOL... mine were not that large and they came early, 6 wks.... 3lbs 13 and a half ounces and 4lbs 9 oz. The real loss of sleep came when I got them home. Two babies under five lbs and not a relative or neighbor in sight. I don't remember how I managed to get through those first 3 months. To this day.... if I don't get a decent nights sleep, my whole body rebels, to the point of getting fever blisters.

Now that they are grown and out of the house, I really miss having them here, but they bring the grand babies and I love having them spend the night. It's so much easier having the grand kids.... my motto is.. sugar them up and send them home!!

Good night everybody

bullymom

Old 04-12-2010, 02:27 PM   #9
(male)

lifeaftr40 HB Userlifeaftr40 HB User

I have terrible SI issues that my PM doc saw from my MRI. I have had numerous injections, pain meds etc. The PM doctor did a radiofrequency ablations ( nerve burning with little radio ative rods ).. Now the WORSE of the pain is gone. i still have some sciatica down the middle of leg but NOTHING like it was..Do take a long acting med ( MS Contin 2x a day ) 10 mgs Norco up to 4x BT pain.

Old 04-15-2010, 06:00 AM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

Kasey443 HB UserKasey443 HB UserKasey443 HB UserKasey443 HB UserKasey443 HB UserKasey443 HB User

I have had a few SI injections, all with numbing and sedation. They work very well for the pain. The only thing I would suggest is to make sure your doc is numbing it first. My sis had one injection without any numbing at all and regretted it. For some reason, even though I have had 30 years of back problems, and treatments and surgery, it didn't occur to her to come to me to ask about the injection before having it. The injection did help in the end, but she said she would never have one again without it atleast being numbed. They do work well for me. Good luck, I hope you will get some relief.

Closed Thread