It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pain Management Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-20-2010, 03:07 AM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

schao HB User
Oh no....I lost my pain meds....

Hey all,

I need help!! I went out of town this weekend and LOST my pain medications. What on earth am I supposed to do..this has never ever happened. I've been in pain mgmt. for 3 years and I'm always so good about never losing them wherever I go. Crap! Will he get rid of me as a patient?
Has this happened to anyone else?? If it has..what did you do? My refill isn't for another 3 weeks..am I going to have to suffer that long??
I have a great pain doctor and I don't want to get in trouble or looked down upon..but I will if I call the office and tell them my situation. I have to call them though..I need my meds.
What should I do????

Thank you for any help!!
Sherrie

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-20-2010, 05:35 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

allanbruce HB Userallanbruce HB Userallanbruce HB Userallanbruce HB User
Re: Oh no....I lost my pain meds....

Can you get some sort of witness or a police report? If you had a Stat Dec signed by a someone that was with you witnessed by a JP or police officer to say they where left somewhere or they where stolen from where you left them that would carry some weight with the doctor or insurance company. Otherwise I don't know how you could get by without having them replaced. I only wish you well with getting through this. Allan

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-20-2010, 08:42 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(male)

Shoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB User

Hi Schao, I've signed a new PM contaract every year for the last 8 years and it clearfly says lost or stolen meds will not be replaced with or without a police report. Anyone can make a police report or have a friend swear out an AD. Fortunately The bulk of my meds are delivered by pump and my junkie neighbor only got BT meds and adjunct meds although I did install an alarm system and buy a safe you bolt to the floor for future protection. Part of our contract is very clear about making us responsable for safely storing these meds and keeping them out of the hands ofpeople that will abuse, divert or could potentially harm kids that don't understand the potency of these meds.

All that said, It's in a contract so there is no qauestion about what I will do in that case and what my responsability is, I simply went without for 3 weeks. However if you don't have a contract, it's very possible your doc will be more compassionate about the problem and give you a one time pass based on your past history of compliance and the relationship you have develped. However, you still have to get the meds paid for which may be a whole other battle when it comes to your insurance co. It may help to have a police report when asking your insurance to pay for something expensive twice.

Good luck, Dave

Old 04-20-2010, 10:13 AM   #4
(male)

lifeaftr40 HB Userlifeaftr40 HB User

IT is up to your Doctor. Mine requires a police report and insurance won't pay until the time for next fill. I have never lost mine but have had them stolen by "friends" before I got wise. I took what i had left and nibbled for the week until my next visit. I can't imagine going 3 weeks. Some people suggest going to hospital when being cut off from PM but all THEY do is shake their heads, call us addicts and give one shot in butt and call it a day. if you don't have a contract your PCP may give you enough to tide you over. if he changes the strength, it is possible insurance will push through since it is a " change" .If your PM will refill with a police report then you have to go that route. 3 weeks is too long to suffer. you will be all detoxed by then

Old 04-20-2010, 01:12 PM   #5
(female)

Shutter HB User

So sorry you are in that position, but honestly if that happened to me..I would just try and make it through the next three weeks...some how, some way. I think I would have my hubby take the seats out of the car to see if they fell down in them...and triple check my luggage. Have you called the place you visited to see if someone either turned them in? I left a ruby necklace on a hotel beside stand and I couldn't believe it, but when I called the hotel the maid had turned it in and it was at the front desk. They mailed it too me.

While I have had the same dr for 10 years now and she has been great....I can pretty much guarntee that not only would she say no, but there would also be a very good chance of her saying that I need to find another doctor altogether. (And I'm the one who took a pain contract into her to have both of us sign and have it in my records..because she doesn't require her patients to sign them and I wanted the protection a contract offers the patient and for her to see how serious I was about my care.) Anyway....

So if you think about it, it's three weeks of horrible pain vs this going on your record and following you around...which may effect you getting another good doc at all...It could be months before you found another doc who would actually prescribe you the meds you need. (But in the docs defense...they may be more worried about their license than replacing your lost meds, especially if she's a doctor that actually prescribes anything more than percoset.) I really do feel for you, because I couldn't even imagine...

One tip for the future, don't ever take all of your meds any where out of the house with you. I only take exactly what I need, just because of the situation you are finding yourself in now. You never know when your purse could get lost or stolen or maybe even your hotel room broken into....it's best to just leave what you don't need at home.

Let us know what you decide... and best of luck!
Shutter

Last edited by Shutter; 04-20-2010 at 05:20 PM.

Old 04-20-2010, 01:32 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

Fiona_Jo HB UserFiona_Jo HB UserFiona_Jo HB UserFiona_Jo HB UserFiona_Jo HB UserFiona_Jo HB User

For the most part (from my experience) and from what I have read is the experience of others that are in Pain Management is there is usually strict rules about replacing lost or stolen pain medications. From a Doctor's viewpoint medications are completely the responsibility of the the patient. That is why the best bet when you are traveling, just take the amount needed for the trip and keep the remainder locked up in a safe place at home. If you feel you have a good relationship with your Doctor and maybe there is something they'd be willing to do until your prescriptions are due for refill.

I'm so sorry this happened.

~ Fiona Jo

Last edited by Fiona_Jo; 04-20-2010 at 01:32 PM.

Old 04-20-2010, 02:51 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

ibake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB User

I KNOW that my doc won't give a refill because of the contract that I signed...and we have a great relationship. He has the DEA breathing down his neck on the number of scripts he writes as it is. So most docs won't write a duplicate script..which your insurance won't cover anyway...

When we were in Japan over the holidays, I had to take only the amount I needed as Class II meds are illegal in Japan and I had to get special approval to carry the meds I did....

