It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pain Management Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-20-2010, 11:50 AM   #1
(male)

puna HB User
extreme pain in buttocks after toradol injection?

extreme pain in buttocks after toradol injection. Unable to walk without a cane and unbearable pain sitting, laying out or walking...for two weeks, since receiving toradol injection for sciatica.
Back is manageable...but the BUTTOCKS???
NON-STOP PAIN. DID THE NEEDLE POSSIBLY HIT A NERVE? I would like to give the doctor who injected me with a shot in HIS buttocks and say,

Old 04-20-2010, 04:01 PM   #2
Veteran
(female)

bullymom HB Userbullymom HB User
Re: extreme pain in buttocks after toradol injection?

If the doctor is the one who gave you the injection, my guess is he was aiming for the nerve but I have honestly not heard of injecting toradol right into the nerve. They usually use some kind of anesthetic and/or an anti inflammatory medication such as prednisone.

I hope you have called to report your symptoms to the doctor. If you haven't, please do. My best advice is to use ice and some type of nsaid such as ibuprofen or alleve. That probably isn't going to do much but I would give it a try.

Good luck,
Bullymom

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-21-2010, 06:39 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(male)

allanbruce HB Userallanbruce HB Userallanbruce HB Userallanbruce HB User

I had a nerve block injection some time back it was CT guided but the doctor who did it had trouble getting the needle right into the space where the nerve comes out and it took 3 goes to get the needle into the correct space. So I was very sore not where the needle went in so much but in a spot right on the bone sort of in the middle of my butt. It was sore fore about 4 months and really has only just settled down. I still get pain in that spot on both sides though so that pain is obviously from sciatica but along with that pain I now basically have pain from my waist down through my butt and into my thighs. So if anything it made the nerves in that side worse. At the moment my foot is twitching especially around my big toe. I don't know if that is any help but it sounds like it is in the same area.
Allan

Old 07-28-2010, 09:40 PM   #4
(male)

shinytop HB User

Very possible. I had a nurse attempt to give me an injection once. She prepped the area to be puntured with an alcohol swab. When she did this she was clear on my love handle close to my kidney area. I asked where the injection site was supposed to be and she said "the Hip". I told her she needed to do some more studying on human anatomy because she was at least 8-10 inches from my hip and buttocks. You always have to ask questions. The health care professionals don't always know everything they need to. By the way, she ended up giving it to me in the buttocks/hip but gave a nurse friend of mine the same injection where she had intended on giving it to me. My friend didn't speak up and had difficulty with pain at the injection site for several weeks. I work in Physical Therapy and it is very possible for someone to hit a nerve. The sciatic nerve runs across the buttocks over/under/ and sometimes between the piriformis muscle. I think sometimes nurses get in a rush to hustle people out because of over booking and don't take the time to give proper care. It's your health. Be direct and forceful if you have to if you ever feel something doesn't seem right. They're just like you and I. They just chose a different career. They make mistakes and it is fine to call them out on it. They may get irritated, but if in doubt, ask to talk to the doc.

Old 07-29-2010, 11:45 AM   #5
Facilitator
(female)

SpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB User

I've not heard of a Toradol injection directly to a nerve or pain point. Perhaps it was a steroid injection?

Last edited by SpineAZ; 07-29-2010 at 11:46 AM.

Old 07-30-2010, 11:38 AM   #6
(male)

Brokend HB UserBrokend HB UserBrokend HB UserBrokend HB UserBrokend HB User

I recently had a Toradol injection for back pain. They asked me if I wanted it in the hip or arm and I chose arm this time. It usually hurts in the hip for a few hours to a day, like a charlie-horse, but not much after that at all.

This latest shot, however, was given in the upper arm and it hurt like crazy going in, and it also hurt pretty bad for the next few days. It hurt all the way down to my hand and even left my fingertips feeling tingly.
I wondered the same thing, if the nurse may have hit a nerve on accident (or not an accident, she just jammed it in there) or something.
I also thought that perhaps there is a new/upgraded version of Toradol and that was the cause.

Not sure tho.

Closed Thread