Old 04-20-2010, 04:54 PM   #8
Veteran
(female)

bullymom HB Userbullymom HB User

Well I think the jury is in and the verdict is: Don't call your doctor and ask for a replacement. You have gotten some great advice from some members whom I respect highly. If these people told me to stand on my head in a corner and stack greasy bee bee's, I would ask them which corner??

Best of luck to you and let this be a very valuable lesson learned.

Regards,

Bullymom

Old 04-20-2010, 09:12 PM   #9
(male)

Myofascial Pain HB UserMyofascial Pain HB User

This discussion has been rehashed a lot... There are a number of threads which talk about squirreling away a cache in case of emergencies or events such as this.. One I think is named Saving for a Rainy Day.
Check out those threads is the only advice I can add to everyone else's excellent advice.

~Myo

Old 04-20-2010, 10:47 PM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

schao HB User

Thank you all very much for your advice. It just irritates me b/c I've always been so good with my meds. So, I'll just have to wait until my next refill..I would never want to jeopardize the good relationship I have with my pain doctor, and I don't want anything horrible like that in my files.
I can do this, it's not the end of the world.
Thank you all again for the wonderful help.

Sherrie

Old 04-21-2010, 05:55 AM   #11
(female)

Shutter HB User

You can do it....stay positive. I am writing a list of some of the tricks I have used in the past...

I constantly have one of those frozen ice packs from coolers stuck inside my pants, so it holds it right against my back. Generally it freezes it until it's numb. That has helped me out of many bad nights. I got the idea from physical therapy, but they used frozen dixie cups of ice and rubbed those on your back until it went past the pain caused by freezing and then when it hit the numb stage...I was surprized how much it helped.

You can do Ibuprofen and Tylenol...but make sure you don't take too much of either. You certainly don't want to end up with a bleeding ulcer or anything like that.

There is a rub, called Capsaicin. It's essentially a cream make of cyan pepper that you put on your injured part. But make sure you use those throw away gloves when you put it on. Cause if you don't get it all washed off your hands (harder than it sounds) and you rub your eyes or touch your private parts...you are going to be in serious pain. You can get the Capsaicin at pharamacy. Info taken from a website: Capsaicin cream is also considered an analgesic and has properties that help to ease the pain by desensitizing the surrounding tissue. The properties of the capsicum or cayenne warms the area while also lowering the presence of the neurotransmitter known as Substance P. This in turn minimizes the amount of pain felt by the user while at the same time giving the skin and the underlying layers of tissue a feeling that is pleasant and warm.

There are also other rubs, like Icy Hot and Ben Gay. They both work good, but I found Absorbine Jr worked the best for me, even though it stinks.

Soaking in Epsom salts for 20 minutes helps, pain and sore muscles.

When you are laying on your side in bed, I put a pillow in between my legs...which really helps keep my spine lined up. I do this every night because it relieves so much pressure on my lower back.

If I think of anything else, I will post it. I did a quick search online to see what others recommend. I really feel for you...but I know you can do it. If you want, start another thread and ask other people what they do to get by if they don't have their meds...maybe someone else has some better ideas. Post an update to let us know how you are doing.

Shutter

Old 04-21-2010, 11:15 PM   #12
Senior Veteran
(female)

schao HB User

Thank you Shutter for your encouragement and pain help suggestions. I love hot baths and sometimes BenGay helps my legs as well. I am going to have withdrawals though and I don't know what to do about that at all.

I can do this though..I know I can!

Thanks so much,
Sherrie

Old 04-22-2010, 04:44 PM   #13
Veteran
(female)

bullymom HB Userbullymom HB User

Sherrie,

Over on the addiction/recovery board they have some great stickies and I believe one of them is a home detox plan and what to do to be as comfortable as possible. It's very well put together. If you get a chance, take a look at it and see if you can get some good ideas.

Most of all.... keep telling yourself, THIS IS ONLY TEMPORARY. Each day will get you closer to getting your meds again.

Keep us posted please. I wish you the best of luck with this, and I do believe you made the right decision. Having said that... I don't know if you lost all of your meds or just the heavy pain meds but. There are some meds that you simply cannot quit taking without putting yourself at risk. For example, I take baclofen 40 mg a day and have for years. That is NOT a med that you can stop suddenly. I had a friend who did that and ended up in the ICU for a week and doesn't remember a thing about being there. So, double check with your pharmacist and make sure that none of the meds are dangerous to stop CT.

Best of luck,

Bullymom

Old 04-24-2010, 11:20 AM   #14
(female)

Shutter HB User

How are you doing? I've been thinking about you. When I took myself off Oxy years ago...I looked up a detox plan on the net...which helped cause I didn't want to make myself really sick with withdrawals. But luckily, I didn't have anything but a little sweating.

Best luck...
Shutter.

Old 04-24-2010, 03:41 PM   #15
Facilitator
(female)

SpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB User

I had something different occur. The woman who cleans our house brought her boyfriend over to help last time since she is now pregnant. In preparation I hid my latest refill of my Norco break through so if he was at all interested he would not be able to find it (I still have my post-op brace on so it's like advertising "find my meds"). Here's where the funny part is....for the life of me I can not remember where I hid them. My hubby laughed and I just toughed it through until my next appointment. I usually have a few in my purse so I went through every purse and bag and came up with about 10 to kind of hold me over. I increased the use of my muscle relaxant to a more regular schedule (I had been using them only occasionally) and that helped a bit. I had an appointment 5 weeks apart so I called to move that appointment and they agreed to move it back a few days. So I have a stash.....I just have to find it someday. I too decided I could not tell my doctor. Ugh.

Closed Thread